Dirty Dozen +1 (Around the world...)

cheep

was this fuckng awesome?  

274 members have voted

1. 1. was this fuckng awesome?

• yes
    • fuck yes
    • no.

interesting thing happened today while i was waiting in line to get on base to teach my mma class. somebody behind me was saying, "yeah, and this is a picture of japanese repro denim from 1979." i turned around with the quickness and asked him if he just said "japanese repro denim." it was an american dude with a girl and another dude looking at pictures of japanese denim on his camera. apparently, he just got into this denim thing and was pretty enthusiastic about it. i asked him if he was on superfuture and he said no. i told him to check it out. this is the first time i've met an american over here who was into repro denim, so it caught me by surprise.

yesterday, we hung out with nakanishi-san aka "ism."

he was wearing a dope pair of hickory overalls.

1.jpg

for lunch, we went to farmer's market. it was the opening day of our friend's new restaurant, so we went to check it out.

on the way over, we walked over a bridge.

2.jpg

3.jpg

there were fish in there and we also saw a turtle. can you find the turtle? sorry, no prize for this. :)

4.jpg

there was an old exhaust pipe hanging from the ceiling. he keeps it just in case the one on his truck falls apart.

to the right is an old-school japanese buoy.

18.jpg

back in the day, all the buoys in japan were made out of green glass. now, they make nice decorations.

19.jpg

his welding helmet.

20.jpg

the door to his welding area.

21.jpg

calculator with pinstripes.

22.jpg

this is nakanishi-san's truck. it's a type of truck called a "kei-truck." it's small and is very fuel efficient--great for moving stuff around. if you remember, they also have "kei-cars" here which are also very economical.

29.jpg

of course, he put some pinstripes on it.

30.jpg

they have kei-trucks that are also dump trucks! i guess you would call them kei-dump trucks. some of the kei-dump trucks empty out to the side, instead of the back. i would love to get a kei-dump truck, fill the back up with speakers and put it on hydraulics.

on park avenue, there was a crew doing construction. i want to show you what a construction worker in japan wears. check this out, it's fresh.

31.jpg

the pants are really baggy for maximum mobility. when i first saw a japanese construction worker, i thought he was a raver! then, after a while, i started to wonder why all these japanese ravers were carrying around power tools...

oh, and another cool thing that japanese construction workers wear--ninja tabi footwear!

that's right. the tabi boots made legendary by the infamous ninja are still in effect to day in japan. they provide the perfect combination of comfort, support and traction, with an extra helping of bad-ass ninja style.

32.jpg

i'm not sure if its more awesome or insane to work in construction with what is pretty much the least protective footwear you can find
hope nothing drops on his toes in that construction . unless dey is steel toed !

yeah, construction in japan is on another level. safety is at such a high level that construction workers have no need to wear steel toed shoes. here is an article about the japanese construction industry.

http://www.building.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=583&storycode=3111274&c=3

the history of japanese construction workers and carpenters is pretty sick. back in the day, houses were made without using nails. the would cut the wood so that everything would fit perfectly together like a huge 3D jigsaw puzzle. this allowed the wood to expand and contract with the changes in the humidity.

the tabi boots and big pants are remnants from that era. the boots provide flexibility that helps in getting up on scaffolding and walking on beams high up in the air. they use safety practices that prevent things from falling on their feet, so no need for steel toes. 92% of japanese construction projects have a zero-accident rate, according to the article. compare that with 62% in the UK.

here's another article i found on japanese construction fashion.

http://pingmag.jp/2006/01/18/construction-worker-fashion/

I have to say, I started reading this thread and I haven't been able to stop - it's now 4:55 AM and I'm on page 175. Mizanation's posts in particular really stood out, I'm a college student right now and I think after all that, I've pretty much decided to study abroad next year (although not in Japan, as my knowledge of Japanese is basically nil). Thanks for an inspiring thread, and I hope to get in on one of these world tours someday!

Hah - I didn't even realize this was my first post - I guess I've just been pretty much lurking around here forever.

*edit*

And now It's 5:47 AM, I couldn't sleep, so I decided to finish the thread! Yay!

today, i went to the local 100 yen shop. these are similar to the dollar shops we have in the states except that they are 100 TIMES BETTER! the stuff that you can buy at the 100 yen shops is mind boggling. it's crazy. they have everything and anything you could ever imagine and it's all for 100 yen (cheaper than a dollar).

there are books in japan on how to build all sorts of incredible shit using ONLY materials bought from 100 yen shops. there are magazines that show you how to remodel your entire house using 100 yen shop items. honestly, i would have moved to japan JUST FOR the 100 yen shops, believe it or not. they are that fucking dope.

welcome to wonderland.

1.jpg

2.jpg

we've got figurines.

3.jpg

we've got tools and hardware.

4.jpg

we've got gift boxes and gift bags.

5.jpg

we've got stationary.

6.jpg

we've got office supplies.

7.jpg

we've got wrapping paper.

8.jpg

we've got laundry supplies.

9.jpg

we've got dozens of different types of plastic containers.

10.jpg

we've got slippers.

11.jpg

we've got vacuum storage bags in every possible size. and air freshners.

12.jpg

we've got multi-toed socks! i have yet to try these, but a lot of people swear by them. they say they keep your feet from getting funky. i will try these out sometime and of course, take pictures.

13.jpg

we've got tons of plates, cups, mugs, bowls, etc....

14.jpg

we've got kitchen supplies.

15.jpg

we've got silverware and knives.

16.jpg

we've got mutherfuckin' tupperware, bitch!

17.jpg

we've got panties!

18.jpg

and finally we've got snacks and drinks!

19.jpg

they have a lot more stuff at these 100 yen shops, but i think you get the picture. i love this place. later, if i find an item that i particularly love, i will showcase it on my blog. ok, gotta work on the store and hit up a party. peace.