Dirty Dozen +1 (Around the world...)

cheep

was this fuckng awesome?  

274 members have voted

1. 1. was this fuckng awesome?

• yes
    • fuck yes
    • no.

whatup bobo, english is not the norm here. being able to speak japanese helps a lot. but, people here are used to english speaking people (americans have lived here for over 60 years). thousands of people here don't speak any japanese but have lived here happily for years. the cost of living is very, very low here. however, this is the poorest prefecture in japan, with the highest unemployment (although, the u.s. unemployment rate has recently surpassed okinawa's unemployment rate). you would have to create your own opportunities here.

yesterday, we decided to go to yomitan, a nearby town.

2.jpg

the highways in okinawa are often lined with palm trees. on the left, over the barbed wire fence is the u.s. military base. the grass really is greener on the other side.

1.jpg

this entry to the base has two japanese-style red torii gates.

3.jpg

we stopped at one of yuki's favorite restaurants, hanaori soba.

4.jpg

5.jpg

if you look at the top right of the menu, you can see one of their specialties: noodle soup w/ chitterlings. i think i'm gonna pass on that one....

6.jpg

instead, i opted for the hanaori special noodles.

7.jpg

and yuki got the vegetable noodle soup, which is amazing.

8.jpg

next, we went to a nearby okinawan candy factory. that big red dome is a giant traditional okinawan hat. kinda like an okinawan sombrero.

18.jpg

19.jpg

19a.jpg

this is one of okinawa's most famous candies. it's made out of okinawan sweet potatoes, which are purple.

21.jpg

okinawan salt is famous for its nutritional value and its taste. many people believe its one of the secrets of okinawan longevity and vitality.

20.jpg

candies shaped like shisa.

22.jpg

more candies...

23.jpg

24.jpg

they had a bunch of shisa figurines. in okinawa, you see shisa everywhere. they are always outside peoples houses and are one of okinawa's most famous symbols. they are lion-dogs that guard the entrances to homes and businesses. i have two small shisa that i put next to my computer to guard it from viruses and spamware.

25.jpg

26.jpg

japanese toilets are pretty interesting. let me give you a little tour. not all japanese toilets are like this, but sometimes you will see toilets like this in people's homes or in a store.

many store bathrooms have disinfectant spray you can use to wipe the seat.

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

this is the interesting part. with this control panel you can control several options to liven up your toilet experience. the button with the red square is to stop whatever the toilet is doing. on the right of that is to turn on a little nozzle that comes out and sprays warm water right at your ass hole. to the right of that is a button for women that sprays water at the coochie. the button to the right of that turns on a dryer that dries your ass. the dial on the right controls the power of the water stream.

ok, many foreigners make the mistake of thinking that you can just let the water stream do all the work. this is not true! you have to wipe first. the stream is there just to give your ass that extra bit of cleanliness. if you don't wipe first, it can get pretty messy. so, please, wipe then use the water spray.

34.jpg

also, to help conserve water, there are two flush settings on many japanese toilets. for number 1's, you pull the lever back towards you. for number 2's, you push the level forward away from you.

35.jpg

next to the candy factory, there was a little wedding chapel on the beach. japanese people love to get married on the beach.

36.jpg

37.jpg

this couple just got married at the chapel and are getting their photos taken on the beach.

38.jpg

it was a nice day, sunny but not too hot.

39.jpg

i got my feet wet a little.

40.jpg

41.jpg

we drove through the sugarcane fields to get back to okinawa city.

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

that's it for now, perhaps more later....