Dirty Dozen +1 (Around the world...)

cheep

was this fuckng awesome?  

274 members have voted

1. 1. was this fuckng awesome?

• yes
    • fuck yes
    • no.

Congratulations get your new powerdrill. (^_^)

I read a japanese novel recently, and surprisingly the background was okinawa!!

They said about 'sata antaki' which is okinawa's traditional candy.

so~ so~ sweety

I want to see how does it looks like. Do you know about this candy?

miz, if you have a chance to eat 'sata andaki(?)' will you take photos of it plz? (o_o);;

Do you mean andagi? That's more of a doughnut-ish thing rather than a candy though... still amazing!

Edit: Yeah, you do (in Hawaii I never attached the sata to it so wasn't sure if it was the same... google fixed that). Yeah, it's good :)

hey, so, i got my wallet from kamida-san. it's the first of a new line of okinawa-themed wallets called "godsland." rather than clutter up this thread, i'm just gonna post some pics here. you can see the rest in the kamida leather thread:

(go to the bottom of the page)

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=36057&page=4

anyways, here are some pics:

receiving the wallet from kamida-san:

1.jpg

2.jpg

here's what it looks like:

10.jpg

fit pics:

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

23.jpg

diddy, i think you will especially appreciate the meaning of the chibana-ori fabric.

chibana-ori is a traditional fabric that is from what is now okinawa city (where kamida-san and i live). it's hand-woven and hand-dyed in indigo. the pattern of the fabric has existed for hundreds of years.

the alternating five square and four square patterns have a very beautiful and significant meaning. five can be pronounced "itsu" in japanese, but "itsu" also means "any." four can be pronounced "yoh" in japanese, but "yoh" also means "time" or "world." so, the alternating five and four squares means "itsu no yoh made mo" which roughly translates to "anytime, anywhere, i will always be with you."

fabric with this pattern were given to lovers who had to travel far away to remind them of the love they have at home. also, the indigo-dyed yarns represent the deepness of their love, since the yarns have to be dyed numerous times to attain that rich color.

beautiful, isn't it?

14.jpg

hon-ddony subarashi desu-ne!!! (^_^)

arigatou gozaimasu!

btw, our friend, ni-ni, just posted on his blog that he made some sata andagi!

sataandagi.jpg

crazy timing, huh?

this is his blog, please check it out (it's all in japanese though):

http://yamahara.ti-da.net/e2368222.html

he has a small vegetable shop in koza, but he is somewhat of a local celebrity. people from all over japan buy his vegetables and fruits. he's got fans all over the world. next time, i buy some groceries from him, i will take some pics. "ni-ni" means big brother in okinawan language. maybe you read this in your okinawan novel?

your wallet looks amazing! i love the story of the fabric too.. will definitely consider kamida when i'm in the market for a wallet again :)

i think this tour should be extended at least one more month so miz can entertain us some more with his awesome life

i think this tour should be extended at least one more month so miz can entertain us some more with his awesome life

thanks, man. :)

i am scrambling to pack more stuff in before my time runs out. however, i will also start a blog before this is through so i can keep you guys updated on what's going on over here.

thanks, man. :)

i am scrambling to pack more stuff in before my time runs out. however, i will also start a blog before this is through so i can keep you guys updated on what's going on over here.

That's some good news! jeans are a beauty. Thanks for all the updates, it's always interesting to come here.

i made some activated EM the other day. EM stands for Effective Microorganisms and it's a mix of friendly bacteria and yeasts. before, i bought some EM in a spray bottle at the EM hotel in okinawa. however, i wasn't too satisfied with the results. i talked to woman at the local EM store and she said that brewing my own EM works a lot better.

so, i decided to make my first batch of activated EM. activated EM is EM that you ferment yourself in your home. after its activated, you can use it for all sorts of household uses and also use it to help out with composting.

first the required materials.

1) EM mother culture

1.jpg

2) Pure blackstrap mollases

2.jpg

3) Chlorine-free water

3.jpg

4) An empty PET bottle. I marked this one "EM" as to avoid confusion.

4.jpg

5) A funnel.

6.jpg

i am using a standard 1:1:20 ratio of EM:mollases:water. just a little bit of EM goes a long way. after the EM is done brewing, you dilute it further depending on the specific use.

pour one part mollasses into a measuring cup. while i was doing this, i found out why they say, "...slow as mollases."

7.jpg

pour one part EM into a measuring cup.

8.jpg

pour in 20 parts of warm water. the water is brown because i had some mollases left over in the cup.

9.jpg

10.jpg

that's it!

now, put it in a warm place and wait a couple weeks depending on how warm it is. i will be posting updates from time to time.

11.jpg