Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

Velviona is actually named after a synthetic called Velvione (well, almost exactly the same name), because apparently Mr. Lang (et al.) really liked the smell of the synthetic. It only contains the one ingredient.

So essentially, you're paying (insert $$$ here) for a bottle of something that probably costs less than $10/kilo.

Either way, Velvione is a musk, similar to other popular synthetic musks like Galaxolide (used heavily in Tresor, and Mure et Musc), and smells decent, but if you ever get the chance to smell synthetic ingredients, you'll understand what I mean when I say it smells "incomplete".

yeah, i'm talking about the limited edition original one that went for like $250 a bottle. i don't recall if i liked mure et musc or not.... but it sounds like a pass i guess. so essentially buying this would be the same?

also a fan of creed's BdP. one of the few creed's i actually like...

BdP is one of their better scents...but I still hate them. :mad: Who cares what I think though!

If your wife isn't into the alcohol content, you can always go with a pure perfume (extrait, parfum, etc.)

I'd recommend Ormonde Jayne...who offers all their scents in an oil-based concentration. I find the Malle oils to be much weaker than the regular EDP...I think its only available in Musk Ravageur and one other, which is based on lilies (if she's not into floral).

yeah, i'm talking about the limited edition original one that went for like $250 a bottle. i don't recall if i liked mure et musc or not.... but it sounds like a pass i guess. so essentially buying this would be the same?

also a fan of creed's BdP. one of the few creed's i actually like...

It'd be exactly the same...except the Lang would be watered down with alcohol (probably about 95% alcohol) if it was an EDT.

Singular synthetics smell kinda strange on their own...almost like a cleaning product.

I just sniffed CB's Burning Leaves and I'm hooked. Still trying to figure if the Russian Caravan will grow on me. I guess I have strange taste.

What do you think of the RCT so far?

it was a parfum. but whatever.

i really want to smell these CB's...

Seems like a bit of a rip-off, but at least the bottle is nice (albeit just 30 cent apothecary bottle).

any other cb recommendations? decants are discounted on tpc.... hmm.

I haven't tried all of them...but Violet Empire (obvious), Burning Leaves (smells like smoke), and Black March (green) were all very nice. I've been dying to try Musk Reinvention.

how does water based perfume work anyway? My natural expectation then has no longevity whatsoever but i don't know if I am just making that up.

Technically alcohol evaporates quicker than water, so it shouldn't really have any direct affect on longetivity. Essentially alcohol is added because it evaporates and releases the scent into the air, and also because its the easiest solution to dissolving the other ingredients. I Hate Perfume has managed to find a way to get stuff to dissolve in water, which is a bitch. Anyway, I only have one of his bottles, and it lasts really long on me...but it doesn't have the same initial potent blast that most fragrances would...it sort of goes on and stays the same for a while. Its hard to explain. :o

TPC?

10char.

www.theperfumedcourt.com

Does everyone have a specific cologne for certain occasions?

Do you always wear one fragrance during the day and another at night?

Do you have a specific one for first dates, gallery openings, & bat mitzvahs?

What are they?

How many do you have?

Why did you choose them?

</end>

Do report back.

So I followed through and checked out the I Hate Perfume store. and it was pretty awesome.

One wall full of all the single-note accords he uses (and they unbelievably pretty much all smelled like what the labels said. Even down the the variations between a whole set of water-themed scents. Blew my mind.

And on the opposite wall were testers of every fragrance they sell. Both in the watered down spray and as an absolute oil. I asked about the differences for use and was advised that 1) the oil WILL stain your clothes unlike the water and 2) generally they suggest the oil for the stronger scents so you can subtly dab it on certain spots while the spray is better for the subtler smells in order to more liberally apply if you want.

This made increasing sense as I smelled them all. A scent like In The Library for instance (which actually had a kind of obviously "dusty" smell to me as crazy as that seems) is totally one of those subtle, probably better as a spray, smells. The CB Musk on the other hand (which totally overwhelmed me the second I tried to smell it) is probably only safe to use as a controlled oil!

I tested the Lavender Empire on my skin in the store and wound up just buying a bottle of the oil then and there. For about the first hour, the scent was pretty strong, then it mellowed down a bit. And stayed hovering around me. By about 8 hours later I suddenly noticed it seemed to have gone away entirely. But this morning I woke up and could smell it faintly on my wrist again. These scents definitely last.

So many other great scents there. I dug Under the Arbor a lot. That one stuck in my memory. And Gathering Apples too. It's actually really awesomely sweet without being at all cloying. Burning Leaves diapointed me for some reason. But all in all a great experience.

A guy I assumed was Brosius was there but he stayed off the sales floor space. Another employee kept busy with the crowd.

Does everyone have a specific cologne for certain occasions?

Do you always wear one fragrance during the day and another at night?

Do you have a specific one for first dates, gallery openings, & bat mitzvahs?

What are they?

How many do you have?

Why did you choose them?

</end>

I have a couple of fragrances, and I usually follow few rules with them.

Givenchy Pour Homme, a bottle each of Red and Blue Label, I got them dumped on me because my brother got them for Christmas, and he's a Polo Original man.

And Michael by Michael Kors.

I have still yet to wear a fragrance I've chosen for myself

My mood and weather usually influence my descision the most. The rest of my family has one signature scent in a way. My dad sticks to CK One (for reasons I can't comprehend), my mom has J'adore by Dior. What threw me for a loop is that my sister started wearing Sunflowers by Elizabeth Arden. Not so wierd, accept the second I smelled it, I realized that it was the purfume my late first mom used to wear. I almost broke into tears right there. Some purfumes do this to you, for real.

But on to happier notes. I usually like to wear something sublter because I go to lecture halls where over %80 of the students think their the hotness, wear True Religion/ Rock & Republic, and fucking BATHE in Acqua di Gio. I'd like to think that some women appreciate the difference.

But on to happier notes. I usually like to wear something sublter because I go to lecture halls wear over %80 of the students think their the hotness, wear True Religion/ Rock & Republic, and fucking BATHE in Acqua di Gio. I'd like to think that some women appreciate the difference.

Picking a cologne to wear to class is one of the hardest things to do. It's a delicate balance between vanity & humility -- you don't want to be too noticable, but just enough so.

got my bottle of cdg monocle: hinoki today. havent taken it out the box yet but i can already smell the familiar scent of the cedar/ fir trees i used to climb as a kid, with their sticky sap. lemony wood.

will have a proper spray later.

^^^ I'm really curious about the Monocle. They didn't have a tester at NDG, and I couldn't justify dumping $165 on something I had absolutely no idea about.

They did, however have a tester of the new CDG...I haven't checked this thread lately, but i went back 5 pages and didn't read anything about it (god there's a lot of knowledge in this thread)...I loved it, about a hair away from picking it up, but it's a fairly expensive bottle (I bought jeans instead haha...). Gold 888 is fantastic, it's really fresh but spicy at the same time...not sure what the notes are, although I think there's a synthetic Saffron in there.

As for the Russian Caravan tea, and Mr. Hulot's Holiday, I wasn't blown away by these perfumes...the "ater based" scents are intriguing no doubt, but when you really break them down, you start to smell some really exquisite scents like "Pledge" or "Mr. Clean"

The Tea and Rose seemed particularly silly, as it smells literally like rose tea...I'm pretty sure I could brew you that perfume in 5 minutes.