coffee anyone?

xcoldricex

I am using a Rancilio Rocky doserless which is adequate, but not particularly good for espresso or home-brewing and I need to upgrade for both...or just give up on home espresso altogether.

Tyler, the Rancilio doserless is actually a good home grinder.. especially for the price, it's under $400 and i personally think does a great job.

It ain't no Mazzer Royal, but it's still great.

Tyler, the Rancilio doserless is actually a good home grinder.. especially for the price, it's under $400 and i personally think does a great job.

It ain't no Mazzer Royal, but it's still great.

You're right in that for under five hundred it is one of the best grinders for both espresso and brewing (with the baratza vario and maybe a Macap m4). That said it's hard to really get espresso dialed in with it and it has too many fines when you grind course for press or pour-over. That said my perspective is based largely on having spent the last month using a Robur E for espresso and a mahlkoenig guatemala lab grinder for brew. I agree it is pretty good for the money, but I would rather have something that did one thing optimally instead of splitting the difference.

• 2 weeks later...

This mornings coffee: Intelligentsia Fazenda Kaquend Brazil Cup Of Excellence 1st Place brewed with a Hario V60 Pour-Over. Excellent coffee, and a fantastic by the cup brewing method...I am so stoked on pretty much everything Hario does.

In other coffee news, barring any unforseen delays Intelligentsia is opening its Venice Coffeebar on Abbot Kinney next Friday and having an opening party on the 22nd with Peanut Butter Wolf DJing and lots of excellent wine and beer from Silverlake Wine. Party is open to 21+ and will be an excellent time. LA folks have no reason not to come...this one will be worth flying in for.

Quick noob question:

is the Eva Solo viable for making single portions of coffee at a time? I want to get one but i'm probably only going to be making around 10 oz of brewed coffee at a time, but this thing makes a liter.

Also, how noticible is fresh ground coffee compared to preground? I don't really feel like spending $300 for a grinder right now.

i have a solis maestro grinder and it works fine for my french press

i think for what you are looking to do any type of grinder would work

this may seem like a dumb answer to your question but: you could just use less water? or buy a smaller single cup size french press

fresh ground is better than preground

Quick noob question:

is the Eva Solo viable for making single portions of coffee at a time? I want to get one but i'm probably only going to be making around 10 oz of brewed coffee at a time, but this thing makes a liter.

Also, how noticible is fresh ground coffee compared to preground? I don't really feel like spending $300 for a grinder right now.

There is a .6L Eva Solo that would probably allow you to brew in the 12oz range comfortably.

Fresh ground compared to pre-ground is the single biggest difference maker (unless you include good, well roasted coffee versus low grade, incorrectly roasted coffee) you have for brewing coffee. I would rather drink fresh ground coffee that scored in the low 80s than preground coffee that would score in the 90s when fresh, by a fair amount. A grinder is the absolute most important part of a coffee rig, and you get great returns for each extra dollar spent, assuming you get a best in price range grinder. The new Baratza Vario is pretty awesome, but its 500ish. If you don't want to go that way, the Baratza Virtuoso at 200, or a Zassenhaus handmill (new or perhaps even better, vintage and reconditioned) is the way to go.

Brewing Priorities

1. Good quality, artisan roasted coffee

2. Freshly ground coffee, consistent, quality grinder

3. Good purified or filtered water, Crystal Geyser is the best easily available solution

4. Clean Brewing equipment

5. Proper brewing technique and parameters

• 3 weeks later...

I spent Sunday and Monday tasting/evaluating way too many delicious coffee drinks...I was spun out and borderline-ill from the milk-based drinks by the end of each day.

Yesterday I cupped a few sample and trial roasts of new-crop Central American Coffees.

Today, I am bumming around and home, and am about to brew some La Tortuga, Hondura on the Eva Solo.