coffee anyone?

xcoldricex

^I slowly taught myself to enjoy coffee that way. It means you can nearly always drink the coffee anywhere... I think it started when I started attending conferences with limitless, free (but not particularly good) coffee.

I'm taking a break from coffee. My body has begun an unwarranted symbiotic relationship with my morning caffeine ritual.

I also just ran through my last batch of beans incredibly quick. Gonna let that chill before I go for another one.

First time using a french press tonight. I think i kinda messed up :(

will try again tomorrow. i think part of the problem was trying to make only 1 cup (like 6oz) in a relatively large 8cup model so i couldn't press down all the way. Tomorrow i'll just make a bigger pot and let my roomate have a cup or just chug down a bunch of coffee.

I didn't use fancy beans because i wanted to not suck at it first. I just got some shit from fresh market (kinda like whole foods if you don't have a fresh market in town). Flavored ones because the girly coming into town likes that stuff. This orange one and then a chocolate one. They smelled fucking amazing in the big bins at the store. I ground them myself at home before brewing.

I'll have to look back through this thread for advice/tips/bean recommendations.

will try again tomorrow. i think part of the problem was trying to make only 1 cup (like 6oz) in a relatively large 8cup model so i couldn't press down all the way. Tomorrow i'll just make a bigger pot and let my roomate have a cup or just chug down a bunch of coffee.

I didn't use fancy beans because i wanted to not suck at it first. I just got some shit from fresh market (kinda like whole foods if you don't have a fresh market in town). Flavored ones because the girly coming into town likes that stuff. This orange one and then a chocolate one. They smelled fucking amazing in the big bins at the store. I ground them myself at home before brewing.

I'll have to look back through this thread for advice/tips/bean recommendations.

Flavored beans will build up a layer of funk in your grinder that will be hard to get rid of. Impress the girl with some non-flavored coffee that has huge flavor a fruit notes up front. Less bitter and way better than anything flavored. As you are in Florida, I don't know much about what is available locally, but if you can find a place that has Counter Culture(Durham, NC based) beans, try picking up something from Kenya or Ethiopia. Tasty coffees that are generally pretty forgiving if you haven't perfected your brew methods.

Not really worried about impressing her but she asked for them. I was kinda worried about the flavor in the grinder but i cleaned it out immediately after grinding so hopefully it won't do much. I'll look through the rest of this thread to see what beans are pretty good. I kept seeing Intelligentsia and Gorilla tossed around. I dunno about finding it locally though. Thanks for the advice though

Got introduced to espresso worth having over the past few weeks at Blue Bottle and Ritual in SF. Totally different than what I have experienced. This is the rotation at my house, acquired from Humboldt Bay and Sacred Grounds roasters locally:

Brazil Estate

IMG_3348.jpg

El Salvador Pacamara Cup of Excellence Winning beanz

IMG_3349.jpg

Ethiopia Yirgacheffe, smaller than the others, with a plentiful amount of peaberries that get roasted lighter due to their shape.

IMG_3350.jpg

India Jasmine Estate

IMG_3351.jpg

Didn't get a shot of the Costa Rica Doka Estate, but they are quite delicious. The brewing method in my house is the Aeropress, similar in function to a Clover (the best of both french press and vacuum pot), but $30 instead of $11,000 for the device. It makes a damn good cup of joe.

The first espresso worth drinking is a mind-blower, mine was at Four Barrel when they were still serving in the back alley...did you make it to Four Barrel this time around?

I would love to know how you are brewing with your aeropress, as I understand it, it can be done a vast many ways, and to a great number of delicious (depending on your preferences) results. Tim Wendelboe (former world barista champion) is a big proponent of them, and even facilitates an Aeropress competition.

I went to Four Barrel a number of months ago and got a cup of coffee while my gf got a latte. The cup was pretty nice, but the latte was reeeeally good.

As far as the Aeropress, I just grind the beans fine, let the boiling water cool 10-20 seconds, add the H20, stir 15-20 seconds, and press for about 20 seconds, more or less. I would be excited to find more about how to Aeropress most proficiently, or the different ways this guy does it. I was trying to find somewhere that explained the grams to water ratio and ideal water temp for different beans.

I've been looking for specific methods that I trust on the CoffeeGeek thread about the aeropress, but it is a huge thread with alot of static that doesn't actually have anything to do with brewing methods. I need to pick one up and do some experiments myself.

• 2 months later...

hey so, if you want to make really freaking tasty coffee follow these instructions(mine coffee >: ) )

the coffee industry fatcats would have you believe this is the best way, however the secret the coffee companies don't want you to know is that this makes a better tasting cup of coffee.

1-boil the water, let it cool down for at least 30 seconds. or don't even get it hot enough to boil.

2-with the ground coffee in the press, pour just enough water in to cover the beans, then a little bit more, and stir it well. then pour in the remainder of the water you're using, and place the plunger on top.

3-after 30 seconds, depress the plunger one or two cm, then wait.

their guide says at least 4 minutes, but i never let it sit for more than 3 mintues before finishing it. 2 and 3 are really what make the taste.

I just discovered this thread and now I want some french-pressed goodness like hXc, but it's 3:05am. But subcribed.

and I just scored an 8oz Bodum press on eBay for $12, sweet!

Though I've been using the store to grind my beans, and I attempted to get starbucks grounds since I don't have a grinder at home; I specifically told them coarse ground, and the "barista" dude even asked what kind of "filters" I used. I told him I use a french press. Come to find out I get home and it's finely ground. Fail.

I'm still new to this french press though...any tips on how to make the perfect cup?

If you really are seeking the perfect french press cup, this is a great starting point:

http://vimeo.com/2222293

Some schools of thought favor a finer grind with a shorter brew time, but this will definitely set you in the right direction.