what are you eating today?

soepom

This wkend in Madison Sq park is the BBQ festival. Lots of spots from all over the south and other points bbq. Plates are usually $7 a pop. Worth it all the times i went.

http://bigapplebbq.org/index.php?s=pitmasters

i've always been meaning to go, but i've heard it's usually a NE frat-boy shitshow... will i be able to get food w/o waiting in line for 45 minutes?

Went 2 years ago and found it terrible. Shit is crowded as hell and wait times were awful. Admittedly the food is good but I don't want to line up a half hour for a pulled pork sandwich, then another half hour for some ribs, then another half hour for a beer. Also some popular items get sold out by early afternoon. If you've got 5+ ppl and send everyone out for diff items to divvy up the waiting it might not be so bad.

Half the ppl at this thing are not there to eat. They're there because "lol nyc bbq is such an ironically cultured event I gotta go take pics and then blog about it." I also sound angry because it was pushing 100 degrees the day I went and shit was unbearable.

Haha, I just went to Trader Joe's hoping they would have dried mangosteen. They ended up having freeze-dried mangosteen only :( (I prefer chewy so I did not cop).

Ended up not being able to decide on regular food for today and decided it was a good idea to eat fruits and natural foods only as I am dosing today. So I got:

Chocolate Almond Milk

Turkish Smyrna Figs

Medjool Dates

Dried Dragonfruit

A Papaya

Bananas

Dried Hibiscus Flowers

Masala Burgers

i've always been meaning to go, but i've heard it's usually a NE frat-boy shitshow... will i be able to get food w/o waiting in line for 45 minutes?

Waits can be long, go early (I.E right at the start) and you're good. As far as the fratboy shit show, I dont let things like that bother me.

...If you've got 5+ ppl and send everyone out for diff items to divvy up the waiting it might not be so bad.

Half the ppl at this thing are not there to eat. They're there because "lol nyc bbq is such an ironically cultured event I gotta go take pics and then blog about it." .....

Going with a group makes it a lot easier and if you go with 5, the speed pass is $20 a person. I dont know about the people going for irony. With people living here from all over the country, I kinda felt like most people who were willing to suffer the wait and crowds, genuinely wanted to eat the food or get a taste of home.

The fest may be good, but comparing it to bbq from the south or west (or a bbq fest IN the south or west) is like comparing Old Navy jeans to Samurai denim.

Most of the vendors come from the south. If it was just the NY bbq places it would be the worst. This is not going to compare to living in the south or any other place that has good bbq. For a price, you're getting the oppertunity to have good bbq from people who know what they are doing. Again this comes at a price both monitarily and physically.

Also, while I know this is SUFU, the denim analogy is gay.

Half the ppl at this thing are not there to eat. They're there because "lol nyc bbq is such an ironically cultured event I gotta go take pics and then blog about it." I also sound angry because it was pushing 100 degrees the day I went and shit was unbearable.

its shit like this that makes me wanna up and hightail out of this fuckin city. i despise these types.

Batter and fries is a no-no. They need to have been blanched first.
Truth. Blanching makes the center nice and fluffy.

Word, was gonna say the same but realized the thread had advanced 2 pages ahead already. Fuck some batter, but I can tell those had been fried only once just by the color, and they're sopping with oil. Low heat fry for 10 minutes, drip dry for 10 minutes, high heat fry for just a little bit, you good.

you know i still love this thread even though i'm not here often anymore...

starting with the most recent:

cooked this myself yesterday, and quite proud of it! 5 hours later...

img0856m.jpg

avocado, alfafa with japanese dressing and mustard, wrapped in smoked salmon. ready-made escargot...

img0862.jpg

made my own mash and oxtail stew! probably wouldn't do this again. still, it was great satisfaction.

img0860y.jpg

stuff my mum cooked:

img0777j.jpg

img0729p.jpg

pink-themed picnic i put together:

img0682p.jpg

king and queen of fruits

img0661v.jpg