dear/ask jmatsu (advice column)

robideaux

Yea, i have to figure out more non-teaching options. I'd be able to do it pretty well, and might not be too miserable at first at least. The teaching salaries vary a lot by state. Florida is about 25-30th out of the 50 though. Cali, new jersey, mass, and connecticut are among the highest. Not sure how much more i'd be getting considering i'd have personal income tax in some of those states plus higher cost of living. I'd try to find a higher paying job, but having a master's in education plus not having that many connections isn't a plus.

The only cities i named that i've been to are new york and boston (a few times). Need to travel more.

I figure teacher salary would run me $35-40k my first year with master's depending on the state. Then maybe a bit extra teaching over the summer or maybe teaching a bit of night school on the side (i dunno an extra $5-12k?). It'd go up the longer i teach though. Enough to get by i suppose but not really encouraging.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cost of living in Connecticut isn't bad ... but it can get boring if you are moving from a major city. I was able to find a place in a good area at the last second.

$2,750 a month for 3 floors, 6 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms (one with a jacuzzi), finished basement. Only complaint is oil heating, why does it even exist anymore?

I heard you get paid well teaching English in Japan. Everyone I know (from the internetz) rock the illest cluthingz get paid to teach English.

i don't know how much niggas get paid now days. i guess it must pay alight...

i think the going rate of a 4 year degree was like 300,000. for a masters or fuckn dr's (what kind of dr. would wanna teach english in fuckin japan??) was more. it depends on where they put you to live in japan too and the benefits like living expense, quarters, care, etc...

i think there was some thread devoted to this subject in super jetset. i would never want to be an english teacher in japan.

i don't know how much niggas get paid now days. i guess it must pay alight...

i think the going rate of a 4 year degree was like 300,000. for a masters or fuckn dr's (what kind of dr. would wanna teach english in fuckin japan??) was more. it depends on where they put you to live in japan too and the benefits like living expense, quarters, care, etc...

i think there was some thread devoted to this subject in super jetset. i would never want to be an english teacher in japan.

Shit, $300,000 a year to get a degree in teaching english or is that how much you get paid? If it's the latter, I know what my new back-up plan is. Better start japanese lessons.

Shit, $300,000 a year to get a degree in teaching english or is that how much you get paid? If it's the latter, I know what my new back-up plan is. Better start japanese lessons.

quit being obtuse. he's talking about how much you can get paid for teaching english if you have a 4-year degree. and i'm 90% sure he means 300k in YEN, which is less than 30 grand USD.

quit being obtuse. he's talking about how much you can get paid for teaching english if you have a 4-year degree. and i'm 90% sure he means 300k in YEN, which is less than 30 grand USD.

This was one of those times where I realized in retrospect how stupid I was being, but figured it had been up too long to delete. Agreeably absurd post.

Jmatsu, how can I convince chief I'm not retarded?

Mr Matsu-

I want to work/live in another country doing finance/banking. All I know is English. What language should I learn, if any?

learn chinese. i know it's the cliche thang to say, but seriously...

Just curious, but what would be terrible about it, jmat? I mean, as long as i don't end up like soundune would it really be that bad? 300,000yen not including them giving living expense and other shit doesn't sound terrible money wise. I mean, i'm young so i can afford to fuck around for a bit.

you're pretty much right. less than 3000u.s. dollars a month probably around $2600.00 u.s. if i did the exchange rates/math correctly. so around 300,000 yen a month.

Just curious, but what would be terrible about it, jmat? I mean, as long as i don't end up like soundune would it really be that bad? 300,000yen not including them giving living expense and other shit doesn't sound terrible money wise. I mean, i'm young so i can afford to fuck around for a bit.

i dunno...there are just many other more dignified ways to get to japan. i guess it beats working the streets,manuel labor, or in ramen shops like some other nonjapanese do.

nah servo i dont think you're dumb. everyone makes mistakes. i accidentally said 30 grand instead of 3 grand, for example.

only dumb person on this site is datasupa.

btw matsu, i emailed carri about the blazers, hopefully will get a response soon. keep in mind, though, that the am87s from last spring didn't get produced.

nah servo i dont think you're dumb. everyone makes mistakes. i accidentally said 30 grand instead of 3 grand, for example.

only dumb person on this site is datasupa.

btw matsu, i emailed carri about the blazers, hopefully will get a response soon. keep in mind, though, that the am87s from last spring didn't get produced.

oh word? it said on some beast sites that the release was supposed to be summer 08.

I did engrish in japan for a couple months to get by.

The salary is deceiving, because you only work 182 days a year.

So basically, for working dick all hours you make about 30 grand if you're working for a good employer (I was workin for the board of education).

I did some waiting on the side and ended up making around 40k for the year. Respectable considering I had no uni degree and I was 20 years old...

If you're used to being a respected citizen in your home country though, jesus, don't do it. What got to me in the end was how fucking low of the social strata I was.

hali, random question to be asking in the matsu advice thread but what were you doing in japan to begin with? (real question, not being a dick).

he was working for the board of education as an english teacher. part timed at a restaurant.

canada and japan both have working holiday visas even for people without college degrees.

dear jmatsu,

im having trouble figuring out wether or not to buy the cloak painters jacket. the thing is, idk how often i could wear that, or what to wear it with besides like white button down or a slouchy white tee with jeans. i figure if i cant even imagine how to wear it i should maybe not even buy it. what do you think.

thanks, mike

hali, random question to be asking in the matsu advice thread but what were you doing in japan to begin with? (real question, not being a dick).
he was working for the board of education as an english teacher. part timed at a restaurant.

canada and japan both have working holiday visas even for people without college degrees.

This is a decent answer.

Full answer is that I started university at 18, did two years, fucking hated it, dropped out, worked construction for a few months and basically lived in a closet to save money, applied for a working holiday visa and went to JP with two grand and no plan whatsoever.

My (relative) success was just a result of luck, and my ability to talk my way into most things (no-one really wanted to give me a job since I had no degree).

They don't know shit english. I got by though, I learned my rudimentry jap, which is actually really easy, it's actual fluency that's nigh impossible.

Although I forget it all now.

I'm doing school part time, I realized I don't like the academic life, I need to be living while I study. I'm at UofT for microbiology.

Um, any other Japan questions go to PM, this is JMastsu's thread.

dear jmatsu,

im having trouble figuring out wether or not to buy the cloak painters jacket. the thing is, idk how often i could wear that, or what to wear it with besides like white button down or a slouchy white tee with jeans. i figure if i cant even imagine how to wear it i should maybe not even buy it. what do you think.

thanks, mike

how much is it going for? you kinda want it right? your logic about not being able to imagine on how to work it is sound, but your heart still desires the peice... does it not?

just get it. if it don't work out some shmuck in love with cloak will probably take it off your hands.

Dear JMatsu

I am probably the most innovative US menswear designer in American history. I have shown my ideas to the CFDA ( Council of Fashion Designers of New York) whooops I mean America and no calls back. I have sent my info to all the major editors and no calls back, and now I am seeing the major fashion houses of Europe walking the runway and promoting what I consider my innovative style. I feel like I have blown my man seeds and now I am standing in an abyss holding my exposed phallus. I dont have the money to grease these editors for a story, nor buy advertising? The CFDA promotes menswear designers that have no inspiration ,but are friends of a friend of a member. My tongue is long, but not that long . . my mouth is round but I only eat square meals. What should I do?