The Flight Jacket Thread

still

Hi,

is anyone familiar with the RealMcCoy B-10s?

I read that they are a bit longer?

I have a Buzz Rickson one in 42. It's supernice. However, because it's so short with 63 cm (yes, it's historically correct) I've only worn at few times. It's too cold. And when it's warm it's too warm with the alpaca lining. Quite a shame.

So I'm wondering if the RMC one might be an alternative.

I've also heard that Eastman has a long version.

I'm 1.84m, about 6 feet.

Are the A-2s generally similarly short cut?

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked this flying shirt/jacket up from Ebay. I'm hoping some of you guys will know something more about the model. From what research I've done, it's a mid/post WW2 USAAF shirt but from what i've read it seems to be missing from the catalogues of that time.

I didn't pay a huge amount of money for it but if anyone knows how much this sort of thing could be worth it'd be very helpful.

R0022831.jpg

R0022825.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I'm about to receive this bad boy. I've got some questions regarding sleeves repair. How would you do it, knowing the original cotton fabric is quite fragile when ripped?

Peice of strong material b/ lining and cotton fabric then Zig-zag with olive drab matching thread to close the wound?

1521275-15.jpg

1521275-14.jpg

1521275.jpg

Just picked this flying shirt/jacket up from Ebay. I'm hoping some of you guys will know something more about the model. From what research I've done, it's a mid/post WW2 USAAF shirt but from what i've read it seems to be missing from the catalogues of that time.

I didn't pay a huge amount of money for it but if anyone knows how much this sort of thing could be worth it'd be very helpful.

According to a french forum, it's a post-WW2 piece. Not much evidence of use, except this picture of 36th squadron during Korea war:

7055832861_b8d6b222aa_b_d.jpg

Edited by jean-claude

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I mean, he didn't get to wear it very long. Just sayin'.

kennedy's g-1 flight jacket... recently sold for $570k

look at that condition!

V5jY2o4.jpgFSbQRec.jpg

Does anyone know where I can get a khaki Bomber jacket in a 46-48 Tall ? or an XXL-Tall, XXL-Long ??

I have a vintage Schott B-3 in Khaki with the Golden shearling collar in a XL LONG, and it's very small and the sleeves and body fit much more like a standard-to-small XL:

2lkus10.jpg

I think this AERO linked earlier in the thread wouyld be great, but they don't offer tall sizes:

66lzl3.jpg

If anyone knows where to find a similar bomber with the pale color, and pale shearling neck, in tall-long sizes, please link it up!

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting.

After a few years of waiting I finally have a Good Wear. A russet horsehide Dubow 20960. Picked it up on ebay and it's a little infamous. The first owner gave it a hot water treatment and shrank it down 2 sizes. They told John it happened in a rain storm and John took it back, sight unseen and replaced it for them. Well it got sold on again and then put up for auction a few weeks back where I won it. I love it's well worn look. I've given it a good feeding and now I'll just let it age naturally. Will post pictures soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After many years of humming and hawing... should I get this, should i get that,  do I like this better, so I like that better, Do I need any more jackets, can I afford any more jackets... will my wife kill me? Will my kids go shoeless...

I've finally picked up a pretty cheap G-1 off ebay. It's not arrived as yet but i'm already aware from the sellers pics & listing that there's no inner label and the zip needs some attention. It will be getting a clean & conditioning treatment when I get it so i'll post up befores & afters.

I have a very limited knowledge of these things but a 'hunch' makes me think it's probably early to mid-60's.

With the lack of makers label etc, is there any way of dating the jacket and potentially identifying the manufacturer with little tell-tale details here & there?

$T2eC16JHJGYE9nooiNjGBRzvphPMu!~~60_3.JP

Edited by Mr Black

Can you send a shot of the zipper pull? Also is there a painted USN on the back collar? if it has no paperclip zipper pull, and it doesn't have a usn stencil punch in the wind flap, it's a "D" model or earlier. Also there may be another tag under the pocket flap which would give additional infirmation.

Edited by jake431