Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

Not sure if it's been mentioned,

but how is Dior Fahrenheit 32? I'm an avid supporter of

the original Fahrenheit , but I was something a little lighter for spring.

Actually,

what's a light cologne for spring (in general)? I'm looking for something maybe

w/ citrus or vanilla.. I don't know.

I like Givenchy Pour Homme. Gives a sharp citrus. Sucks that Basenotes is down. They're indispensable for this kind of thing.

I like Givenchy Pour Homme. Gives a sharp citrus. Sucks that Basenotes is down. They're indispensable for this kind of thing.

Basenotes is always down....that website is a piece of shit.

There are definitely some guys on there with relevant opinions, but be cautious of who's advice you take...you probably wouldn't take it if you knew what they looked like. ;)

I've mentioned this brand in the past, but I think they deserve more attention. They're a fairly new company but have a wide selection. Jasmin & Cigarette is definitely the leader of the line, but there are still a few I haven't tried.

The newest to come will be a Tom of Finland collaboration. Some of you will know what that means...you know who you are. That's due out this summer I believe.

Other highlights include such gems as:

-"Secretions Magnifique" (which contains milk, adreneline and blood accords);

-"Don't Get Me Wrong Baby (I Don't Swallow);

-"Delicious Closet Queen"; and

-Nombril Immense (Belly Button).

Available online, Paris showroom, Henry Bendel's in NYC, First in Fragrance in Germany, and Holt Renfew.

2vn5ily.jpg

There are definitely some guys on there with relevant opinions, but be cautious of who's advice you take...you probably wouldn't take it if you knew what they looked like. ;)

D: What has been seen. Cannot be unseen.

But seriously, I only look up scent components, and awards, I have high doubts about a community that tells people to wear products that smell different on everyone. Terre d'Hermes sounded like a good bet, but it ended up smelling like I just came back from cutting my lawn.

D: What has been seen. Cannot be unseen.

But seriously, I only look up scent components, and awards, I have high doubts about a community that tells people to wear products that smell different on everyone. Terre d'Hermes sounded like a good bet, but it ended up smelling like I just came back from cutting my lawn.

Its a very subjective subject...eventually you learn that even if something isn't to your liking, it can still be great on others. I feel the same about Terre d'Hermes, but I can understand why its so popular.

Having said that, its still subjective when I say something is "bad", but some things are poorly constructed and won't smell good in any situation (COUGH aqua di gio COUGH).

i recently got Fou d' Absinthe but don't think I can get use it much in the Spring/Summer. Gonna try to make a trip to sniff the Gris Clair and Russian Caravan...great review!

Good job on the article! :D

Also, thanks for the heads-up on the ELDO site, I didn't realize they had an online store.

Do you like any of their other frags besides Jasmin et Cigarette?

The Rossy di Palma or whatever its called is something I think you'd like. Most of the stuff we get here in Toronto i female-directed, so I haven't smelled the full range. My only warning is Vierge & Torreros (sp?), which is potent and harsh. I had a bottle that was gifted away, and the recipient says he gets complimented on it constantly, but it was too much for me. I belive its been compared to Caron's Yatagan (eek!).

i recently got Fou d' Absinthe but don't think I can get use it much in the Spring/Summer. Gonna try to make a trip to sniff the Gris Clair and Russian Caravan...great review!

I couldn't live without my bottle of Russian Caravan Tea. Its a strange and simple scent that seems very fleeting at first, but lasts for a really, really long time if applied liberally. Its one of those "perfect" scents that seems boring and unoriginal, but became my go-to scent for when I don't know what to wear.

The new fahrenheit was a failure imo. They made it more floral, sweeter, and really cloying. I quite liked fahrenheit in its day, but they've since reformulated and cheapened the formula.

I was just mentioning Mugler's Cologne...have you tried? Its quite a nice scent for spring. If you're stuck on Dior, try Eau Sauvage (if you haven't already).

Thierry Mugler Cologne sounds interesting, although I'm also looking at Comme des Garçons's Vettiveru. Heard some bad things about Fahrenheit 32 from several sources.. definitely avoiding it for now.

Thierry Mugler Cologne sounds interesting, although I'm also looking at Comme des Garçons's Vettiveru. Heard some bad things about Fahrenheit 32 from several sources.. definitely avoiding it for now.

Its worth smelling if its in front of you...but I wouldn't hunt it down.

Vettiveru is great. Much more complex than it comes across as, and meets my requirement for producing a nice smelling person, rather than a person who smells like they're wearing cologne.

Very good article. Gonna seek out Oranges Vert, and Russian Caravan Tea immediatey. I hope they have it in Van.

And +Rep to you sir.

Thanks.

Hermes will be at Holt Renfew (I think Van has an Hermes store too, no?).

Caravan Tea will be harder to locate, but his website sells samples of the pure perfume ($$$) or you can order the water version (recommended) from Luckyscent.com.

Why do you recommend the water based version? I know nothing about this sort of thing.

Just because most guys (I assume you're a guy...I could be wrong) prefer to spray things rather than dab on pure perfume. Its also the formulation that I have, and I don't want to recommend something I haven't tried. Also, the absolute sample is like $12 I think...but I'm sure they're both equally nice, it all just depends on how you like to apply.

If you do try the absolute, let us know how it is.

This thread has blown my mind. Never seriously thought a ton about cologne before but after reading through this thread I now want to go smell as many as possible.

Gimmegimme, you awesome fountain of knowlege - I'm planning to visit the CB store in williamsburg on saturday (now that I know it exists due to you posting a link to Brosius' website). I'll try to report back what I can about spray vs absolute if there's any difference I feel first hand.

Good times. He's often in the store apparently, so you might even meet him. I've only heard good things about visiting the store. He makes anything I know look amateur.

Apparently his "accords" of everyday stuff are quite the trip. He can make a liquid that smells like pretty much anything. He used to be the perfumer for Demeter, so that sort of explains a lot. He's like the Jelly Belly of the perfume world.

Do report back.

Just because most guys (I assume you're a guy...I could be wrong) prefer to spray things rather than dab on pure perfume. Its also the formulation that I have, and I don't want to recommend something I haven't tried. Also, the absolute sample is like $12 I think...but I'm sure they're both equally nice, it all just depends on how you like to apply.

If you do try the absolute, let us know how it is.

Alright, that actually makes quite a lot of sense. I would prefer to spray but depending on whether or not I can find anyone that has it (I'm in Oklahoma) I'll probably be trying the absolute.

I have to say, this one sort of surprised me. Maison Martin Margiela announced it will be releasing a line of fragrances with l'Oreal.

I'm picturing a white cardboard box, plain glass apothecary-style bottle....no label, filled with just alcohol. Move over CDG...

Seriously though, its my favourite fashion house, so it'll be exciting to see (smell) what they come up with.

http://www.fibre2fashion.com/news/fashion-news/newsdetails.aspx?news_id=52430

My dear sweet grandmother who's idea of purfume shopping consists of "Oh! What a pretty bottle!" gave me some over Easter. Expecting the worst, but not half bad. Sweet and woodsy. No chemical over/undertone that I find in a lot of colognes.

Oh, and I found a bottle of Oranges Vert in the Hermes shop (loved the look the septogenarian saleslady gave me when she saw a 19 year old in purple Vans in her store), but anyway, scents hellafresh. Like oranges for breakfast fresh. Russian Caravan Tea might be at Gravity Pope, they're the only store that carries CB. In the city. Toronto wins for SOME things. I'll give you that.

anyone smelled HL's velviona?

Velviona is actually named after a synthetic called Velvione (well, almost exactly the same name), because apparently Mr. Lang (et al.) really liked the smell of the synthetic. It only contains the one ingredient.

So essentially, you're paying (insert $$$ here) for a bottle of something that probably costs less than $10/kilo.

Either way, Velvione is a musk, similar to other popular synthetic musks like Galaxolide (used heavily in Tresor, and Mure et Musc), and smells decent, but if you ever get the chance to smell synthetic ingredients, you'll understand what I mean when I say it smells "incomplete".

Cool, thanks.

And I'm assuming they let you sample the fragrances, right?

Every CDG store I've been to has had every bottle on display for you to try...they're often out of stock on everything I've wanted though unfortunately. That's probably just my bad luck though.

yeah, the cdg shop on wooster became the prada sport standalone store; and when that closed after the prada flagship went live (which i'm still bitter about), the soho co-op. so, um, don't go to 116 wooster unless you're curious how many pairs of ugly jeans can be packed into a basement.

btw i've always worn creed (bois du portugal) and it's never occured to me to change (irrespective of gimmegimme's vitriol). my wife needs something new though, all the alcohol-based sprays she ends up with just wear off after an hour. i was thinking of one of frederic malle's oil based preparations, any thoughts on this or other frontiers to explore? or have i got it all wrong here? she doesn't dig the floral thing fwiw.

ps - is the velvonia the original hl perfume or something new? i always like the kind of musky soapiness of the original one.