The WTF are u doing with your life thread

homi29

I'm in Civil Engineering and will be done in April. Don't ask why, but not a single thing about it interests me. Once I'm done school, I plan on working for a year or 2 so I can pay off some debts and finally do some traveling. So once that's done, I plan on going back to school again for fashion, or at least try to get into the fashion world somehow. Goodbye to my RO aesthetic and hello to raw denim and steel toed boots. FML... Hopefully time will go by really fast because I can't wait to see myself in a few years from now.

Ok, gonna vent here for a sec, and maybe this will help someone who's on the fence about going into business for themselves. I've got a few friends, one in particular, that tells me his daydreams all the time about being in business for himself, but the one thing they all lack is the commitment and sacrifice to overwork themselves to get their project off the ground. I'm fucking sick of hearing people run their mouths about this "amazing" business they're gonna have, but thinking that since they work a 10:30-4 job there just aren't enough hours in the day to commit to building it. If there are ANY potential entrepreneurs reading this, building your own business is a 24hr around the clock commitment. You have 20min available cause you ate lunch quickly? That's 20min more to work on your projected P&L or refine your business plan or e-mail a potential supplier or whatever. Your nap or ultimate frisbee game or COD black ops will just have to wait, but if I'm even telling you this you're not cut out to be in business for yourself... Astrowolf knows exactly what I'm talking about...one of the only people I know that has that same hustle and drive. I'm sure there's more, and if so...then you know what I'm talking about.

TL-DR - if you're trying to go into business for yourself, and still have time to sleep then you don't want it badly enough.

TL:DR - if you're trying to go into business for yourself, and still have time to sleep then you don't want it badly enough.

This is the fucking truth. Rings loud for folks trying to really move ahead in the world and make a name for themselves, even in a corp environment. I work in enterprise IT sales and basically am in a position where I build my own business in the company. Been here 3 years and it's been very good to me, only b/c I've worked tirelessly - showing up early, stayed late, and am constantly on my phone nights and weekends checking up on and replying to emails from clients/prospects. Always need to be on the ball put myself in a position to close more biz. Basically I have enough free time on my hands to spend quality time with my wife and dog, have drinks with my friends a few nights per week, post on sufu when I have a few minutes here and there, and drop hard earned money on dinners/clothes/other disposable thangs, and investments. Long gone are the days are tearing through dvd's, video games, and new music with my free time. All for the better.

Yall realize that banking has zero work life balance?

if you want to be successful in any field, you'll have to seriously compromise on work life balance. This is a concept people don't seem to understand.

While it's true that at the junior level banking is brutal, it opens doors like no other profession does and at the senior level, people don't work that much harder than in other high profile professions (executives, doctor, judge, etc). I would actually venture to say that non banking finance professionals, especially traders and other working market hours, don't have it very hard in terms of work-life balance (stress is another thing though).

i've been working IT (business information) in an insurance office for more than a year now. took a semester off to land the job then they kept me part time while i was doing a few courses in uni (or full time when i could). the drive to work is like 1-1.5 hours (-__-), the job is easy, pay is above avg for student job and it's not very stressful. in fact this office is on some fairytale status. pretty much did this just for the work experience.

anyway a month ago i told my boss i'd be going back to school to finish my business degree (3 semesters left) and one week later he asks me to continue doing work for them from home. just submit whatever hours i decide to work and get paid for them. easily one of the most flexible jobs you can get while in school and im blessed to not have to flip burgers or something. mostly just happy to not have to go from having income to nothing at all.

now when i get my degree i have no fucking clue what to do. i could likely come back and get a position at this insurance office, get my own place closer and live comfortably, do my 9-5 each day and use my free time to pursue something else on the side. im not sure i'll feel like i accomplished anything if i do that unless i somehow do something decent with a side project. however i could see myself getting too comfortable in that lifestyle and just chilling really hard after work. i also kind of want to go to hong kong for a bit and see what happens there. kind of sick of the area of toronto i'm in right now to be honest.

hopefully i'll have a better idea in the next few months

got a job interview tomorrow for a super fucking corporate internship gig that apparently pays better than most entry level jobs in my field (marketing). it's likely the case that i have the fewest credentials out of all the remaining candidates so i am prepping like mad right now. pumped as FUCK for this

what have you been doing for the last few years?

i won't be 26 until i finish by bsc in psychology. not sure to either do a masters in speech pathology afterwards (2yrs) or grad diploma in organizational HR (1yr). i realised this year i am not interested in doing masters in clincial psych anymore.

orrrrrrrr i could just get a shitty job somewhere totally unrelated and try to work my way up.

ugh.

This kinda confuses me. Hopefully you're not another young person who's gonna rack up debt on a credit card, while they pretend they have money.

Young-ish person, yes. Debt no.

I've previously disliked the idea of credit cards anyway, but if I'm going to pay bills with it, might as well get cash back/points for it.

It's also a charge card, not a revolving credit card. You literally can't continue to carry a balance since you have to pay it off in full each month, in which I always do.

debt-free ftw

damn i thought i was more immature than that

i'm turning 30 next year fuckkkkk 1.5 feets in the grave

Fuck. I'm in the same boat. I feel unaccomplished. Thou I'm back to school for fashion design, working full time and school at night. Basically, I don't have a life. Plan is to intern as much during winter/summer, build connections, etc. Definitely thinking of interning in Europe, Paris? It just feels weird and awkward interning at the age of 30. Then hopefully start a business from there. I think I got the business side covered after slaving myself in the garment industry. I just need to learn how to hustle. Most of the boss I had never finish college but they are the most social individuals I have ever encountered. So anyone in a year or two, holla at me if you want to start something.

If that doesn't happen I see myself slaving myself with another company and doing freelance jobs like 90% of fashion design grads.

Oh yeah I barely buy any jawnz, maybe like 1 every 4 months. Just gonna wear J+ trousers all the time.

I feel like I need to join a club or an organization or something here at school...I want to do something productive with my life and meet some new people. I want to do something that aligns with my academic interests though, and none of the clubs here interest me at all.

Young-ish person, yes. Debt no.

I've previously disliked the idea of credit cards anyway, but if I'm going to pay bills with it, might as well get cash back/points for it.

It's also a charge card, not a revolving credit card. You literally can't continue to carry a balance since you have to pay it off in full each month, in which I always do.

debt-free ftw

Actually thats not true, you can carry a balance now on amex charge cards now.

watched the ironman race begin and end today in Madison, fuarrrrk that got me so pumped. I'd have the cycling part down pat, but my running and swimming would need some serious training. I feel like it would be easier to do this with a stable gf, since i could redirect all the mental and physical effort i already put into thinking about that shit into training.

wtf am i doing with my life

every day leading up to school its like

i either want to drop out and go to art school

drop out and go to trade school and become some kind of technician in the middle of nowhere

or just go back

and every other day i either feel super pumped or super depressed about one of these options

i guess i'll go back and finish up my last 2 years but jesus i don't even want to

also it doesn't help that i have no money or job right now, and i'm not supposed to exercise for another week or two due to surgery recovery...

so basically i'm fat lazy and dumb and i sit around my parents house a lot and don't have any money. gotta move back to school find work and get an education.

and i'm tired of right now having to live off my parents, but also grateful coz i just had surgery...

even though i kind of just want to jump on my savings and move somewhere random with only a few thousand in my pocket....

but now i feel like

well anyway it just goes in cycles and i hate it. wish i could feel satisfied with some decision or something

i don't even really know where i'm living when i go back to school

if any of you know someone in santa cruz looking for a housemate pls advise i go to ucsc

hit another one of those ruts last weekend, mostly due to getting closure on this girl. I just want some exciting shit to happen again, settled into that mediocre mid semester-nothing immediately due period. i did apply to do a diploma at another university, starting tennis again and ran my first timed race tho.i think i just needa find a crazy bitch