Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

I keep getting recommended Aqua Di Gio. Anyone have opinions on this? It's cheap as hell so I guess it couldn't hurt to just pick it up.

I wouldn't hesitate to say its suitable only for cleaning purposes. Its harsh, vomit-inducing swill and it wouldn't surprise me if it was partially to blame for the war in Iraq.

On that note, I'd be happy to suggest something else if you tell me what type of smells you like.

I keep getting recommended Aqua Di Gio. Anyone have opinions on this? It's cheap as hell so I guess it couldn't hurt to just pick it up.

It actually can hurt you. There is a chance that your hair will become spiky and you will wake up with orange tan. Refer to the guido thread for more examples.

It smells okay if you like "fresh/aquatic" scents.

It is worn by about 1,000,000,000 people, which you might find a plus if you like to fit in, or a minus if you like to stand out from the crowd.

Also, the crowd in question tends to be the bro/frat crowd. Not judgin', just sayin'.

Edit: lol, I win the tolerance award. Props to polishmike for saying the g-word.

Thanks, noted.

Dry Clean I'm not so fond of, find it too chemical.

Also not sure about the orange blossom.

But will check out when I get a chance.

And have read about Clean, just haven't had the chance to smell it yet.

I completely forgot about the obvious suggestion - Cologne by Thierry Mugler. Brilliantly conceived clean musk. Once you get past the neon-green hue, its really the perfect "clean" scent.

...on top of all that, easily accessible and relatively inexpensive (2.6oz. around $50USD).

zu5bpg.jpg

Okay so I just got 71. And i've been wearing it for about an hour- and it's really turning me on. Like my penis feels all fuzzy and warm. But it doesn't smell like vagina like 53 does. 53 turns me on too. Probably because it smells like vagina.

I like the smell, but its not like a fragrance smell. It's almost like it's the natural scent of my skin or something???

It does smell like battery acid though- in a good way. It's how like a apocalypse survivor would smell. Or a post post post post-modernist or something.

I think I am going out to night. See how many ladies tell me I smell bad.

Okay so I just got 71. And i've been wearing it for about an hour- and it's really turning me on. Like my penis feels all fuzzy and warm. But it doesn't smell like vagina like 53 does. 53 turns me on too. Probably because it smells like vagina.

I like the smell, but its not like a fragrance smell. It's almost like it's the natural scent of my skin or something???

It does smell like battery acid though- in a good way. It's how like a apocalypse survivor would smell. Or a post post post post-modernist or something.

I think I am going out to night. See how many ladies tell me I smell bad.

hahaha, please update. I don't mind a shocking smell, as long as I can tell a story and it still smells clean (non-poopy).

Now available on Monocle's website (following info from nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com):

Produced for us by Comme des Garçons' perfumer,
, Hinoki is a cedary, woody scent inspired by Japanese hot-spring baths and Scandinavian forests.

The fragrance notes feature cypress, turpentine, camphor, cedar, thyme, pine, Georgian wood, frankincense, moss and vetiver.

http://www.monocle.com/Shop/Items/Fragrances/Monocle-x-Comme-des-Garcons-scent/

Same perfumer as CDG's Patchouli and most of Etat Libre D'Orange's offerings.

Here's a noob question that I don't think I've seen in this thread.

I hear a lot about colognes mixing well with your body's natural oils and enzymes. What's symptomatic of this? Just that the scent stays on you longer?

Its a highly debatable topic. Some people feel that a cologn will smell differently on two different people. Many people also say that's BS and the only contributing factor is if you really stink before you put it on.

Its a fairly accurate statement to say that scents last longer on different skin types, ie - oily skin will hold a scent longer, just as it would if you moisturized prior to applying.

All the guys on cologne forums beast over Creed...its annoying and retarded for the following reasons:

1. "Wherever possible, Olivier Creed insists on using natural essences instead of the synthetic ones used increasingly by large perfume companies these days" (Quote from Creed Website).

This is bullshit. ALL of Creed's fragrances are packed full of synthetics, and rightfully so. Synthetics are a reliable, and not always cheap ingredient in perfume. Natural ingredients are volatile, unreliable, and frequently the cause of allergic or adverse reactions. You ain't Aveda bitches...find your own fucking schtick.

2. "In France, or travelling abroad, he [Olivier Creed] personally selects the purest rose essences from Bulgaria, Turkey or Morocco as well as Italian jasmine, irises from Florence, Tuberose from India or genuine Parma violets" (another quote).

More bullshit. 99.999% of fragrance that have a violet note are synthetic. Natural violet extract is so expensive that most professional perfumers haven't even smelled it. Why you bitches gotta lie?

3. "These days, when the perfume industry is increasingly dominated by heavily advertised international brands, it comes as a refreshing surprise to discover that there still exists a discreet family-owned perfume house..."

Discreet? Creed constantly publishes a list of "Famous Clients" that have allegedly worn their scents. Every fucking magazine you pick up has their paid product placement. Who the fuck wants to smell like Richard Gere anyway??? :confused:

95% of Creed's scents smell like a mix of battery acid and cat piss. That's my rant. :)

Its a highly debatable topic. Some people feel that a cologn will smell differently on two different people. Many people also say that's BS and the only contributing factor is if you really stink before you put it on.

Gimme, if you're ever in the same town as I, we can test with Mure et Musc Extreme. Also, if you're ever in in my home town (right around San Francisco), I've a friend who smells like french fries when wearing one of the bond no. 9 scents. This isn't "oh yeah, maybe I smell something." This is "Holy shit, you smell like mcdonalds."

they didn't give you a free sample of something you wanted? ahahaha :)

All the guys on cologne forums beast over Creed...its annoying and retarded for the following reasons:

1. "Wherever possible, Olivier Creed insists on using natural essences instead of the synthetic ones used increasingly by large perfume companies these days" (Quote from Creed Website).

This is bullshit. ALL of Creed's fragrances are packed full of synthetics, and rightfully so. Synthetics are a reliable, and not always cheap ingredient in perfume. Natural ingredients are volatile, unreliable, and frequently the cause of allergic or adverse reactions. You ain't Aveda bitches...find your own fucking schtick.

2. "In France, or travelling abroad, he [Olivier Creed] personally selects the purest rose essences from Bulgaria, Turkey or Morocco as well as Italian jasmine, irises from Florence, Tuberose from India or genuine Parma violets" (another quote).

More bullshit. 99.999% of fragrance that have a violet note are synthetic. Natural violet extract is so expensive that most professional perfumers haven't even smelled it. Why you bitches gotta lie?

3. "These days, when the perfume industry is increasingly dominated by heavily advertised international brands, it comes as a refreshing surprise to discover that there still exists a discreet family-owned perfume house..."

Discreet? Creed constantly publishes a list of "Famous Clients" that have allegedly worn their scents. Every fucking magazine you pick up has their paid product placement. Who the fuck wants to smell like Richard Gere anyway??? :confused:

95% of Creed's scents smell like a mix of battery acid and cat piss. That's my rant. :)

Gimme, if you're ever in the same town as I, we can test with Mure et Musc Extreme. Also, if you're ever in in my home town (right around San Francisco), I've a friend who smells like french fries when wearing one of the bond no. 9 scents. This isn't "oh yeah, maybe I smell something." This is "Holy shit, you smell like mcdonalds."

Sumpfin in da milk aint clean y'all.

they didn't give you a free sample of something you wanted? ahahaha :)

You'd think eh? I just think they suck moose cock.

just a thought gimme, perhaps filing some of the more pertinent information you've imparted upon this thread on the very first post (ie. the gimme gimme list, other notable perfumers and retailers) might allow people a neat and tidy insight into what's happened in the 50 pages past that are particularly importatn?

just a thought.

just a thought gimme, perhaps filing some of the more pertinent information you've imparted upon this thread on the very first post (ie. the gimme gimme list, other notable perfumers and retailers) might allow people a neat and tidy insight into what's happened in the 50 pages past that are particularly importatn?

just a thought.

Sounds like a good idea.

edit - added lots of info, as well as alternatives to my 10 recommendations, etc.

good times.

So my girlfriend really likes Escada Magnetism and she just ran out. I want to get her something different, but I'm not sure what she'll like. What is out there that is similiar to Magnetism?

I would stick within Escada's offerings. Girls that wear Escada tend to like really sickly sweet stuff, and find anything else not up to par (speaking from personal experience). If you can find Ibiza Hippie, which I believe has been discontinued, that one was quite well regarded. You'll be able to find it all over ebay or at discount stores.

I'm always talking about shit I like...here's the anti-gimmegimme list.

The following colognes suck...

1. A*men (Angel for Men) by Thierry Mugler - the worst of them all. Evil reincarnate.

2. Black XS by Paco Rabanne - cheap trash. You may as well not wash.

3. Aqua Di Gio by Armani - save your $$$, buy Javex.

4. Le Male by Gaultier - monkey ass after the monkey ate a cake.

6. L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme by Issey Miyake - this is what bathrooms in gay bars smell like.

7. Tom Ford for Men - poor Tommy clearly has no creative control over his mass-market fragrances anymore.

8. Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana - they should have just butched up the women's version, but instead came up with this crap.

9. Every single Hugo Boss cologne...yes, all of them.

10. HM by Hanae Mori - cotton candy for boys, that ain't right.

11. Azzaro and Azzaro Chrome - the 80's are over...seriously.

12 Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme - you know it, it smells like rancid apple juice.

13. Safari by Ralph Lauren - true to its name...giraffe shit.