Julius F/W 07.08

mike lowrey

First off, it's a shame that the lighting on the pictures isn't perfect, because it makes it difficult to judge the fabrics and details, especially with most of the pieces being black.

I agree that while the ensembles look quite good, I don't see very many pieces being too wearable. But I'll reserve my judgment on this one as I'm sure someone on here or on szg will pull it off.

Not wearable?? That pic Lowrey posted is pretty much how I dress 50% of the time...In fact most of the looks are highly wearable; we're talking slim pants/jeans tucked into boots + flowly top + slim fitting sportscoat or leather jacket. If you think it is too dark just try to picture it with different colours and you'll see this is a great silhouette all-around.

Not wearable?? That pic Lowrey posted is pretty much how I dress 50% of the time...In fact most of the looks are highly wearable; we're talking slim pants/jeans tucked into boots + flowly top + slim fitting sportscoat or leather jacket. If you think it is too dark just try to picture it with different colours and you'll see this is a great silhouette all-around.

thats why I posted that pic, its my favorite look because to me it looks much more wearable then the other outfits ;) maybe seeing some individual items would help me to see them better, but as full outfits some of them are too much for me.

The brightened pics help a lot, the different looks now have some proper depth when it comes to texture and details on them which make the silhouettes, which I thought were great before anyways, visually pop even more. I think a lot of the stuff is definitely wearable.

The '06 collection is still my favourite, it was such a cool blend of hobo junkie, grimey streetpunk and post-apocalyptic scavenger. I loved it.

There's some things about Julius that I quite like; Fabrics, color palette, and everything looks pretty comfortable.

But then, I really don't like the styling and over-drape-everything look. This, is of course a personal preference, but sometimes I just feel they over style and it ends up looking borderline messy instead of well pieced together. Again, I realize this is thier aesthetic, but it's just not something that appeals to me personally.

Another thing, and this is more recent, but they need to start differentiating themselves from Attachment. I don't know if they are some way affiliated (I don't think they are) but if you look at the Attachment lookbook and this one, at first glance they look the same. And i'm not necessarily talking about the models, the styling looks very similar as well as the pictures and 'look'.

Overall, I like some of the pieces by themselves, I think they can definitely be incorporated well with other designers (Attachment, RO, etc.) but Julius everything is just too much for me.

Overall, I like some of the pieces by themselves, I think they can definitely be incorporated well with other designers (Attachment, RO, etc.) but Julius everything is just too much for me.

To be fair, Julius was the first brand that got into this kind of style and they haven't changed much during the years, they've just been modifying the same basic idea and I admire them for the consistency and managing to make each season look different.

Attachment is a kind of trend-hopping brand, albeit they do what they do very well. This past season has been more rock/punk inspired for them, F/W 07/08 looks like Julius—so you can see that there's no consistency when you go from rock to post-apocalyptic style.

To be fair, Julius was the first brand that got into this kind of style and they haven't changed much during the years, they've just been modifying the same basic idea and I admire them for the consistency and managing to make each season look different.

Attachment is a kind of trend-hopping brand, albeit they do what they do very well. This past season has been more rock/punk inspired for them, F/W 07/08 looks like Julius—so you can see that there's no consistency when you go from rock to post-apocalyptic style.

This is true. Julius has been around since the last 90s under the moniker "Nuke". The label really took to the dark-gothic-look from 2003 and I think it's most serious first collection was the Thieves collection a few seasons back. That said, the look has been fairly consistent and really took prominence with their spring 2005/2006 collection which had a Dior-ish feel with more organic/unusual cuts and a dark feel. Their best collection IMO, as a previous poster has recommended, was their 2006 A/W collection "Fixed", which was a mix of street/gothic/military. The only other label with original roots in this aesthetic from Japan is The Virdi-Anne which is actually the parent company of Attachment. Factotum is also a side business partner w/ Attachment hence the similiarities. But Attachment has been more of a rock-Dior-inspired label and to be fair is taking a large token of inspiration from the Julius aesthetic for their most recent collection. Aside from Runner on TFS, I think I'm probably the first poster to purchase/post/wear Julius on superfuture or any other fashion board and probably more than half my wardrobe is Julius now. I think the pieces are reasonably priced and high-quality. True, some pieces are a bit extreme, but I respect and appreciate the label's desire to push the envelope in men's wear without appearing gimmicky and contrived.

This is true. Julius has been around since the last 90s under the moniker "Nuke". The label really took to the dark-gothic-look from 2003 and I think it's most serious first collection was the Thieves collection a few seasons back. That said, the look has been fairly consistent and really took prominence with their spring 2005/2006 collection which had a Dior-ish feel with more organic/unusual cuts and a dark feel. Their best collection IMO, as a previous poster has recommended, was their 2006 A/W collection "Fixed", which was a mix of street/gothic/military. The only other label with original roots in this aesthetic from Japan is The Virdi-Anne which is actually the parent company of Attachment. Factotum is also a side business partner w/ Attachment hence the similiarities. But Attachment has been more of a rock-Dior-inspired label and to be fair is taking a large token of inspiration from the Julius aesthetic for their most recent collection. Aside from Runner on TFS, I think I'm probably the first poster to purchase/post/wear Julius on superfuture or any other fashion board and probably more than half my wardrobe is Julius now. I think the pieces are reasonably priced and high-quality. True, some pieces are a bit extreme, but I respect and appreciate the label's desire to push the envelope in men's wear without appearing gimmicky and contrived.

dj do you by any chance have any pictures for the SS05 Julius collection? I am just curious on what they did that year. It would be even better if we had early seasons' pic.

I would love to see some of this stuff in person. When I try to think about how they get the drapyness from a single piece of fabric it boggles my mind! This stuff is so damn cool, I think its time for me to save up for a trip to Japan!

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't at all related to AW07, but I stumbled across something I found pretty funny; a Japanese noise guy sporting Julius:

Oh no. Now I'm becoming able to spot specific designers in poorly lit noise videos..

I owned those pants. You'll need to wear boots with those, otherwise they really do look boot cut (in that bad amjack way). With boots though, they look spectacular, it's a nice straight leg with the twisting at the hem. My only problem with it, and most of Julius's pants is that the cut always seems to accentuate the hips, which is bad for big hip guy.

If I'm not mistaken the A/W 06 twist jeans didn't have a huge hem, they are just straight leg with that twist taper. Whereas the S/S 07 is a boot cut by measurement, but look straight when worn.

I owned those pants. You'll need to wear boots with those, otherwise they really do look boot cut (in that bad amjack way). With boots though, they look spectacular, it's a nice straight leg with the twisting at the hem. My only problem with it, and most of Julius's pants is that the cut always seems to accentuate the hips, which is bad for big hip guy.

If I'm not mistaken the A/W 06 twist jeans didn't have a huge hem, they are just straight leg with that twist taper. Whereas the S/S 07 is a boot cut by measurement, but look straight when worn.

Thanks for the info! ;)

Just a quick question, the hem for this pair of julius denim (link: http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d75425043) measures 24cm across. Isnt that kinda huge? If so how exactly does the jeans fall? wraps around the legs? anyone care to shed some light?

I have the same pants. I wanted to wear them with regular shoes so I tapered the hem a bit to make it a straight leg. easy to do and they're basically now straight pants with the twist effect