coffee anyone?

xcoldricex

I went to this place on Bleeker St. across from Atrium that was pretty good...forget the name. There was a girl in there with some RO jawnz on :)

I also like Aroma on W. Houston...they give out nice little chocolates when you buy some coffee.

I went to this place on Bleeker St. across from Atrium that was pretty good...forget the name. There was a girl in there with some RO jawnz on :)

I also like Aroma on W. Houston...they give out nice little chocolates when you buy some coffee.

sup new coffee

3378175496_04d9e824d7.jpg

tastes great. Really smooth, the description of 'milk chocolate undertones' actually fits really well.

First time I've actually brewed french press myself. Dunno why I've never done so before-- way better than drip.

also: any recent coffee recs/favorite roasters?

^^

I wish I had an espresso machine (like, a decent one + grinder) at home. Not sure of any cafe that has Black Cat right now.. and I can't brew it at home so :(

Anyone know how stumptown's coffee compares to others like Intelligentsia/Verve/etc? I've heard a lot of good things bout it and just realized that a couple of cafés here brew it and I'm not sure whether I should run there now or just go when I'm in the area.

As per many a reliable sources, and this very useful site: http://www.espressomap.com/ I would recommend checking out Cafe Grumpy, Ninth Street Espresso, and Gimme Coffee for top notch coffee. My firsthand Stumptown experience is limited to 20 or so shots of their Hairbender at Four Barrel, but based on that, I can give it a hearty recommendation.

About time we got a coffee thread ;)

I'm using a silvia at home and haven't looked back. Initially it was a bit fiddly and all over the show until I learnt to properly tamp and heat milk but now it's great and I enjoy coffee at home then most cafes.

Any Australian users interested in coffee or sourcing some good brown or green beans should check out CoffeeSnobs

Hopefully this thread can come to life...I would be stoked on it. I have been using a Silvia for over a year now, and I am really starting to feel the upgrade fever. I only drink espresso, normale and ristretto, so shot quality is my number one priority. Even though I have been using the same blend (Black Cat Classic) for the last 7 monts, yesterday it took me 45 minutes of experimenting with grind and dose and temperature surfing to get a ristretto that was even in the same league (but nowhere near the quality) of what Intelligentsia has pulled each time I have been to their Silverlake location. It has been a great machine, but the moment finances allow, I will very likely be acquiring a new grinder and a new machine with better temperature stability and control.

We got back from Costa Rica a few months ago and that was some of the best coffee I've ever had. Farmers get just fucked over by Starbucks though from what they told me. Demanding prices so low they can barely afford to produce let alone turn a profit.

Yeah, fuck Starbucks and any other exploitative coffee chains. This is exactly why I only buy coffee if I know where the beans are sourced from. There is a great fair-trade cafe right near college so that helps :P

Funny thing is, in a lot of South American countries the same people that grow coffee/cacao also grow coca because it is much more profitable. In a very real way, the exploitation of already poor farmers by coprorations like Starbucks is directly contributing to the production of cocaine.

Fuck you Starbucks!

Been meaning to get a good academic text on the issue for a while now...

Well holy shit...I suppose I should poke around in the trash a little more often...I had no idea there was such a serious coffee thread happening. Subscribed!

I spent a fair amount of time yesterday perfecting my shot parameters for an intense double ristretto using Intelligentsia Black Cat Classic. I finally got it dialed in as close to perfect as I can with my rig and my skills, and as things go, ran out of coffee. I'm hitting the Silverlake Intelligentsia tomorrow and might be tempted to try a half pound of the single origin espresso roasts they are doing now. Anyone on here pulling their own espresso shots at home?

do any of you know of a good coffee shop in the pasadena area?

I'm jealous of how close you are to Intelligentsia. I have heard LAMILL (also in Silverlake) is an interesting experience too, but I am partial to Intelligentsia.

also: any recent coffee recs/favorite roasters?

Having only spent time in the Bay Area, Portland and Los Angeles since I have been into coffee, I have been so pleased with Stumptown, Intelligentsia, Barefoot, and Ritual Roasters that I haven't really tried much else. Grumpy's uses Ritual Roasters beans, although I don't know if they use other beans as well, so what you have right now may, or may not be Ritual. Stumptown and Intelligentsia are both available in Manhattan, although I don't have a list of specific locations at the moment.

Black Cat

Ahh the infamous black cat, I wish we could get it here, it sounds amazing.

What kind of grinder are you using? I know what you mean with the temperature problems of the Silvia, driving me nuts especially when frothing milk. I find it's best to flush alot of steam out while the boiler is still warming up then leave it for a little and begin steaming while the light is still on. This seems to produce a good amount of steam otherwise if I wait until the light goes off it seems hopeless. I've kinda been tossing up whether to buy a PID but they're not cheap mmm.