Dirty Dozen +1 (Around the world...)

cheep

was this fuckng awesome?  

274 members have voted

1. 1. was this fuckng awesome?

• yes
    • fuck yes
    • no.

last night, i went to a party at tyrone's bar, area cube. the party was thrown by the dj group soul camp. soul camp is a collection of b-boys that have been representing hip hop in okinawa for about 20 years. the music last night was a mixture of east coast hip hop, rare soul and super, super rare jazz cuts. i'm not sure where they do their digging but they go deep!

shouts to dj keisuke.

1.jpg

2.jpg

dj moriki on the left, one of the founding members of soul camp.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

it was yu-chan's belated birthday.

8.jpg

9.jpg

shiho-chan getting her drink on. you can see that someone gave her a good luck rope from the big tug-o-war.

10.jpg

so, i just started teaching english at four different elementary and junior high schools.

it's been fun so far but more challenging than i thought it was gonna be.

between that and everything else i've been doing, i've hardly had time to sleep. :)

but, i promise to put some updates up, probably the final updates, this weekend!

so, i just started teaching english at four different elementary and junior high schools.

it's been fun so far but more challenging than i thought it was gonna be.

between that and everything else i've been doing, i've hardly had time to sleep. :)

but, i promise to put some updates up, probably the final updates, this weekend!

Miz, have you been kancho'ed by any students, yet? Hilarious...

a few days ago, we visited binten. binten is a modern bingata artist. bingami is a traditional okinawan method of dyeing fabric. the process is hundreds of years old, but binten has a very modern approach to bingata. he uses bingata to make modern clothing, he even does bingata on denim!

DSC_0001.jpg

he had an interesting fake iguana.

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

binten is a very cool guy. i am looking forward to collaborating with him on some interesting projects.

DSC_0010.jpg

the other day, our friend yamamoto-san visited us in japan. he's actually the person who introduced me to my wife. anyways, he's a great guy and a very special friend to us. he owns his own technology firm and spends a lot of his time travelling all over the world having crazy adventures.

DSC_0015.jpg

first we took him to victor's shop on park avenue. victor has lived in okinawa for decades and is originally from india. victor is a very kind person and is loved by everyone in this town.

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

my favorite part is, of course, the curry and spices area.

DSC_0031.jpg

victor and i always discuss the finer points of indian cooking. we discovered that we both like to add a little chat masala into our curries! also, he says he will give me some besan so i can make one of my favorites--kadi pakora. thank god for victor-san.

DSC_0038.jpg

he also has pipes and incense for when you need to relax.

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

yamamoto-san shared an interesting story with us. he has a lucky lighter, a limited edition dupont shaman--a bic, this is not. those of you who are into expensive lighters will know that this is a true big baller's lighter.

DSC_0060.jpg

anyhow, someone stole this lighter from yamamoto-san when he was at a bar. this made yamamoto-san very sad as he was very attached to his dupont--he always felt that it gave him luck. a few weeks later, he got a call from the police station. they had apprehended the thief who stole his lighter! apparently, the guy who stole it took it to a pawn shop to hawk it for money. the owner recognized this lighter as a limited edition dupont and called dupont to have them look up the serial number. when the registered name didn't match the name of the person who brought it in, he called the cops and had the guy arrested.

so, yamamoto-san's lucky lighter returned to him safe and sound.

DSC_0062.jpg

for dinner, we went to burari, an izakaya that serves okinawan food.

DSC_0063.jpg

they have awamori in clay jars divided by alcohol content.

DSC_0071.jpg

appetizers--steamed soybeans, tofu with salted squid and japanese mountain yam with okinawan mozuku seaweed.

DSC_0075.jpg

sashimi of a local okinawan fish. they took what was left over from the sashimi and deep fried it to a crisp.

DSC_0077.jpg

this is shiikwasah. it's like an okinawan lime.

DSC_0081.jpg

breaded fried chicken

DSC_0083.jpg

deep-fried pig's feet with sweet and sour sauce.

DSC_0085.jpg

fuu champuru. kinda like an okinawan stir fry.

DSC_0088.jpg

stewed pork ribs. this pork was so tender, you could cut it with the side of your chopstick.

DSC_0089.jpg

eggplant with miso sauce.

DSC_0090.jpg

i noticed a bunch of old dudes in the back. they all looked pretty cool so i went over there and asked if i could take their picture. turns out, one of the guys there is the father of the guy who owns the izakaya. him and all his friends came out to support his son's little restaurant.

DSC_0097.jpg

then, in walked kamida-san! apparently, he is an old friend of the guy who owns the izakaya.

DSC_0098.jpg

another friend of his was at the bar. he showed us his kamida leather collection.

DSC_0099.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

three guys who grew up together.

DSC_0103.jpg

for dessert, we had blue seal ice cream.

DSC_0104.jpg

next we, we went to cocoroco chicken. this is the best damn peruvian-style rotiserie chicken i've ever tasted! there is a cocoroco chicken in brooklyn, but this place smashes it with an iron beak. okinawa's kokoroko chicken has been around forever and is a big favorite on this island.

DSC_0107.jpg

there was a bunch of old people in one of the rooms have a big get-together. man, do okinawan old folks love to party. maybe that's the secret of their famed longevity? i took a picture of them.

DSC_0111.jpg

forgot to take a picture of the chicken, will take one next time.