coffee anyone?

xcoldricex

really? how can you reach the bottom? seems like it would be a bitch.

key to french press is a good grinder, i'm sure this would do the job but it just screams gimmick. plus it will break at some point and the replacement is probably expensive.

Cleaning is easier based on the assumption that you clean it within ten minutes of brewing...at that point, pouring out the grinds and hitting the Eva Solo with a quick water rinse is all that is required. The grinder we have been using is a Mahlkoenig Guatemala Lab Grinder, so there isn't really much upgrading that could be done in terms of grinders to swing the results back towards the French Press. I totally feel you on the Eva Solo seeming like a gimmick...I went in to the testing convinced that it was entirely a gimmick and that it would at best be able to equal the french press, I have been convinced otherwise. Another nice thing about the Solo is that if you pour 4 different cups from one brew, the taste across the 4 will be uniform, something that is definitely not the case with a French Press. While I would say the differences are definitely noticeable, and well worth justifying the extra expense of the Solo, I readily acknowledge that this all pre-supposes that you are drinking fresh, high-quality coffee, freshly ground, and you are using the correct brewing practices and parameters...if those things aren't on point, it doesn't make sense to spend more money on something that contributes noticeable, yet subtle differences.

And after spending the morning extolling the virtues of the Eva Solo over a French Press, I am starting up my studying tonight with a press of Kenya, Thunguri from Intelligentsia...mouth-watering good.

10:50pm. French press of Zirikana, Rwanda from Intelligentsia. Might have some Agua Preta, Brazil later.

I am really enjoying Zirikana right now. I haven't tasted the Agua Preta for awhile, but I am guessing it would be a nice follow-up to the Rwanda.

Tried Aua Preta last night. It's good. I don't like it nearly as much as Zirikana though.

I find that my preference for brewed coffee is leaning heavily towards African coffees right now, with good Kurimi and Thunguri taking the cake, and Zirikana being an interesting option as well However, for espresso right now, there is nothing I am enjoying as much as Anjilanaka and La Maravilla.

Edit: I should note that these are all Intelligentsia offerings.

My roomie just got this thing called an Aeropress. It makes a damn fine cup of coffee but it's cleaner than a french press which is really nice. Just had a cup of Tanzanian Peaberry before I leave to skate.

There is a local roaster here that I'm going to go to for a cupping next week. I will also be picking up 12oz of Java Estate coffee there. Them's some good beans.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm quite devoted to 4Barrel, but just got a pound of Barefoot's Finca San Jose.. it's quite possibly one of the best beans for non-espresso use i've ever had.

http://www.barefootcoffeeroasters.com/coffee/americas/el-salvador/finca-san-jose/finca-408/

i am 24 yo. Up until last week, the only coffee ive ever had was the starbucks frappucinos that you get from 7-11. I tried my frist coffee last week and have been drinking 1-2 every day since.

caffe latte is what i do. What should i try next? im very new and dont know shit bout dranks

get a capp next.

after that brewed coffee. Doesn't really matter what it is as long as it's 100% arabica. First with milk, then black.

Then get an espresso at a place that actually knows what the fuck they're doing (at least no robo-machines, ask a friendly coffee drinker nearby).

Then you can start getting into all the weird and wonderful varietals that all us geeky mofos are into.

anyway, alcoholic beverages await. enjoy the wonderful world of coffee.

i am 24 yo. Up until last week, the only coffee ive ever had was the starbucks frappucinos that you get from 7-11. I tried my frist coffee last week and have been drinking 1-2 every day since.

caffe latte is what i do. What should i try next? im very new and dont know shit bout dranks

cafe americano - like regular coffee but better

espresso machiatto - double shot of espresso with a dollop of foam

cafe breve - like a cappuccino but with half & half instead of milk...super rich