coffee anyone?

xcoldricex

I have yet to find a good place for coffee in Seattle, which is very depressing

Have you tried stumptown?

If you really are seeking the perfect french press cup, this is a great starting point:

http://vimeo.com/2222293

Some schools of thought favor a finer grind with a shorter brew time, but this will definitely set you in the right direction.

Hm...if those who opt for the finer grind, how exactly do you use that with a french press? It'll just seep through. Hm.

Hm...if those who opt for the finer grind, how exactly do you use that with a french press? It'll just seep through. Hm.

Depends what point of reference you are starting from...you may already be grinding "finer". I am talking about grinding in a range only slightly courser than what you would use for pour-over, or automatic drip. A lot of people advocate grinding super super coarse for french press...like on a stepped shop grinder where Espresso is 1.5 and filter is 3-4, the "finer grind school" would grind at a 4.5 and the "traditional super-coarse advocates" would be on a 7. Hopefully that makes a little sense. Lately, my answer has been to not use the French Press but instead either use different pour-over methods, or the Eva Solo Cafe Solo, which is a nice alternative to the French Press.

Also, just started using my new toy, the Hario Skerton hand grinder:

http://intelligentsiacoffee.com/store/product/id/5219

It could definitely use some mods to help it deal with burr-float issues, but for 36 bucks, it is absolutely stunning, and I promise you that for the price of two pounds of nice coffee, having a grinder at home is the best thing you could ever do for your coffee making.

tmadd, it was recommended to me to quickly stir the grinds after adding water to my french press (creating a bloom i think) in order to maximize the evenness of steeping. i noticed in the video, the guy doesn't stir it, but rather just lets it sit for the steeping time, and then proceeds to skim the grinds off the top.

what method is best? am i ruining my cup by stirring? :(

Depends what point of reference you are starting from...you may already be grinding "finer". I am talking about grinding in a range only slightly courser than what you would use for pour-over, or automatic drip. A lot of people advocate grinding super super coarse for french press...like on a stepped shop grinder where Espresso is 1.5 and filter is 3-4, the "finer grind school" would grind at a 4.5 and the "traditional super-coarse advocates" would be on a 7. Hopefully that makes a little sense. Lately, my answer has been to not use the French Press but instead either use different pour-over methods, or the Eva Solo Cafe Solo, which is a nice alternative to the French Press.

Also, just started using my new toy, the Hario Skerton hand grinder:

http://intelligentsiacoffee.com/store/product/id/5219

It could definitely use some mods to help it deal with burr-float issues, but for 36 bucks, it is absolutely stunning, and I promise you that for the price of two pounds of nice coffee, having a grinder at home is the best thing you could ever do for your coffee making.

That's definitely inspiring; I'm gonna look into that grinder. Other than that though, do you have any other recommendations for home grinders? I was looking into the $50 Burr Mill by CuisinArt:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DBM-8-Supreme-Grind-Automatic/dp/B00018RRRK

Yay ou Nay? I figured it was the cheapest I could find online that would provide even, coarse grounds. Then again I heard it doesn't last too terribly long...

That's definitely inspiring; I'm gonna look into that grinder. Other than that though, do you have any other recommendations for home grinders? I was looking into the $50 Burr Mill by CuisinArt:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DBM-8-Supreme-Grind-Automatic/dp/B00018RRRK

Yay ou Nay? I figured it was the cheapest I could find online that would provide even, coarse grounds. Then again I heard it doesn't last too terribly long...

For home grinders, I think that Intelligentsia has done a phenomenal job of sourcing only the best in class grinders, so I would go with the most expensive grinder on the website that you can bring yourself to spend the money on. I think that the Virtuoso is an amazing grinder, but it is also a little more than 200 bucks. I wouldn't even bother spending money on an electric grinder cheaper than the Capresso Intelli sells.

tmadd, it was recommended to me to quickly stir the grinds after adding water to my french press (creating a bloom i think) in order to maximize the evenness of steeping. i noticed in the video, the guy doesn't stir it, but rather just lets it sit for the steeping time, and then proceeds to skim the grinds off the top.

what method is best? am i ruining my cup by stirring? :(

I haven't done any serious head to head taste comparisons on stir vs no stir, but, stirring definitely won't ruin your brew, it just has to be accounted for with your other parameters, as it will definitely promote more extraction in the same amount of time. Stirring or not though, I definitely stand by the skim method...it has a super noticeable effect on cup cleanliness and clarity.

The idea of skimming has crossed over from the french press to Americanos and even espressos, although with Americanos and Espressos, you are skimming the crema, which is different than skimming the top of a french press brew. My take on it is that it is a definite improvement for Americanos, but it fundamentally alters defining characteristics of espresso and is best left for training or evaluative purposes only.

• 2 weeks later...
is anybody up on the chemex tip? i'm actually looking to find a place in nyc that sells them so i can check out the filters for my regular setup but the only lead i have so far (3rd rail) doesn't have a phone # i can find for some reason... freakin luddites

I bought a Chemex (3 cup) a few weeks ago and promptly threw away my coffee maker. Once you try it there's no going back.

So now i'm only using my espresso machine and Chemex at home, no more french press or drip machines for me.

Just order it off their site, it's fast and cheap.

anybody have good recipes with coffee involved?

Take 2 tablespoons of ground beans and add 10 ounces of hot water, let sit for two minutes then drain.

I bought a Chemex (3 cup) a few weeks ago and promptly threw away my coffee maker. Once you try it there's no going back.

So now i'm only using my espresso machine and Chemex at home, no more french press or drip machines for me.

Just order it off their site, it's fast and cheap.

ok sounds about right... is it more of a pain to clean than a regular drip? cos i'm like the laziest dishwasher in the world

the coffee is europa is so bloody good. its all espresso, cafe au lait, or cappuccino

and they're all fantastic

i couldn't fuck with "Americano" style after drinking this for the last 3 weeks

they're all so cheap too....had a double espresso today for 1€

Chemex is legit. It is super clean....probably the cleanest method there is because you just toss the paper filter as soon as your done brewing and then rinse out the Chemex when you finish your coffee. When done correctly you get a super clean cup that is mega-aromatic and seems to assist in being able to discern between the multitude of flavors present. Chemex paper filters are a heavy paper that results in a markedly different tasting cup of coffee from other filter methods...it is simple, elegant, delicious and generally rad.

coffee meetups sound dodgy - come in groggy, leave hyperactive?

C'mon, we can talk about who actually wrote Expert Knob Twiddlers over a few cups of coffee.