Dirty Dozen +1 (Around the world...)

cheep

was this fuckng awesome?  

274 members have voted

1. 1. was this fuckng awesome?

• yes
    • fuck yes
    • no.

this morning we took a trip to the EM hotel. EM stands for “Effective Microorganisms” and the concept was developed by a Okinawan Professor named Dr. Higa, 25 years ago. Basically, EM is a culture of friendly bacteria strains and yeasts that can be used for an incredible number of different uses. the basic idea is: instead of using environmentally harmful chemicals to kill bad bacteria, you can use EM to increase the number of beneficial bacteria. this will naturally balance out the microbial environment wherever you use it—whether it be on your farm, in your washing machine, at the garbage dump or even in your intestines.

EM is used to improve soil quality and increase crop yields. it's used for disease control (it was used in the aftermath of hurricane katrina to stop the spread of disease). it can be used for health. it can be used to treat water to make it drinkable. it can be applied to many household uses. it does this all naturally—without any chemicals or dangerous substances. also, since the ingredients in EM are naturally occurring microbial cultures, it's cheap and supplies can easily be increased. so, it's ideal for sustainable agriculture and environmentally friendly living.

today, i am specifically looking for an EM laundry detergent. after i workout, the humidity and heat in okinawa makes my workout gear smell horrible. i tried using different chemical detergents but they don't work. they tend to just cover the smell. since the odor is mostly caused by bacteria, EM should theoretically be able to take care of it. so, we headed to the EM hotel, where you can live an EM lifestyle. everything in the hotel uses EM and they have a lot of EM products available.

1.jpg

2.jpg

enjoying the view from the hotel terrace...

3.jpg

the hotel has an EM store where we found a lot of EM goods.

EM brown sugar:

4.jpg

5.jpg

EM coffee:

7.jpg

EM skin lotion:

8.jpg

EM beer and wine!

9.jpg

10.jpg

i finally found what i was looking for, EM laundry detergent:

6.jpg

i found something even better. you spray this on your clothes and let it sit for a while. the EM goes to work and decreases the number of smelly bacteria, leaving your clothes smelling EM-rific!

12.jpg

i'm looking forward to testing this out to see if it really works.

all that EM hunting made us hungry, so we headed to A&W. many of you will recognize A&W from the states. there are tons of A&W restaurants in okinawa. it's where i go when i need a real american cheeseburger.

13.jpg

just like an old-school burger joint you can dine in your car, meaning you can park next to the microphone, make your order and they will come out and bring you your food. unfortunately, they don't wear roller skates here.

14.jpg

we decided to eat inside.

i ordered a bacon double cheeseburger with chili cheese curly fries and a mug of A&W root beer. unlimited refills on the root beer!

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

afterwards, we went furniture shopping.

19.jpg

i met someone there who had a limited edition pair of Doraemon Evisu's. doraemon is the most beloved kids cartoon character in japan. he is a robot cat from the future.

21.jpg

22.jpg

that meal at A&W made me really sleepy. luckily there were plenty of beds available for a little nap.

23.jpg

when i woke up, i saw a bunch of kids staring at me. i checked my pockets to make sure they didn't jux me while i was sleeping. :)

24.jpg

next, we went to the mall. after some shopping, we went to the food court.

many japanese restaurants have displays outside filled with plastic replicas of the food they serve. kinda like a 3D life-size menu.

25.jpg

26.jpg

i saw some funny engrish on a sign for a conveyor belt sushi spot.

27.jpg

kaiten sushi (“conveyor belt sushi”) is just like it sounds. it's a sushi spot with a big conveyor belt that has sushi on it. you take what you want and when you're done, they count up the plates and you pay.

28.jpg

today, we settled for udon at hanamaru, which is a famous japanese udon chain restaurant.

29.jpg

30.jpg

next we went shopping for an air conditioner for yuki's boutique.

outside the electronics store, there were a bunch of people performing okinawan eisa folk dance. it's eisa season now, so you will often run into a perfomance at random places on the street. the sound of eisa is the sound of okinawa in the summertime. some nights you can hear the drums, music, chanting and whistling until the sun comes up.

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

after we watched the eisa dance we went to the electronics store.

36.jpg

in okinawa, they take their air conditioners very seriously.

37.jpg

this air conditioner has been yamori-proofed. yamori (or in okinawan language, “yaaru”) are cute little lizards that are related to the gecko. they can get into your AC and reek havoc.

38.jpg

while yuki was shopping for an AC, i went and tested out a massage chair.

39.jpg

on the way home, we stopped by a water store.

in okinawa, the tap water is very hard. although completely safe to drink, it doesn't taste that good. so, many people go to water stores to buy their water.

40.jpg

you can buy tanks which you can fill up.

41.jpg

this guy is filling up our water tank. the machines in the back purify and condition the water so that it's tasty, healthy and provides some micronutrients.

42.jpg

that's all for today!