Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

hahah....majority of the list i agree with. i find D&G rather pleasant actually...scent is interesting, it's so so subjective, more so than anything else on this website. I mean scent is so intrinsically linked to literal taste...it's funny how there'd be a collective agreement on such scents (I wonder if this agreement is based on the association of the scents as much as the notes themselves). Angel is overbearing as hell, but realistically it just reeks of chocolate to me. Boss is acceptable for the commute from the gym to the shower.

This being said, I'm really, really pumped to dive a little further into the Gimme Gimme list. I think the first post here is top notch, everyone take note an PLUS REP for the gimster.

Agreed that scent is completely subjective, but if you look at something like a movie or a book, you can tell if its well-crafted. There are shit movies that make tons of money, and brilliant ones that flop.

That being said, this is fashion...if you want to remain in the fashion-forward, stray from that stank shit! ;)

(I hope I'm not directly insulting someone's favourite...but if I am, reevaluate)

From nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com:

In fact, 43 percent of men who wear fragrance say they got it as a gift from a woman. But they don’t return the favor in kind. Almost a quarter of women who wear fragrance said they received it from a man.

-quoted from Happi Magazine.

Women ALWAYS like getting perfume. Some suggestions:

$50-100

Bvlgari - available anywhere (Sephora, etc.), all the "teas" (green, white, red) are great, non-offensive gifts.

$100:

Chanel - there are lots of great Chanel perfumes, but to impress, it has to be a PURE PERFUME (parfum, extrait)...the one in the itsy bitsy bottle that costs crazy $$$. Skip the counter and go directly to the Chanel boutique or order online...1/4 oz. will cost you about $95.

$150-200

Frederic Malle - go to Barneys (or Barneys online). Quiet - En Passant, Louder - Parfum de Therese, Loudest - Carnal Flower.

$300+

L'Artisan Parfumeur Harvest Series (again at Barney's, Aedes, Luckyscent, or direct) - Fleurs D'Oranger, Iris Pallida or Fleur de Narcisse. They come in fancy wooden boxes, hand-engraved crystal bottles, all limited edition. Fancy shit.

I didn't suggest CDG or anything too risky because its just that...too risky (unless of course you already know what she likes).

Do you know of any coupon codes for theperfumed court? I was going to order a few small decants to spray try.

Do you know of any coupon codes for theperfumed court? I was going to order a few small decants to spray try.

They rarely have discount codes...only a frequent-buyer program.

See if they have the samples you want here...they tend to be cheaper:

http://fishbonefragrances.blogspot.com/

I always recommend (if its not already obvious) to not order anything larger than a 1ml vial if you're never smelled the scent before. Most people opt for the larger sprays, and it ends up sitting full if you don't like it after the first application. Start smarll. :)

I actually did start small with some borrowed samples from someone i know and a couple luckyscent ones. I have 3-5 scents i'm probably going to get small-med decant (2.5-5ml) and over the next month or two, switch it up depending on mood and then settle on 2 to buy full bottles of. I'm actually already ordered 2 from nancy over there at fishbones. Thanks for the help here and the whole thread.

on a side note. I tried odeur 53 today and i've felt pretty dizzy all day. Definitely not for me unfortunately.

I tried some of the Bois 1920 scents today (now at Holt's for those in Toronto...try to tune out the lady who pronounces it "boyzz 1920"...*sigh*.

Sushi Imperiale was the stand-out of the line. Its reminiscent of Michael Kors, but more refined. If you're looking for a spicy (clove, nutmeg, cadramom) woodsy foody scent, I would recommend it. It last a REALLY long time, easily 9 hours now and still going strong. Not sure what the Sushi is referencing, but there's no fish present if you're wondering.

Link to luckyscent's info page:

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=37605&section=1

AWESOME fishbone site gimme! They've got samples available of alot of good shit. I'm going crazy thinking up of the choices.

gimmegimme, what do you think of these scents in terms of lasting power and also by my earlier request on trying certain scents: distinct or rosy or .. etc.

earlier advice you gave me: http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=896319&postcount=946

on the fence about these:

-cb's i hate... black march water (cool damp earth sounds interesting)

-bvlgari rose

-Sandalwood Vert by Fresh Au des parfumes

-can't decide on which of creed's fleur de bulgare or rose bulgare...

-DZING! for secretly spraying on my friends as a joke. :)

-cdg's palisander and seqoia

probably going to get samples of:

-eu d'italie's Paestum rose

-creed's Himalayas (need some distinct/crazy yet non-stinging scents)

-czech & speake's no 88

-Voleur de Roses

-Sel de Vetiver , I love ylang ylang, shit makes me feel great and super calm, thanks for the recc...

-

AWESOME fishbone site gimme! They've got samples available of alot of good shit. I'm going crazy thinking up of the choices.

gimmegimme, what do you think of these scents in terms of lasting power and also by my earlier request on trying certain scents: distinct or rosy or .. etc.

earlier advice you gave me: http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=896319&postcount=946

on the fence about these:

-cb's i hate... black march water (cool damp earth sounds interesting) - try

-bvlgari rose - pass

-Sandalwood Vert by Fresh Au des parfumes - pass

-can't decide on which of creed's fleur de bulgare or rose bulgare... - pass

-DZING! for secretly spraying on my friends as a joke. :) - try

-cdg's palisander and seqoia - try (more so sequoia)

probably going to get samples of:

-eu d'italie's Paestum rose - definitely try

-creed's Himalayas (need some distinct/crazy yet non-stinging scents) - yawn

-czech & speake's no 88 - a bit old fashioned smelling (to me), but worth trying

-Voleur de Roses - would suit your requirements the best

-Sel de Vetiver , I love ylang ylang, shit makes me feel great and super calm, thanks for the recc... - definitely try, although the ylang isn't that distint

-

That's one of my favourites too...its sold as "unisex" if that helps you any. ;)

I'm not a black licorice fan...never have been, but when you follow fragrance trends, you'll notice that every company seems to somehow agree on a note for the year, and flood the market with it. Last year it was iris, which was a nice, this year it licorice/anise.

Hermes released Brin de Reglisse this year (licorice & lavendar).

Guerlain is about to release Laurier Réglisse (licorice & laurel (like a bay leaf I think))

Rosine's next offering will be Un Zephir de Rose (licorice & rose)

Caron released Eau de Reglisse last year, which is quite nice.

Other licorice fav's if you're into it:

Dior Homme Bois D'Argent (which, btw, is being discontinued, so stock up if you likey)

Yohji Homme (also discontinued, but available on ebay, discount stores, etc.)

Lolita Lempicka (tacky bottle, nice cologne)

Masaki Matsushima Mat:M (okay I guess...a bit "meh")

Douce Amere by Serge Lutens (foody licorice)

Etro Anice (harder to come across, but worth it)

...and yes I know licorice and anise are two different plants, so fuck off....they smell the same.

going to get a boatload of samples, need to reup my fragrance collection - been out of it for a few years. looking for something warm, mysterious, dark, but flexible enough to be worn daily. and i just want to sample some more things.

any opinions on: any suggestions? wearing creed bois du portugal for now, top notes ie extremely quickly on me but the scent remains on my skin for a long time (though you have to be prety close to smell it) shame.

funny i thought i hated licorice, but i like yohji homme a lot. one of the few bottles i've actually gone completely through.

Czech & Speake No. 88

Le Labo Eau de Parfums Patchouli 24

Black Aoud

SL

Borneo 1834

Fumerie Turque

Tom Ford Private Blends

Moss Breches

Oud Wood

Ungaro iii

Black Orchid

Are these ones you've tried or ones you're considering? I'll comment either way for those who haven't.

Czech & Speake No. 88 - very popular, but a big "meh" from me...VERY old fashioned and powdery. Good if you're looking for something nostalgic. I'm a big rose fan, and I'd say that when researching, 88 & Rose d'Homme by Rosine were the top 2 recommendations, and the bottom 2 on my list. (Top honors would go to Rose Poivree btw).

Le Labo Eau de Parfums Patchouli 24 - again, very popular...I'm not a patchouli fan, so no comment from me. If you are though, Voleur de Roses is the only patchouli I like (getting back to the roses).

Black Aoud - Montale is probably the most overrated house after Creed and Bond. All their "aoud" line makes me feel sick to my stomach...its cloying and harsh. They seem to fill all their scents with what I think is a musk that just doesn't settle right with me. The entire aoud lines smells the same though, so if you like one, you'll probably like them all.

SL -

Borneo 1834 - okay I lied, this is another great patchouli. The dark chocolate combo sounds weird and unsettling, but its absolutely stunning. Having said that, its VERY pronounced and not for the tame-of-heart. I highly recommend at least trying though.

Fumerie Turque - this didn't do it for me, but its quite unusual. you have to LOVE the smell of smoke...think campfire...or better yet, your clothes after sitting by the campfire. something I'd rather smell as a candle or roomspray than on myself.

Tom Ford Private Blends - I've only smelled one Tom Ford from this line and that's the Violet...which was a big disappointment. Probably one of the least enthusiastic violet scents I've come across...it was almost a direct interpretation (read - copy) of Armani's Cuir Amethyste, but less interesting.

Moss Breches

Oud Wood

Ungaro iii - I'm noticing you like the dark & potent stuff. Anyway, Ungaro III is quite nice, but again didn't work for me personally. If I had a choice, I'd pass on this one and go for the superior YSL Rive Gauche. I read somewhere that III was reformulated at some point, and the original was the superior (red box) if you do get to test it.

Black Orchid - for a mass-market release, this was very risky and done well. again, having a strange chocolate/mushroom-y quality that is interesting at the very least. in the same manner as Alexander McQueen's sadly discontinued Kingdom, this is great on both men and women and definitely worth trying.

• 2 weeks later...

Woah. Musc Ravageur is beautiful, really nice scent, but man, it's almost so sweet it is like getting punched in the nose. Just a fantasticly complex, interesting scent, nicely heavy, but too sweet for me on most any day.

Guess I'll be trying Noir Epices, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Carnal Flower, and Une Rose

Woah. Musc Ravageur is beautiful, really nice scent, but man, it's almost so sweet it is like getting punched in the nose. Just a fantasticly complex, interesting scent, nicely heavy, but too sweet for me on most any day.

Guess I'll be trying Noir Epices, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Carnal Flower, and Une Rose

I find it to be a bit much too...out of the others you mentioned, Vetiver E. is the most "wearable", but Noir Epices is really great, Carnal Flower and Une Rose lean a tad toward the feminine side (I still wear both).

Trip to L.A. for scent bar and they didn't have very many (I expected everything the site provided) to sample. They also don't sell samples at the scent bar. Damn you rose poivree... the opening was rather strong and surprising (not insulting to me, but jarring?) then it slowly grew on me... I seduced myself with how interesting it smells on my skin. Also is it just me or is the scent not as lasting or potent for this? I must head over to base-notes for other's thoughts. I'm going to have to actively try it against the czech's no88. on how well it smells on my skin in the summer.

edit- ugh dirty civet and violet notes... I'm not brave enough to wear this daily/socially. I think I'll probably only wear poivree on special non-social and more intimate occasions.

That and maybe the Sel de Vetiver were the only things I was digging yesterday.

That's too bad...I've never actually been to the store, so I didn't know that. I thought they would have had a decent selection to smell though.

Rose Poivree is more wearable than you think...I wear it all the time. I didn't realize it had violet in it? Either way...almost every scent does these days (actually a synthetic called methyl ionone...real violet is almost impossible to extract and therefor stupid expensive). Grey Flannel and Fahrenheit were both based on the violet.

Anyway, RP lasts quite a while on me, but I've heard others say it didn't on them. Keep trying it though, its worth it.

the other night i had an incidental combination of scents that i ended up liking

i had an orange late one night and then headed outside for a smoke. compulsively, i'll smell of my hands/fingers after a cigarette to make sure i dont smell too bad, and the orange scent still came up pretty strong under the tobacco, i really liked it

i figure if it appeals to me in a really crude form (real cig smoke still smells like ass), there might be something out there that combines these elements

so i guess im looking for something like terre d'hermes, a darker scent on top of orange, or the other way around if it can be done well.

orange + tobacco? orange + leather? other citruses for summer?

Are these ones you've tried or ones you're considering? I'll comment either way for those who haven't.

Czech & Speake No. 88 - very popular, but a big "meh" from me...VERY old fashioned and powdery. Good if you're looking for something nostalgic. I'm a big rose fan, and I'd say that when researching, 88 & Rose d'Homme by Rosine were the top 2 recommendations, and the bottom 2 on my list. (Top honors would go to Rose Poivree btw).

Le Labo Eau de Parfums Patchouli 24 - again, very popular...I'm not a patchouli fan, so no comment from me. If you are though, Voleur de Roses is the only patchouli I like (getting back to the roses).

Black Aoud - Montale is probably the most overrated house after Creed and Bond. All their "aoud" line makes me feel sick to my stomach...its cloying and harsh. They seem to fill all their scents with what I think is a musk that just doesn't settle right with me. The entire aoud lines smells the same though, so if you like one, you'll probably like them all.

SL -

Borneo 1834 - okay I lied, this is another great patchouli. The dark chocolate combo sounds weird and unsettling, but its absolutely stunning. Having said that, its VERY pronounced and not for the tame-of-heart. I highly recommend at least trying though.

Fumerie Turque - this didn't do it for me, but its quite unusual. you have to LOVE the smell of smoke...think campfire...or better yet, your clothes after sitting by the campfire. something I'd rather smell as a candle or roomspray than on myself.

Tom Ford Private Blends - I've only smelled one Tom Ford from this line and that's the Violet...which was a big disappointment. Probably one of the least enthusiastic violet scents I've come across...it was almost a direct interpretation (read - copy) of Armani's Cuir Amethyste, but less interesting.

Moss Breches

Oud Wood

Ungaro iii - I'm noticing you like the dark & potent stuff. Anyway, Ungaro III is quite nice, but again didn't work for me personally. If I had a choice, I'd pass on this one and go for the superior YSL Rive Gauche. I read somewhere that III was reformulated at some point, and the original was the superior (red box) if you do get to test it.

Black Orchid - for a mass-market release, this was very risky and done well. again, having a strange chocolate/mushroom-y quality that is interesting at the very least. in the same manner as Alexander McQueen's sadly discontinued Kingdom, this is great on both men and women and definitely worth trying.

i haven't tried any and i'm not familiar with most of these houses. i was looking for something warm, mysterious dark and potent (yet something that would be wearable everyday)... so that's what i came up with. anything you would recommend in this vein since you didn't really enjoy much of the ones i listed? sad to see a bunch of them are overrated, but i'll just get small samples of a few and see what works for me. i love voleur de roses, will be getting a large decant of that... so maybe i'll cut down on the other patchouli's

xcoldricex, I have tried and really like Borneo 1834 and Fumerie Turque. I think they are fine for daily wear, but then I wear Rose Poivrée and Dzing! to work (not at the same time :D), so YMMV.

Speaking of which, I think Rose Poivrée and Dzing! qualify as warm, mysterious, dark and potent.

I like Black Orchid too.

You might also try Molinard Habanita; it meets your criteria, I think.

the other night i had an incidental combination of scents that i ended up liking

i had an orange late one night and then headed outside for a smoke. compulsively, i'll smell of my hands/fingers after a cigarette to make sure i dont smell too bad, and the orange scent still came up pretty strong under the tobacco, i really liked it

i figure if it appeals to me in a really crude form (real cig smoke still smells like ass), there might be something out there that combines these elements

quote]

i suggest chewing orange flavoured skoal 6 nights a week and saving your spittle in a bottle. splash a little on the back of your neck on date nights.

xcoldricex, I have tried and really like Borneo 1834 and Fumerie Turque. I think they are fine for daily wear, but then I wear Rose Poivrée and Dzing! to work (not at the same time :D), so YMMV.

Speaking of which, I think Rose Poivrée and Dzing! qualify as warm, mysterious, dark and potent.

I like Black Orchid too.

You might also try Molinard Habanita; it meets your criteria, I think.

Hmm... if it's good for you then I'll try... I just don't like the top notes of Rose Poivree but now I'm interested in how it works with my daily life. Dzing's crazy though haha.

Its tricky to find something potent, but wearable everyday.

Random thoughts:

1. Dzonka by L'Artisan

2. MB03 by Biehl

3. Idole by Lubin

4. Cuir Ottoman by Parfum d'Empire

5. Cedre by Serge Lutens

Orange & Tobacco - try Mandarin Mandarine by Serge Lutens (doesn't actually contain tobacco, but has a smoky smell in it)