what are you eating today?

soepom

I mean, I can feel ya on the cheese bit, but dogg, I needed something else on that shit, like I said, katzs b slippin'

As for the black cherry, I mean it's legit and all, but I don't think I can ever turn my back on a cream soda, been sippin' on that since 94 son.

Why haven't you taken me out on a dinner date yet anyways? Cheap bastid.

i'm jewish so i prolly wont get past the queso, but i'll let the cream soda slide. as long as you're not drinking DB's cel-ray we'll be fine.

has anybody here been to moto? im going to be in chicago in a few weeks and might go there. not sure yet about 10 vs 20 courses.

also any other chicago restaurant recommendations? i don't know much about the city so obvious stuff is ok too.

I was thinking about moto when I was there last dec. there were alot of mixed reviews so I tried to get a reservation in Alinea, but it was not open and you should probably try to get a reservation ASAP.

I ended up going to L2O and it was pretty damn good

yesterday..

reppin' that spicy chicken. veggie girlfriend thought she was up to finally having one for the first time in 5 years. she wasnt..

3578870319_1d0ba03c75_o.jpg

made up for it with gouda, brie, and bordeaux ..

3578870321_ea2a082276_o.jpg

has anybody here been to moto? im going to be in chicago in a few weeks and might go there. not sure yet about 10 vs 20 courses.

also any other chicago restaurant recommendations? i don't know much about the city so obvious stuff is ok too.

I haven't been, but the owner has opened a similar restaurant called (surprise) OTOM. Don't know what it's like as far as reviews go, but I think the food is similar.

As for Alinea, again I haven't been but one of my classmates went and supposedly it was insanely awesome. I think the cheapest meal is like $110 a person sans drink, tax, and tip (and supposedly you are supposed to tip more than 20%). Also, don't forget about Chicago's great 10.25% sales tax...that shit adds up quick.

For more peasant food, Oysy is not bad for sushi (for what you pay for) The prices are decent and not much of a wait for smaller parties. Gibson's stakehouse is supposed to be one of the best in the country, but I've heard Morton's is better.

Also, if you want the everyday food, check out the Superjetset thread titled "best, cheap ethnic food in Chicago." I just updated the Chicago list within the past week or so and many other people have posted some great recommendations.

259fhb6.jpg

Crab Salad with Orange and Avocado

2s6vxpc.jpg

Frisée Salad with Panroasted Goose Liver and Raspberry Dressing

dq1web.jpg

Sea Urchin Spaghetti with Spicy Zucchini

zspoo9.jpg

Tagliolini with Spiny Lobster

6r5yt2.jpg

Braised Veal Cheek with Truffle Mash Potatoes

2mxemp0.jpg

Molten Lava Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Ice Cream

1joq40.jpg

Fresh Strawberries with Lemon Sorbet

dinner yesterday with a couple of friends3580898204_1b3169fc04_o.jpg

bread and garlic

3580086053_ccbe1af689_o.jpg

3580898524_9ddc6e74fe_o.jpg

balsamic egg spinach salad

3580898330_0f1e5144cc_o.jpg

bone marrow with parsley salad

3580086657_42976c604a_o.jpg

steak tartare

3580087057_aeb8695e26_o.jpg

rack of lamb

3580086795_80c646f61c_o.jpg

mash potato and rocket salad

3580086913_70e6fb9b67_o.jpg

cream corn

3580899170_70319c7977_o.jpg

ice cream sandwich

salty caremel ice cream and macadamia biscuit

3580087271_897cdcf8b8_o.jpg

flourless chocolate cake with sour cream

Is this in singapore kit? I could destroy this in seconds

On a side note, has anyone been to WD-50 in NY?

I went a while ago and was disappointed. However it seems like I was there on an off day because everybody else I know who has been there really enjoyed it. Online reviews are a mixed bag, but they seem to always be for high-end restaurants, so I don't pay much attention to them.

Some dishes were absolutely fantastic, others were bland or just combinations that I didn't enjoy. Nothing was genuinely bad, but at $250 a person I expected more.

The main reason I want to go to moto is because I really want to like molecular gastronomy, but it hasn't really blown me away so far.

I went a while ago and was disappointed. However it seems like I was there on an off day because everybody else I know who has been there really enjoyed it. Online reviews are a mixed bag, but they seem to always be for high-end restaurants, so I don't pay much attention to them.

Some dishes were absolutely fantastic, others were bland or just combinations that I didn't enjoy. Nothing was genuinely bad, but at $250 a person I expected more.

The main reason I want to go to moto is because I really want to like molecular gastronomy, but it hasn't really blown me away so far.

$250 a pop? Holy shit thats expensive. Ive heard good things about the desserts so if I go thats all I'll be having. Did you try getting a reservation at alinea?

L2O uses some molecular gastronomy but most of the strictly molecular gastronomy(usually amuse bouches) are very similar to past season El Bulli from what Ive seen.

^^ They have a dessert tasting menu that is pretty good value for sampling a lot of the cool techniques they use.

I feel like nobody really goes to WD-50 for or any of these places for the food. It's an experience for sure but if you told me that's the only kind of cooking I could eat for the rest of my life I would be upset, even if price was no object.

Seriously using a sex metaphor molecular gastro food is for the ppl who've been around the block so many times (or at least wish to give that impression) that they need cirque du soleil type shit combined zero-g and a whale foreskin condom just to bust a nut. It seems real frilly to me, but I'm just not bored with old fashioned fucking yet.

^I dont disagree, but I think there is a very thin line between the very good MG restaurants, and the very bad. Similar to the opportunity pull/push concept, the MG restaurants with less "direction" take whatever MG techniques are available in the market, and try to force it into whatever dishes they think would work, More and more places that are jumping on this MG bandwagon are doing exactly that, they have so much figuring out to do that they tend to sacrifice how a dish tastes for the excitement of providing something witty or new.

The guys at the top know exactly what they want to do, whether its to isolate flavors or deconstruct a dish, they know that ultimately these MG techniques are merely tools and will not compromise how a dish tastes, so when you go to places like these you get both the experience that comes with trying MG, without any compromise in taste. I mean, there must be a reason why the top 2 restaurants in the world since 2005 pride themselves in molecular gastronomy

^I dont disagree, but I think there is a very thin line between the very good MG restaurants, and the very bad. Similar to the opportunity pull/push concept, the MG restaurants with less "direction" take whatever MG techniques are available in the market, and try to force it into whatever dishes they think would work, More and more places that are jumping on this MG bandwagon are doing exactly that, they have so much figuring out to do that they tend to sacrifice how a dish tastes for the excitement of providing something witty or new.

Totally agree. I feel like too many of these places try to force perfectly good ingredients down the MG road. Why ruin a perfectly good piece of foie gras by pureeing it, adding gelatin/bonding agent and making into a shape of dog poop, I looking at you WD50! Then you have places like Nihonryori Ryugin who take the route of maximizing the potential of ingredients.

made tacos again tonight.

ground beef.

yesyes1.png

black beans.

yesb.png

homemade salsa. had limited supply of peppers so i loaded it with incredibly hot concentrated habanero sauce.

yesyesyes.png

cheese blend is underneath all the other stuff.

yesyesyesyes.png

so good!

yesyesyesyesyesyes.png

also made two hardshells with sourcream.

yesyesyesyesyes.png

Totally agree. I feel like too many of these places try to force perfectly good ingredients down the MG road. Why ruin a perfectly good piece of foie gras by pureeing it, adding gelatin/bonding agent and making into a shape of dog poop, I looking at you WD50! Then you have places like Nihonryori Ryugin who take the route of maximizing the potential of ingredients.

There is absolutely a very thin line. This can be seen by the fact that even top MG chefs such as Wylie (the only one whose MG tasting menu I've had) and Homaro have great and not so great dishes (though which is which depends on who's eating). If I had to go with one style of food for the rest of my life, it certainly wouldn't be MG (actually, I'd probably go with Greek/Turkish/Lebanese/Egyptian, but that's a personal thing), but it's an experience that nobody should miss. I think that as the techniques become more refined, more 'standard' chefs will include them on their menus in less shocking ways.

The 250 per person at WD-50 was with drinks. The tasting menu was 150 I think. My dad had the wine pairings, I didn't. After the tip it came out to about $500.

I dont really think wylie can be considered a top MG chef. I know it was a long time ago but I remember watching him cook on Iron chef and thinking "Wow this guy has absolutely no direction in his cooking". He just uses the techniques so much that he has become the "MG guy", plus he looks like a giant baby

The Adrias, Heston Blumenthal, Achatz, Aduriz, Arzaks are the names to be mentioned, but Im sure its inevitable that there are several dishes are going to be average in a 20+ course menu, just that the great ones are the ones you remember forever. I got a reservation at per se in July so Im pretty stoked. Might pop by WD50 if Im not too broke