Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

Mace Oil !

Just go and rub a healthy handfull of cumin and cayenne.

Clopek, did you ever start wearing Jardin Sur Le Nil? I went for a week and sampled Jardin en Mediterranee for a good week before settling on Nil instead. I'm super glad I did because I just discovered/sniffed-out 2 older (40something) ladies at church who wear Mediteranee.

Just go and rub a healthy handfull of cumin and cayenne.

Clopek, did you ever start wearing Jardin Sur Le Nil? I went for a week and sampled Jardin en Mediterranee for a good week before settling on Nil instead. I'm super glad I did because I just discovered/sniffed-out 2 older (40something) ladies at church who wear Mediteranee.

yumyumyum, i will sniff you out and then attach myself to your neck, k? i'm interested to see how that smells on a guy, clopek stole mine once but he wore it to work and then got a headache from it

Jardin was too femme for me. Couldn't handle it, and far be it for me to give a shit what other people think of the way i look/smell/dress/etc, I really couldn't handle how much like a woman (or my girlfriend, for that matter) I smelled.

Hinoki ftw!

does anyone have any favorites or experience with these?

---> http://www.cbihateperfume.com/CBperfumeindex.html

I have been wanting to order some for so long but it's hard to pick scents online :o the descriptions are really good though, so maybe I should just order some.

They're definitely worth a sample from luckyscent.com I have all of them in my mind to sample someday.

To date, my favorites are Black March and Burning Leaves. Black March being wonderfully complex and so damn evocative of a cold morning in a damp green environment, a fleeting experience, scent does not have longetivity (a good thing in my book)... The Burning Leaves a tad more simple, very long lasting but just as equally evocative of the smokey smell of smoke from leaves thrown on a fire.

It's crazy because although I love them both, I am also convinced strongly that I can't wear these scents around others... so my decant is relegated to spritzes before my morning runs. I did hear that some people use Burning Leaves to layer and add it's great smoke angle to other scents so it might find itself in some sort of rotation this fall. If you decide you probably won't use up a whole bottle of perfume (or oil) I suggest getting decants: http://theperfumedcourt.com/

And as for my experience with Mediteranee don't worry I'm not convinced of this scent (or any others) as being gendered... But I'm also being hyperaware of the context in which I wear it... not sure i want to wear the same scent around other women who's made it her "signature". That was really the first time I fully accepted someone wearing a perfume better and I totally respect that :)

Someone educate me, since when does perfume become rare and collectible like baseball cards?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280263995703&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018

There are two major vectors:

1. Reformulation. Various traditional perfume ingredients have been declared unsafe (in some cases it is demonstrably true, in others, we are talking about a tiny percentage of the population who may be allergic, as in the case of oakmoss, a crucial ingredient in Mitsouko and many other fragrances.) It is usually the case that aficionados do not like reformulated versions as well as the originals. Thus, a bottle of original Mitsouko is rare and irreplaceable.
  2. Bottle collectors. Some people collect the bottles and are willing to pay exorbitant prices, even though they never use the contents.

Someone educate me, since when does perfume become rare and collectible like baseball cards?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280263995703&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018

Other than what Tangerine explained...that bottle went really high because:

(a) it's pure perfume

(B) it's a giant bottle of pure perfume (12" tall)

anyone else a fan of (the now discontinued) YSL M7?

It's quite good, but very medicinal, which Oud wood can be. I prefer other renditions on it, but they're much more expensive, so M7 is a great bang-for-your-buck deal,.

That seems like a really rare thing to find from alot of perfume houses (cb I hate is the only one that comes to mind at the moment)... does guerlain make any of these available to the public usually?

(I assume when you say pure perfume, you mean oils and no alcohol or water solution)

i was just googling the fragrances i have. and found out that Abercrombie Wood ( i got more than half a decade ago).. goes for 100s on ebay... of all things! abercrombie!?!

That seems like a really rare thing to find from alot of perfume houses (cb I hate is the only one that comes to mind at the moment)... does guerlain make any of these available to the public usually?

(I assume when you say pure perfume, you mean oils and no alcohol or water solution)

I say pure perfume, but it's more like 30% oil, the rest another medium (alcohol, oil, etc.). Other terms for the same thing - parfum, extrait, etc. Guerlain does sell these normally, but the HUGE bottles (as this one is), not so common. Chanel makes some parfum concentrations, as does Hermes and other luxury brands. It's very unusual to find it available in men's scents though...only I Hate Perfume and Ormonde Jayne come to mind.

i was just googling the fragrances i have. and found out that Abercrombie Wood ( i got more than half a decade ago).. goes for 100s on ebay... of all things! abercrombie!?!

You are correct...it's one of those gems that everyone covets these days. I've never smelled it personally, but I wouldn't have guessed A&F would go for big bucks either.

just got comme des garcon incense kyoto which i love after it mellows out

if i like that, what else is similar?

Incense:

Big budget - Jubilation XXV by Amouage. Something much lighter - Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur. Hard to find - MB03 by Biehl. Cheaper - Gucci Pour Homme.

does anyone have any favorites or experience with these?

---> http://www.cbihateperfume.com/CBperfumeindex.html

I have been wanting to order some for so long but it's hard to pick scents online :o the descriptions are really good though, so maybe I should just order some.

I liked CB's Fire from Heaven. In other news.. I'm seeing this girl who is a buyer of fragrances for a known NYC boutique, she keeps hyping me up with the soon to launch L'Artisan's Eau de Liane and has introduced me to other obscure fragrance labels. Now I'm really fucked, as if I already didn't have enough scents to keep happy. First this thread...now her.

I liked CB's Fire from Heaven. In other news.. I'm seeing this girl who is a buyer of fragrances for a known NYC boutique, she keeps hyping me up with the soon to launch L'Artisan's Eau de Liane and has introduced me to other obscure fragrance labels. Now I'm really fucked, as if I already didn't have enough scents to keep happy. First this thread...now her.

It's actually Fleur de Liane, and it's nothing special...so no worries there! ;)

If she's a buyer, doesn't that mean free swag?

Yeah free swag is cool by me. I just want to walk out of my apt and not think hard what to spray for today. She actually layers a lot of scents. Her neck smells differently from her wrist or her other arm... not that I'm complaining.

Yeah free swag is cool by me. I just want to walk out of my apt and not think hard what to spray for today. She actually layers a lot of scents. Her neck smells differently from her wrist or her other arm... not that I'm complaining.

this is a pretty cool idea... but not one I'm about to try as my knowledge on what scents clash is quite limited.

I'm now intrigued by the CB.. Burning Leaves sounds like something i'd like to try for winter, under my regular frag.

Did we just sufu-hype something? LOL It's great to see this happening for frags other than CDG. YAAAAAAAAY.

JJ, you should buy the oil to layer as I think it might last longer.

I'm pretty sure these exist... and the idea of producing a quality rum aroma in a perfume is interesting (and also at the same time challenging to not laugh at).

As for the smells... I think that although the woods can make a difference (for really old casked rum), the most important factor that decides rum's distinct aroma is time, the sugar and the yeast. The age of rum produces distinct aromas, just as much as how the cane sugar is processed. I believe the more complex high end deep smelling rums are produced by fermentation of the sugar cane.

Man, I cannot imagine wanting to smell good rum on anything but right before I sip from a glass of it.

heyy, havent been in here long but alcoholic smells (rum / whiskey) that dont smell too spicy / musky?

this one sales guy was telling me that those alcoholic smells come from the woods that are used to keep the alcohol.. true? or no?

Try Idole de Lubin; the notes listed are rum absolute, saffron, bitter orange peel, black cumin, Doum palm, smoked ebony, sugar cane, leather and red sandalwood. Disclaimer: I haven't tried it, but I have heard from several people that the rum notes are there.

Some people think L'Artisan's Dzongkha smells like whiskey, but to me it smells like crab boil. As always, try to get a sample before plunking down cash for a full bottle.

I think the sales guy is probably full of shit, but I don't make perfumes, so I guess there could be truth in it.