what are you eating today?

soepom

It's traditional Japanese green tea I believe. They put the powder in a cup/bowl with some hot water and they whisk it with a bamboo whisk and you drink it kinda foamy.

Real nice green tea taste and good for the body. :D

I don't get this, is it actual tea leaves ground really finely or something? Do you mix milk with it and that produces the foam or where does that come from?

Hmm, well I'm not exactly sure how the powder is made, it differs store to store/tea house to tea house. But yes, it is generally somehow derived from tea leaves, sometimes ground, and sometimes they process it into a very fine powder.

You just add hot water and stir it very quickly, but you only add a little bit of hot water. Thus making the tea more viscous(sticky) and the air can get trapped and make foam.

No milk is involved.

last night, my j beezy made me some foccacias:

ham and pepper jack:

6613_766401323600_15904009_43570932_7874177_n.jpg

ham. pepper jack, olives, and jalapeno foccacia, warmed over again for lunch today with a salad of greens topped with feta cubes, french olives, tomato, onion, green pepper, cucumbers, roasted and marinated red and yellow bell peppers, and an oregano/mint vinaigrette: (I make the salads, she makes the baked goods)

6613_766401318610_15904009_43570931_3246192_n.jpg

6613_766401333580_15904009_43570934_4796746_n.jpg

Tonight, I was craving some Spaghetti Napolitan, so I made some.

6613_766401328590_15904009_43570933_1551726_n.jpg

pork tacos and steak tacos ..

28450327.jpg

same place, another day

fish tacos and steak tacos

53675207.jpg

i love this place!

beef brisket dip

68865428.jpg

not as good as that one ^^

philly cheese steak

38608098.jpg

always eating this ...

23746884.jpg

chicken ceasar wrap ..

26059915.jpg

cooking shrimp and scallops right now. pictures to come...

made a burrito pie/mexican lasagna...

wanted it to look like this:

16881.jpg

but, ended up lookin like a straight up casserole/lasagna than a 'pie'

cheese looks gross and melted wierd (fake cheese concept) but it still tasted real good. ground beef, olives, beans, green chiles, layered tortillas, tomatoes, onions, served with side of avocado salad.

p1000345q.jpg

forgot to top with cilantro though, oh well.. maybe next time try REAL cheddar/colby jack

Whew, so now that my trip to Taiwan is winding down I have more time to upload pictures of delicious food.

My uncle is part of the Taiwanese "Michelin" Foodies. Which is not really the Michelin that most of us food-lovers know. But regardless, the food was pretty good and some cool stuff I've never eaten before. Photos and erotic descriptions below.

Special Tofu with miniature ground fish and meat marinated in sauce. Pic is a little bad, because I was starving...haha

PICT6091.jpg

Sashimi, nothing special. But the things on the side, the rolls, are cucumber and black fish in a sushi roll.

PICT6096.jpg

Special White Whiskered Shrimp found only in Hua Lian(A province in Taiwan). Not cooked any particularly special way because it is meant to be eaten relatively plan to taste the flavor of the shrimp itself.

PICT6100.jpg

This was a platter of assorted foodstuffs. First up is a bunch of tiny fried shrimp. Second up is a sort of dumpling. I dunno the name in english, but it's basically a slightly crispy bread with vegetables and onions inside. Last is a tiny kumquat. Which is well...a kumquat.

PICT6101.jpg

Abalone. Not much to explain here.

PICT6106.jpg

Close up.

PICT6107.jpg

This is an Asian favorite. Duck x Taro concept. Usually the way it is prepared is the duck is sliced fairly thickly and the bottom is a chunk of mashed taro, then the whole thing is fried and eaten with a sweet and sour sauce. However, this chef decided to do something special. He stewed the duck and fried the taro separately, the taro was also in whole pieces, not ground or mashed. SHIT WAS FUCKING DELICIOUS

PICT6108.jpg

This is a relatively special dish as well. It is bamboo shoots. But the bamboo is grown different from normal bamboo. The bamboo is nurtured with a fertilizer of rotten milk...it is grown by the chef himself using his friends(a farmer) leftover milk. It is then stewed in normal water and the flavor of the bamboo makes the soup very nice and light. It tastes much smoother than normal bamboo shoot.

PICT6110.jpg

This shit is a one way ticket to become fat. It's all the fattest parts of a chicken and a pig...boiled in super intense heat until everything melts except for some very hard bones. The mixture is then cooled and refrigerated and the glutton from the tendons and such will make it a kind of jelly. It is then cut into tiny cubes and deep fried. Some chefs will coat it in some starch like a french fry, but this chef prefers to keep it as goopy as possible.

PICT6111.jpg

The dessert was also particularly good. It was almond jello with redbean soup. The redbeans were prepared in a way I've never heard of, but I'll save the details since I felt I've written enough, unless you guys are interested.

PICT6112.jpg

YUP YUP YUP. I'll put more photos up later. Enjoy.

cross post from scott m's thread

tweeds and I were talking about this latticed asparagus thing I had, and I mentioned wanting to remake it in zucchini and eggplant.. naturally it struck me it'd be a good presentation for ratatouille, so I made a deconstructed/reconstructed ratatouille, within the latticework is simmered ratatouille (cauliflower, broccoli, green pepper, celery splits, champignons, roma tomatoes, onions, lots of garlic and herbs) and then the liquid tomato portion formed the bed. Topped with bits of freshly made pecorino romano tuilles.

... yes, I know I am insane and fritter away my free time.

6613_767055327970_15904009_43603442_4424396_n.jpg

close up on a romano tuille and the sauce:

6613_767055332960_15904009_43603443_267871_n.jpg