what are you eating today?

soepom

Imagine having to pay this for all your fruit, or more.

I pay something like $3 for a single grapefruit, $3 for shitty apples, $10-20 for a little pack of cherries or grapes, I was eating these pretty good $7 tangerines this winter, avocadoes are $5 each, and a good nashi pear is about $5....

where do you live? i can't imagine paying 7$ for a tangerine or $5 dollars for an avocado, that's not normal.

found out I didn't have tortillas, so I just made a little fry up. SOme eggs that I fucked up again (don't hate), some hash browns, bacon, blistered some cherry tomatoes in the bacon grease with some cracked pepper, some fresh guacamole, and some onions and cilantro

i4h2pw.jpg

edit: my girlfriend just walked in with fresh tortillas -_-

before i even read the text about that pic, i immediate thought you need to step you egg game up. i think the nigga is overrated, but this is a good how-to...

dU_B3QNu_Ks

I can cook eggs (I'm not a terrible cook), I just get incredibly indecisive at the moment i put them in the pan and can't decide if I'm gonna scramble, or make an omelette, and I end up with something like above.. :( There were 4 eggs in that pic, the top was 2 eggs overdone and the bottom was 2 eggs nicely done (no vis) haha

Gordon Ramsey is incredibly overrated as a chef. But he's a celebrity because of his personality, and I can understand that (feel the same way about Jamie Oliver and the rest of em).

I would put cream and not butter in there and put it in baine marie rather than direct heat, but the most important part of scrambled egg making is there: on and off the heat, never stop stirring. I made some baller ones this morning for a little breakfast burrito with some green chile, homemade salsa, sausage and some fried potatoes. Should have taken a picture, but I'm useless at remembering to do that stuff...

Later today, my friend is making some gnocchi and i'm busting out that homemade pesto. dead easy, dead tasty.

i only recognize ipuddo!! youre in ny right now? Are those other ramen places around st marks?

was in japan for about a week, two weeks ago. but yeah ippudo is pretty fuckin solid.

How'd u get into Ichiran?

not sure what you mean. they're a fairly large chain all over tokyo, you can just walk right in like anywhere else

^Hey yo, my mom actually booked a meal for her and I after finals are over(fuck college) at his restaurant in LA.

spend your money elsewhere. you'll get more bang for your buck

The one at The London?

Never been, but I've heard good things. In general, if you go to one of his starred ones, the quality is what you'd expect. I hear some of his smaller ones, they use a lot of preprepared stuff shipped out from central catering (think this was for the gastropubs in London). But in general, dude is smart and knows to protect his brand. You'll have a good dining experience. Not the most innovative stuff, but it will be tasty.

Always go with local tacos over Dominos. Always.

found out I didn't have tortillas, so I just made a little fry up. SOme eggs that I fucked up again (don't hate), some hash browns, bacon, blistered some cherry tomatoes in the bacon grease with some cracked pepper, some fresh guacamole, and some onions and cilantro

i4h2pw.jpg

edit: my girlfriend just walked in with fresh tortillas -_-

asian bacon is so weird. or bacon they get in asia. can never get it crispy enough. beats the sausage that is a hot dog though

Fucking props for being able to make them drunk, and even take a picture.

lol always a stumble to the freezer microwave defrost throw on the george foreman take pic with iphone cause i think sufu should see it concept.

Imagine having to pay this for all your fruit, or more.

I pay something like $3 for a single grapefruit, $3 for shitty apples, $10-20 for a little pack of cherries or grapes, I was eating these pretty good $7 tangerines this winter, avocadoes are $5 each, and a good nashi pear is about $5....

that's crazy fruit prices...aren't there cheap china fuji apples anywhere?

i snack on pink ladies from the corner store every so often and it all works out to super cheap anyway.

yeah, there's nothing. It's to the point that Korea probably has the worst food amongst any developed nation, and even Korean food is better outside of Korea.

Korean people get all heated when I say that, but I will stand by it til they improve. We have so little in the way of fruits and veggies here (quantity is not variety) and they're all the same exact type, for example there is only one type of onion, one type of potato, one type of slicing tomato and it's the most god forsaken tomato variety ever, one type of apple, etc, it's ridiculous. All of the varities of vegetables/fruits here are not well suited to anything but Korean cuisine.

Limes are not available here at all, there's just a lot that isn't here.

Koreans are rabid about having to know where their food comes from, all of the food here has it's country of origin listed for each ingredient and then in restaurants the meat and rice has to be identified with a sign on the wall too. It's half because Koreans think the US is out to kill them with mad cow disease (byproduct of a Korean media scare a couple years ago) and then some myths they've conjured up about Chinese produce. China btw produces a lot of frozen veggies for Korea that are pretty good and otherwise unavailable...

Anyhow, fruits and veggies have to be domestic, or from America for citrus and cherries, kiwis from NZ, grapes can be from the US, and exotic fruits from Thailand or Taiwan. Pretty stupid, there's no quality and the prices are ridiculous.

It's really too bad, because they're all just living in the dark here when it comes to food, and by the time they get out in the world and try other stuff, they don't even have the kind of palate to want to demand better in their own country, and the cycle continues on really slowly.

me too... oh wait, too late. Yeah, the real shame is that the whole country may go up in nuclear flames and the people won't have eaten any really good food.

Asian people in general like food, the Japanese next door have this thriving food culture that is nearing perfection, so I don't know why Koreans haven't stepped their game up, their wallets can support it now... restaurants are all junk here, no foreign foods are made properly (they can't even do very good Italian, which I consider basic eating anywhere, because there are no fresh tomatoes suitable for Italian!)

i never really payed attention to food in korea but now i do realize that i'd been eating toast and eggs almost every meal. or delivered ramen/those black noodles (chajangmyun?) or cereal. on the fruits side though, i do remember my mom once bought some really really good strawberries from some market or something. that was the only food that really ever stood out from my time there.

me too... oh wait, too late. Yeah, the real shame is that the whole country may go up in nuclear flames and the people won't have eaten any really good food.

Asian people in general like food, the Japanese next door have this thriving food culture that is nearing perfection, so I don't know why Koreans haven't stepped their game up, their wallets can support it now... restaurants are all junk here, no foreign foods are made properly (they can't even do very good Italian, which I consider basic eating anywhere, because there are no fresh tomatoes suitable for Italian!)

From what one of my korean friends tells me, being a chef is looked down upon in Korea. So you're not gonna have a Thomas Keller wannabe in Korea pushing food next level. Also food is looked at as a business with koreans instead of an art form, hence why when one Korean dude does well with a say frozen yogurt shop, 500 all of a sudden pop up.

yeah, completely true. Those are the more modern facets, and the older viewpoint is that 60 years ago, food was something you were lucky to have and you should eat as much of it as possible, with no regard for taste or whatever it was.

Korean food is in the group of poorer ethnic foods where meat is overspiced/overmarinated/overseasoned to compensate for a lack of quality in the meat itself, storage practices, etc.

Right now, as with everything else, Korean food culture is still just really similar to Japan 25 years ago, back when you could have your 'Italian' restaurant, change the flag outside to a French one, and people would just follow along. The sadder part about the Korean side of things though is that logistics have changed over 25 years and it's no problem for Koreans to import whatever they want, it's just a matter of nobody at the controls listening to the people. Proper cheese and yogurt were not permitted for import until very recently, I've talked about that here before.

Plus, there's a bunch of fruits/veggies taht are commonly available here that would be considered irrelevant to Korean ethnic cuisine (tomatoes, most all fruits, celery, bell peppers) but they are not suitable for the kinds of cuisines that they are staples of, so someone is fucking up. Broccoli, those strawberries, the cherry tomatoes (as a fruit only) are pretty good for, but ehhh..... also, there is no 'premium level' here, you go anywhere and it's all pretty much the same. The best department stores sell nothing too different if at all, than the markets down the street, or Costco.

The highest-rated restaurants in Korea (ones where you can still drop several bills) are supplied with produce and meat that is no better than you can buy yourself anywhere, and often times places are using stuff from Costco, which should really say something...

You come to Korea, you eat enough of the 'foreign food' and you realize Korean people are trying to tell you 'you come to Korea? you eat korea food asshole!' ... at least how I feel about it.

Someday, there will be a bunch of good looking celebrity chefs who push food culture in a better direction and maybe even make some progress with ethnic Korean food (right now a lot of that is the responsbility of foreign-based Korean restaurants) but it's pretty grim right now, and has been for years.