The Flight Jacket Thread

still

thanks Heech.it amazes me how big the jacket still looks in the pictures.wearing it feels a lot trimmer.i tried on a 40 before and there was no way to move in it.

interested in a sz 44 in vgc?

No more flight jackets for me, especially with mouton collars. I have my GW M-422, and a recent bargain of a new BR 1942 pattern blue Navy deck jacket. (..although may save up for a BR L-2 next year.... )

Good luck with the sale..

i wore a B-10 through the whole winter,its allright for mid-european conditions,only when riding my Vespa i had to wear a Marmot precip-jacket over it.its not a B-3,N-1 0r N-2,these are definetly warmer.i own some sort of B-3 and that is too warm for my liking-keeps you very warm outside,but as soon you walk into a shop you will sweat your ass off.

I am looking around for an A-1. There seems to be very little information on them. Good Wear used to offer A-1, but it is no longer on their website. The old A-1 pictures that I have from Good Wear look very good.

Are there other A-1 makers that you would suggest or should I just email Good Wear to see if they can still make an A-1?

I am looking around for an A-1. There seems to be very little information on them. Good Wear used to offer A-1, but it is no longer on their website. The old A-1 pictures that I have from Good Wear look very good.

Are there other A-1 makers that you would suggest or should I just email Good Wear to see if they can still make an A-1?

I've found that Good Wear is about as good as it gets for A-1s. E-mail or call John tell him that i sent ya.

• 3 weeks later...

looks great Mich, where did you cop it?

almost decided on my aero leather A-2 jacket; natural vintage horsehide seal brown ; knits will be either dark brown or rust colored! Im leaning towards the rust colored knits but worry a bit it might be too 'loud'.

looks great Mich, where did you cop it?

Thanks, got it through HPA.

almost decided on my aero leather A-2 jacket; natural vintage horsehide seal brown ; knits will be either dark brown or rust colored! Im leaning towards the rust colored knits but worry a bit it might be too 'loud'.

I always love the comination of brown horsehide with rust coloured knits, definitely not too loud!

Some nylon love to revive the thread, Buzz Rickson L-2A

dsc2042w.jpg

dsc2043w.jpg

Thanks for the pics, Mich. Always wanted to know how the L-2 jackets fit (VERY short for me I think). Do you know why the sleeve decal isnt the same as the regular USAF, it looks more like the stamp normal printed on the inside of the jacket. Great fit on you btw. Repped !

Thanks for the pics, Mich. Always wanted to know how the L-2 jackets fit (VERY short for me I think). Do you know why the sleeve decal isnt the same as the regular USAF, it looks more like the stamp normal printed on the inside of the jacket. Great fit on you btw. Repped !

Thanks, the L-2 does fit pretty short but not nearly as short as i feared.

I was warned beforehand that they were extremely short, and my upper body is pretty long, so i was expecting the worst.

Instead i wound up finding the lenght pretty much perfect, it all depends on the sizing i guess.

If i would have gone with a 38 instead of a 40 i'm afraid the lenght and sleeves would have been too short.

I've read some comments on the decal on the vintage leather jacket forum, originally the L-2A should have the multi coloured decal like other nylon flightjackets.

The skeleton decal like mine has used to be stamped on after the original was washed out.

Maybe Buzz used a jacket with a later stamped on decal as their example to reproduce the L2-A, or they thought it just looked better.

Don't really mind as i like it a lot, it's a little more understated and still could have been on a real period time L2-A

Nice L-2. Don't own any original L-2's myself but have tried on few originals in my size and they all fit very much like your Buzz. The white out line stencil is rather unusual but is totally accurate. I've seen that same white outline star stamped on earlier A-2 jackets as well but with the words Army Air Forces.

Thanks, the L-2 does fit pretty short but not nearly as short as i feared.

I was warned beforehand that they were extremely short, and my upper body is pretty long, so i was expecting the worst.

Instead i wound up finding the lenght pretty much perfect, it all depends on the sizing i guess.

If i would have gone with a 38 instead of a 40 i'm afraid the lenght and sleeves would have been too short.

I've read some comments on the decal on the vintage leather jacket forum, originally the L-2A should have the multi coloured decal like other nylon flightjackets.

The skeleton decal like mine has used to be stamped on after the original was washed out.

Maybe Buzz used a jacket with a later stamped on decal as their example to reproduce the L2-A, or they thought it just looked better.

Don't really mind as i like it a lot, it's a little more understated and still could have been on a real period time L2-A

The white out line stencil is rather unusual but is totally accurate. I've seen that same white outline star stamped on earlier A-2 jackets as well but with the words Army Air Forces.

That's very well possible, don't know when exactly they changed from Army Air Forces to Air Forces.

For a '50-s jacket i think USAF should be correct.

i just got a Korean-made Pack-In leather A-2 jacket, excellent condition. fake sherpa lining. the style is 674SL. this thing just reeks of quality , and the YKK zipper is fine. it almost seems unworn, all of the snaps still have the paint unscratched, and the leather is not cracked, or fucked up in any way. lining and cuffs are like new... fits like a dream, all for $20...does anyone know anything about this jacket, and how rare these might be? i love this damn thing.

Lost Worlds has a devoted fan base. Their A-2's aren't authentic to WW2 spec, despite their claims to the contrary - the leather is WAY too thick, almost 4 oz. But they are made out of motorcycle grade horse hide, thicker than you can believe. They are also chrome tanned, I believe, and the finish wears accordingly, sometimes the underside can have a grayish cast to it. Stu's awfully prickly, and doesn't much like, well, just about anything. I've heard stories he's turned down customers who have bought jackets from companies he doesn't like/respect (Eastman, Real McCoys, Aero), that is when people have made the mistake to admit to such purchases to his face. He's like the soup nazi, but for leather.

anyone have any experience with Lost Worlds A-2 jackets?

any input appreciated

thanks

i have an LW A-1. if you're looking at horsehide, be prepared for a battle. my jacket's over 2 years old, and it still creaks like your grandpa's joints.

the fit is true to size. the fit and finish is high quality. 2 years and beyond a little patina, this jacket still looks brand new. i suspect future Buenos will have a go at this jacket.

very nice eddie. now, does anyone have info on old PACK-IN A2 jackets? c'mon this is sufu! anyways, enough of my blithering and blathering, i found a site that has my EXACT jacket, in the same condition. the only difference is that my size tag says '10' instead of '46'. dude here is selling em' for 150 bucks. i got mine for $20, here's some pics:

93469471.jpg

70769301.jpg

here's all the info they provided: quote from seller

Vintage PACK-IN Style #674SM Sherpa Lined, Cowhide Leather A-2 Flight Jacket.

In AMAZING Vintage Condition.. You will be proud to own it! Manufactured from 100% Genuine Cowhide Leather that is sturdy, stylish & comfortable. A FANTASTIC look, and a popular vintage style. Honestly, this one is WAY COOLER than our photos!

Additional Details.. SELDOM WORN and it shows! One piece back. Heavy duty brass zipper. Exterior has rich dark brown coloring and a cool surface grain with superficial distressing that really adds to the look. Worsted wool cuffs and waistband in great condition. Soft and warm sherpa lining in fantastic shape. Shoulder epaulets. Tool pocket on left arm.

the 'superficial distressing' is from natural wear, no treatments funny stuff was done to the leather. i wore it as much as i could last week while it was still cool at nights, and i hated to take it off. i got a new compliment every day, and the funny''what u know about that?'' looks i got from the older white men in town let me know i was really onto something;)