coffee anyone?

xcoldricex

Ahh the infamous black cat, I wish we could get it here, it sounds amazing.

What kind of grinder are you using? I know what you mean with the temperature problems of the Silvia, driving me nuts especially when frothing milk. I find it's best to flush alot of steam out while the boiler is still warming up then leave it for a little and begin steaming while the light is still on. This seems to produce a good amount of steam otherwise if I wait until the light goes off it seems hopeless. I've kinda been tossing up whether to buy a PID but they're not cheap mmm.

I am using a doserless rocky, which is ok, but it is really where I should upgrade first. I have it even easier than you as far as the Silvia goes, because I don't ever steam milk. I have been playing around with the idea of outfitting my Silvia with a PID, but everything I am reading is leading me to believe that I will be much happier in the long term just taking a step up with my machine, because even with the PID eliminating the hassle of temp surfing, there is by all accounts a discernible difference in both forgivability and quality when stepping up to even the very bottom of the HX market (or a PID, E61 single boiler like the Alexia).

All that said, I imagine things could very-well change soon, as I am starting training Wednesday for my new gig as a barista for Intelligentsia...I reckon that working with, and drinking from Synesso Cyncras and La Marzocco Mistrals is going to ruin any enthusiasm I might have for reasonably priced home-espresso gear. I very well may stop making espresso at home and concentrate on my french-press and vac-pot game while saving money for something crazy.

As per many a reliable sources, and this very useful site: http://www.espressomap.com/ I would recommend checking out Cafe Grumpy, Ninth Street Espresso, and Gimme Coffee for top notch coffee. My firsthand Stumptown experience is limited to 20 or so shots of their Hairbender at Four Barrel, but based on that, I can give it a hearty recommendation.

i see that artigiano's (vancouver) listed. i wonder when this guy went there because CA was sold to an old earl's exec back in '06. according to other reviews, CA just went downhill after that. the piccolo brothers still run a roasting plant in the lower mainland.

Having only spent time in the Bay Area, Portland and Los Angeles since I have been into coffee, I have been so pleased with Stumptown, Intelligentsia, Barefoot, and Ritual Roasters that I haven't really tried much else. Grumpy's uses Ritual Roasters beans, although I don't know if they use other beans as well, so what you have right now may, or may not be Ritual. Stumptown and Intelligentsia are both available in Manhattan, although I don't have a list of specific locations at the moment.

Yeah, that one's from Ritual, and they usually carry Intelligentsia and.. I forget. I've had stumptown at Ninth Street, really great, but I hear they're switching to Intelligentsia, so I'll have to find somewhere else that serves stumptown.

does anyone have any recs for either LAMILL or Intelligentsia?

coffee not espresso

Was a really big fan of Intelligentsia's Yirgacheffe when I tried it out a few months ago.

Whow, why is this in Trash?

Somebody move this to Culture..

Subbed.

The rest of the teachers on my team got me a $20 starbucks gift card as a thanks. Gonna go get something on the way back from the post office. Dunno what though. Want something fancy and gay

Where in Boston to get good coffee? Preferably nearish to newbery and not off in cambridge. Will be there next week and want to get a delicious cup

Where in Boston to get good coffee? Preferably nearish to newbery and not off in cambridge. Will be there next week and want to get a delicious cup

Newbury sucks for coffee.

The bux near stel's has a Clover, though. I would go with that.

If you're morally opposed to bux, there's a brand new organic/fairtrade something just opened up. Haven't been yet, though. My friend said it was decent, not great.

Hit up Emack and Bolio or JP Lick's for a frappe. Get fat and give your tastebuds an orgasm.

Anyone with access to Intelligentsia coffee should go pick up a pound of Kenya Thunguri. I cupped it today and was impressed. Then tried it in a French Press and an Eva Cafe Solo, and the extent to which it maintained all that was awesome about it, but highlighted different aspects with each different brewing method was a real treat. I will be drinking this as much as I can until I can't get my hands on it anymore.

had a cup of hecks cafe coffee today...the cafe itself is in cleveland but you can buy bags of it, of course.

it has some cinnamon and chocolate in it im sure, and it hits the spot everytime.