The WTF are u doing with your life thread

homi29

I just graduated this year with a Mechanical Design Technologist diploma from Southern Alberta Institute of Technology. Its the mating of Mechanical Engineering and Industrial Design. Originally the program was designed to be a three year program but was then shrunk down to a two year to meet the standards of the other courses they carry at that school, so with 7-9 courses a semester it was quite the work load but i feel a learned alot.

For anyone who doesnt know what the engineering technologist designation is, its the step down from getting your bachelor of engineering. But after working as a certified technologist for 4 years you have the option to be given your P.Eng. You take a bit of a pay cut going with a technologist designation but over time tend to get more work experience so its a bit of a double sided sword.

I chose not to actually go to work as a technologist as my passion really lies in sales. I received a job opportunity at a pump and compressor company as their Sales Coordinator for Southern Alberta, which after only a two year diploma I cant exactly complain. I have been very happy with the company so far and they are helping me to get my CSP designation as well (Canadian Sales Proffesional).

This thread was going gold and now it's dying so I thought I'd give it a bump.

Right now I'm just enjoying my first and last summer vacation as a student. I just finished my first year of college. I figured this is the last summer vacation because for the others I'd have to be taking summer sessions and interning so right would be best to enjoy.

Also preparing for my trip to Japan - Vietnam in about a month.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck.

Need to decide at midnight what to do about co-op jobs.

I can either take a position as Web Developer at a major software company here in town, developing a project management system for internal (and potential future external) use. Seems like really laid-back environment, get to collaborate with many other students and learn that way.

Or I reject the offer and see if I can get this position that I just discovered I have an interview for next Tuesday... with a not-for-profit organization connecting business and the arts... this is pretty much a future dream job for me, some way to combine a BA in Economics, and my (hopefully in the future) Masters in fine arts.

I absolutely know that I am the most qualified by far for this position. It's an hour away in Toronto, where I do want to live next term.

I need to decide if it's worth the risk... I also don't want to live at home but it would take a financial load off my parents. It's just a 4-month term but this is important step.

no :( it's all facilitated through school, and the system requires I make a decision by midnight... buh

i am happy though that i have been getting offers, I spent a month without any interviews while my friends were having upwards of ten

what's up with everyone else's life

"eggshell, how about you take the job youve actually been offered then go to the other interview, if you get the other job too then make the decision"

This is an option. Legally, the software company has few options if you go elsewhere after signing with them. Are they going to sue you for breach of contract and seek monetary damages? No.

Word might get around that you did this though - which may matter if you are going to be working in the same industry or area for some time. Also, if it's arranged by your university, you may not be able to play this game.

"eggshell, how about you take the job youve actually been offered then go to the other interview, if you get the other job too then make the decision"

This is an option. Legally, the software company has few options if you go elsewhere after signing with them. Are they going to sue you for breach of contract and seek monetary damages? No.

Word might get around that you did this though - which may matter if you are going to be working in the same industry or area for some time. Also, if it's arranged by your university, you may not be able to play this game.

you're right, this isn't something that would be possible because the applications, interviews, offers, are all through software set up by my school. if i take a job, my account lists me as 'employed' until my next co op term

as frustrating as it can be (no way to ask employers for time to make decision), I am really grateful as it allows me to work in positions that would be difficult to get into otherwise, and try up to 5 different companies by the time I graduate

maaaan where are all the engineer nerds at??? Just seems like a ton of BA or business dudes. I wanna talk serious life plans with my boys.

Eng nerd here.

I'm final year environmental engineering. Not really too keen on working yet / wasn't motivated enough to apply seriously for graduate work so I'm probably going to do a Masters in Civil (+2 years).

Engineering is fairly stable in Aus specially with the mines in the west so I'm not too worried about finding a job in the future. Motivation is my main problem though. Definitely wanna work overseas. How's eng in your end of the world?

maaaan where are all the engineer nerds at??? Just seems like a ton of BA or business dudes. I wanna talk serious life plans with my boys.

bioengineer with a penchant for ME.

what du u want.

do you guys think a minor in economics is worth anything? is the subject material helpful enough to be worth knowing by itself?

i'm a major in economics, it's not really helpful for anything in itself, since it's mostly maths, statistics and stuff, but when you want to go toward accounting, marketing, management, finance and whatnot, then you're golden because you'll kill everyone at maths and already know what there is to know in micro and macroeconomics.

"At the heart of Nietzsche's philosophy is a simple idea, difficulty is normal. We shouldn't panic or give up when we experience it. We feel pain because of the gap between who we are at the moment, and the person we could ideally be. It's because we can't master the ingredients of happiness straight away, that we suffer as much as we do."

• 2 weeks later...

a few pages back i posted about trying to decide between co-op jobs

i ended up taking the tech job with OpenText, i will developing a mobile version of an application currently used internally for project management... it should interesting, i hope to learn a lot more about programming

the job that i wanted to interview for but i couldn't, with a not-for-profit connecting business and the arts nationally, yesterday i called the women who was scheduled to interview me. i told her the job sounded like my ideal position, bringing together all my interests, and asked if we could meet next week. now we are getting lunch next tuesday and i hope to secure a co-op position for next year! :o

Guest roastedchickenwing

i have a depressing life. A rising sophmore undergrad student, no friends, no job, havent declare a major and have less than stellar grades. I know life is only given once and i want to treasure it, but it seems like i'm letting life pass by. It's not like i shape my life to be this way. Only time will tell....

Moving to Iowa City, Iowa in less than a week. Following my boyfriend and getting an apartment with him and going part-time at a community college to get an art degree. Spending the rest of the time working on art, hopefully getting a job and being all sorts of social. Looking to adopt a cat too. I wonder if there are any sufu-ers in Iowa City...

i have a depressing life. A rising sophmore undergrad student, no friends, no job, havent declare a major and have less than stellar grades. I know life is only given once and i want to treasure it, but it seems like i'm letting life pass by. It's not like i shape my life to be this way. Only time will tell....

what is a rising sophomore?

some girl at work described herself as that and i almost wanted to kick her in the dick

i'm not trying to be a dick but i've yet to hear of this working for anyone...

Yeah, it sounds like a shitty idea but I'm confident in it for some reason. I'm basically just doing what I would be doing here except now I'll be three hours away and not super unmotivated with no friends.

here's some advice

if you have a passion or know exactly what to do, you don't need any advice

for everyone else, choose one: a) an extremely difficult discipline which no one will doubt its rigour or quality B) any discipline from a top tier university, sometimes it's best to pay a lot for a name that can open you doors