Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

okay, so i've missed a vast majority of this thread, but it's a great one. gimme, ignore these if they've been answered, but do you work in the industry? where does the vast knowledge swell from?

further to the thread, i know the fragrance has been discussed, but CDGMan2 was my most recent pick up, and I'm astounded by it. The staying power doesn't strike me as great on your skin, but it clings to clothing and i have a nice spicy scent clinging to scarves and coats that I really enjoy. strong application, but dries really nicely with the citrus notes coming out far more strongly than you would anticipate from smelling a sample. masculine without being overbearing. look forward to trying some others out in the future.

what's the wrod on the candles? worth the extreme price point? nomad (shop in toronto) has this amazing aroma that one scent doesn't seem to dominate, but rather i'm thinking its a mix of the 20 different CDG scents they have in-store that mixes wonderfully and creates something new. thoughts?

I do work in the industry, but not directly...anything I know is just from learning from others over the years.

CDGMan is very nice...I actually tried it again yesterday when I was at TNT. Its VERY potent stuff...I could smell it quite clearly when I went to bed last night...make sure you don't over-spray.

I'm not really into candles, but as far as the pricepoint goes...candle people see it the same way perfume people do. You're paying a lot for not a lot in return (material wise)...but whatever makes you happy I guess. Last time I was at Nomad, I think it was one of the CDG Incense candles that I could smell...but I might be wrong. The good thing about the pricey candles is that they're so strong you don't even have to light them...just having them in the room will stink it up.

I don't find Vettiveru to be very representative of vetiver...I'd look for a citrus candle. Diptyque makes nice candles and are the easiest to find. If you do want citrus, try Annick Goutal. Mizensir make the best candles I've come across, but they're expensive.

GG, where would one look for candles? I would love to get a candle that smells like CdG Vettiveru from Cologne series. I'm sure I can get a similar vetiver candle but I just don't know what brands to look for.

if you are willing to drop that much for a candle, i highly recommend dyptique, specially the fig one.

I don't mind buying an expensive candle but I just never found one that I liked. I use Vettiveru to spray on my sheets and it works pretty well, not too strong but still noticeable. I'm more into citrus/fresh or even colder scents and every candle is spicy/incense scented.

I don't mind buying an expensive candle but I just never found one that I liked. I use Vettiveru to spray on my sheets and it works pretty well, not too strong but still noticeable. I'm more into citrus/fresh or even colder scents and every candle is spicy/incense scented.

Its difficult to buy a candle on the internet because you can't sample before you buy. Take a look at Diptyque's website and see if they have a dealer near you (try Orange Tree, Verbena, Fig (as Egypt suggested) and Baies). Otherwise, getting a candle that matches a perfume is the safest bet. Creed make matching candles (look for Silver Mountain Water) , as does Jo Malone, who has lots of fresh scents.

Check out Annick Goutal's website as well. Eau d'Hadrien is a really nice, fresh citrus, as is Mandragore. You'll find them at most nice department stores...probably in the women's perfume section.

Thanks for the replies on YSL guys, the sample is sort of growing on me.

Also, looking for a recommendation on female scents, something flowery, not too sweet (not overly vanilla etc) yet still a 'night-time' scent and sexy. Ideally something easily available and affordable for now.

Checked out a JPG one, Chanel Mademoiselle, and Code (for her) earlier today while in a store. I do like the JPG and Chanel yet not sure if I've found what I want just yet.

Any advice would be wonderful!

Thanks for the replies on YSL guys, the sample is sort of growing on me.

Also, looking for a recommendation on female scents, something flowery, not too sweet (not overly vanilla etc) yet still a 'night-time' scent and sexy. Ideally something easily available and affordable for now.

Checked out a JPG one, Chanel Mademoiselle, and Code (for her) earlier today while in a store. I do like the JPG and Chanel yet not sure if I've found what I want just yet.

Any advice would be wonderful!

-Narciso Rodriguez For Her

-Black Orchid by Tom Ford

-Gucci Envy

-Insolence by Guerlain

More info on the upcoming CN scent. People will have high expectations after their first scent (Scent) was embraced as a rare "fashion house" release.

---

Costume National has launched 21, a new fragrance created in honor of their 21st anniversary as a fashion house:

21 plays with the purest ingredients to intoxicate the senses and leave you wanting more. Ennio Capasa has captured his favourite scents to reiterate the concept of luxurious simplicity that can be found within his ready-to-wear collections.

The (21) notes include bergamot, milk, orange blossoms, saffron, cumin, pepper, cashmere wood, royal jelly, moss, clary sage, patchouli, olibanum, amber, sandalwood, oudh wood, cedar, vetiver, labdanum, tonka bean, vanilla and musk.

From nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com.

The (21) notes include bergamot, milk, orange blossoms, saffron, cumin, pepper, cashmere wood, royal jelly, moss, clary sage, patchouli, olibanum, amber, sandalwood, oudh wood, cedar, vetiver, labdanum, tonka bean, vanilla and musk.

Damn, this is interesting. I love saffron scents, bergamot, pepper, sandalwood, vanilla and musk all flatter me. Gonna have to hunt this down I suppose.

Damn, this is interesting. I love saffron scents, bergamot, pepper, sandalwood, vanilla and musk all flatter me. Gonna have to hunt this down I suppose.

I'd have to say that "milk" and "royal jelly" both scare me a little. But the list of notes given isn't always representative of the scent itself.

Gimmie,

I have been looking for The Different Company sample set of nine. I have seen it on their website but my french is very limited and I do not really want to deal with international shipping. Do you know of anywhere that has it online?

Gimmie,

I have been looking for The Different Company sample set of nine. I have seen it on their website but my french is very limited and I do not really want to deal with international shipping. Do you know of anywhere that has it online?

I'm pretty sure its exclusive to the webstore unfortunately. You can still get a set of 3 in the US, but its not quite the same.

If you still want it though, put a "1" in the box next to the set, then click on "actualizer" on the left...

I just found a shop nearby that sells CDG... seriously rare around here.

The Guerilla series are just too plain complicated in a bad way. They smell like a woman wearing multiple disgusting perfumes and thinking she smells luxurious.

Play was alright, although I didn't try it on the skin from the bottle it smelt like crayons and bitter candy.

2 White was way too floral (definitely evoked a "white" feeling) for my taste but I could understand how somebody could like it.

I think Kyoto is going to be the one for me, I'm seriously into this one. It's like Sequoia but without the "old lady's clothing" smell you get sometimes out of it. Gimme whats your opinion on Kiehl's Original Musk Oil?

Kyoto's a great scent.

I quite like Kiehl's Musk...but I prefer the EDT to the oil, which is a bit sweet for my tastes. I use the shower gel everyday.

---

For those of you looking to order samples that you can't find at local stores, there's a new website that's just (re)opened. I've never dealt with them yet, but I'm sure I will in the near future.

http://fishbonefragrances.blogspot.com/

when people talk about cdg scents in general and they do not highlight harissa i feel like punching my keyboard ahaha.

to the usual suspects(sequoia,kyoto,skai) i also want to add that i like rhubarb quite a bit too

Harissa's quite nice as well ;)...although I still like sequoia better from the red line.

Rhubarb's one of my fav's....if you like it, try Piment Brulant by L'Artisan. Designed by the same guy, and has many similarities.

i have been refraining from ordering samples because i wanna save up money for a trip in may and i know that if i order 5 or 10 samples, there will be at least one scent that i will love and feel obligated to buy as soon as possible, setting me back 90 or so dollars from my target ahaha.

i am gonna do a "GimmeGimme list" though, and as soon as i don't feel so cheap i will proceed to order a few samples of some stuff you mentioned :)

I know the feeling. I'm almost relieved when I don't like something...just means I save some cash (my upcoming trip is in March/April).

I've found that my "excitement" over scents has diminished somewhat now though, so I tend to not get all excited about something and order it right away like I used to. That gets you in trouble. Although I did recently with L'Homme Coeur...doh.

i am gonna do a "GimmeGimme list" though, and as soon as i don't feel so cheap i will proceed to order a few samples of some stuff you mentioned :)

WARNING: the gimmegimme list is extremely habit-forming and may lead to having expensive tastes. :mad:

:P

give it up for gimmegimme, the man knows his stuff.

More info on the upcoming CN scent. People will have high expectations after their first scent (Scent) was embraced as a rare "fashion house" release.

---

Costume National has launched 21, a new fragrance created in honor of their 21st anniversary as a fashion house:

21 plays with the purest ingredients to intoxicate the senses and leave you wanting more. Ennio Capasa has captured his favourite scents to reiterate the concept of luxurious simplicity that can be found within his ready-to-wear collections.

From nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com.

I didn't see this stuff at Barneys, but I really like the Intense Parfum Limited Edition (red bottle). Too bad it's so expensive ($150/100ml).

I didn't see this stuff at Barneys, but I really like the Intense Parfum Limited Edition (red bottle). Too bad it's so expensive ($150/100ml).

After seeing the price of much of the stuff out there..that doesn't come across as too expensive, but I'm a bit jaded in that regard. Does it only come in the one size?