coffee anyone?

xcoldricex

I thought you were meant to let the beans sit, sealed, for 7-12 days after roasting for maximum character?

True. You can get away with using them after 48 hours if you're desperate but best to wait longer.

True. You can get away with using them after 48 hours if you're desperate but best to wait longer.

If you are talking espresso...7-10 days is usually the sweet spot, but for brewed coffee, I generally find 1-4 days off roast to be the absolute best. The absolute best parts of some of the finest coffees can fade really fast.

I want one of these in my life, or more specifically, in my kitchen:

speedster-Speedster-zwart-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I want one of these in my life, or more specifically, in my kitchen:

speedster-Speedster-zwart-1.jpg

Definitely some next level right there.

I'm sort of getting back into coffee after a bit of hiatus; anyone want to reccommend any local coffee's I can find in Arizona? Could be in-store or super-local...I just want to break the mold of Sbux and Dunkin. Illy?

I still need to get me a burr mill grinder too...ugh. Lowest priced suggestions on that as well?

just found this thread...

Currently I'm on a Community Coffee Kick. I grew up with the French Market, but Community is a lot cheaper...

I used to grind every morning, but pre-ground Community sure saves time.

I grind on the weekend though when I have time.

• 2 weeks later...
I mentioned this a little while back, but are there any reccomondations for burr mill grinders around the sub $100 range? It's mostly for french pressed coffee, and a lot of the ones I've seen around $50 have had horrendous reviews. Anyone?

capresso infinity is usually considered one of the better entry level burr grinders, I think.

capresso infinity is usually considered one of the better entry level burr grinders, I think.

Don't buy an entry level grinder other than the capresso unless you are getting a japanese made, ceramic burr hand grinder, or upgrading and getting one of the grinders made by baratza. The Capresso is a smoking deal for what it does.

stumptown

caffe umbria

vivace

vita

d'arte

zoka if you're close to one of their locations

I'd also definitely check out Victrola, Starbucks Street level concept stores- 15th Ave and Roy St., and I hear only good things about what Trabant is doing with 49th parallel. A spot just opened up in Santa Monica, not to far from the shop I work at that is doing a pretty good job with the Epic Espresso from 49th and it's nice to have a place to get tasty espresso away from where i work.

I mentioned this a little while back, but are there any reccomondations for burr mill grinders around the sub $100 range? It's mostly for french pressed coffee, and a lot of the ones I've seen around $50 have had horrendous reviews. Anyone?

I've been very pleased with my Baratza Maestro burr grinder ($99). I use it to for french press coffee and also espresso.

http://www.wholelattelove.com/Baratza/maestro.cfm

You can also get the Solis166 which is essentially rebadged into a Starbucks Barista. Works well for cafetiere. You can mod it to grind fine for espresso.

It's quite cheap.

i have one of those starbucks poss sitting around after an upgrade to a rancilio rocky. it would make a nice companion to a pressurized portafilter machine with unpressurized basket 'mod,' so you could put together a whole setup for less than like $125. will ship it to the first taker for like usd 7.50 + shipping. (7.50 basically free, just to make it worth my time). full disclosure: i 'modded' it, which means i just set it to grind finer by spinning the burr inside the case. it takes a little finagling to get it working tip top, too as the grind knob broke and i had to gorrila glue it back together.

i have one of those starbucks poss sitting around after an upgrade to a rancilio rocky. it would make a nice companion to a pressurized portafilter machine with unpressurized basket 'mod,' so you could put together a whole setup for less than like $125. will ship it to the first taker for like usd 5 + shipping. (7.50 basically free, just to make it worth my time). full disclosure: i 'modded' it, which means i just set it to grind finer by spinning the burr inside the case. it takes a little finagling to get it working tip top, too as the grind knob broke and i had to gorrila glue it back together.

fixed, i was kidding myself thinking my time was worth $7.50.

nobody wants to up their coffee game from pre-ground to cheaply self-ground? thing is just sitting in my living room waiting to go to the trash or whatever. if you live in south florida, we could even do a mini-sufu meetup whereby i teach you to use the thing.

P1000135-500x375.jpg

My friends have begun roasting their own coffee beans and the results have been amazing. This is a cup of Kenyan coffee that was made in a siphon coffee maker.... the flavor is bold but smooth, with slight floral and berry notes.

Cold brewed, Andrew?

No, it was brewed regularly with a siphon coffee maker over a burner. They made several pots the night before and it was so good that I couldn't bear to toss the leftovers.... so I poured it into a jar and brought it to work with me today. Tasted just as good!

That's a sign of a truly good cup of coffee, in my opinion- if it gets cold and still tastes great :)

I'm planning on a review of a semi-local coffee shop I frequent. Roast while u wait!

I bought a Baratza refurb Virtuoso a little less than a year ago and it's been absolutely great for me. Check out this site: http://www.baratza.com/refurb.php. it's all of Baratza's refurbed stuff at really good prices with quick shipping. If you're just making french press or drip the maestro will be a great match. Reliable and effective. If you think that one day you want to upgrade to espresso I'd make the jump to the Virtuoso as it's more adjustable and a little higher quality.

From what I hear it basically holds it's own against much heavier hitters at a much much more reasonable price.

I'm getting conflicting opinions on how fine to grind my beans when using a french press. I know they should generally be a bit coarser than when using a filter brewer, but just how coarse is coarse? I've seen people go ridiculously chunky and still have almost whole beans in there.