The Flight Jacket Thread

still

AF- as much as I would like to get myself something from good wear, i'm just not looking to spend $1,000. What would you suggest that is the best bang for the buck while not sacrificing TOO much in authenticity?

McCoys and Aeros are right about there as far as price.

Have you looked at Flight Suits/Gibson Barnes?

McCoys and Aeros are right about there as far as price.

Have you looked at Flight Suits/Gibson Barnes?

What's an Aero A2 go for $6-700? They aren't super authentic but are good looking jackets and good quality. They also have used ones for sale at the site a lot.

What's an Aero A2 go for $6-700? They aren't super authentic but are good looking jackets and good quality. They also have used ones for sale at the site a lot.

Yeah, you cant beat the Aero sale section on the UK site, or the used section for that matter. The jackets can be half price or less, which is a great discount for such good quality.

Eastman's reissue dept (sale) is expensive in comparison.

Thanks everybody for their responses! I'm thinking about getting one from aero, it'll come out to around 600 if i buy a new one. Should I just get my regular suit size for this?

Just my opinion, but with flight jackets, and A-2's in particular, it's communicating the measurements/requirements you think you need between you and the chaps at Aero.

I originally had a HH A-2 in a 46" (although I'm usually a 42-44"), thinking that it would solve all my problems and I could wear a sweater underneath, but it was massive! I soon realised that each A-2 contract/maker has a different cut, so it took me three attempts to get the right one! Some have a shorter body, some shorter arms or worse, narrow shoulders. I dont want to put you off, but get your measurements exact before you start your journey.

BTW, you cant beat a Goodwear!

haha thanks man, i'll definitely start contacting aero about sizing and even the different leathers, i can't tell which hide looks like what from their options!! like I said before, I'd love to get me a goodwear but that'll be another 300-400 i think... and im already pushing it with an aero lol

hows the exchange policy with Aero Leather in case of the jacket fitting too small/big? Do people who own a A-2 from Aero had to size up one compared to their usual shirt/jacket size?

HI Slab,

I have bought 2 jackets from Aero, 1 A2 " real deal" and 1 FQHH Highwayman...Aero is just great...

The first FQHH HWM they sent me was too big, they just made me a new one within a week...top notch...

If you have questions you know where to contact me

Cheers

I've owned maybe 10 Aero flight jackets over the years. I've never returned one though.. I just sell it if it's too big or small.

top company, although I haven't ordered a new jacket in quite a few years..

I just bought an Aero and I'm a 42 jacket typically. I sent Aero my measurements (chest,shoulder,etc.) and they said I was their 42 so it seems like they are typical Anglo/American sizing. Best to get your measurements though. I just went to the suit dept. at my local Nordstrom (American dept. store) and a tailor measured me. He wouldn't even take a tip.

I just bought an Aero and I'm a 42 jacket typically. I sent Aero my measurements (chest,shoulder,etc.) and they said I was their 42 so it seems like they are typical Anglo/American sizing. Best to get your measurements though. I just went to the suit dept. at my local Nordstrom (American dept. store) and a tailor measured me. He wouldn't even take a tip.

Very good advise Chuck.

hi all

what a fantastic thread which i have read from start to finish!

i wonder if anyone can help? i have just taken pot luck and bought a used real mccoy goatskin russet from the states, which should be with me next week

the contract is roughwear w535ac-23380

does anyone have any info on this particular contract? ie history, or fit(i know certain contracts were slightly looser cuts) but am clueless on this one

this is my first real mccoy purchase and i would like to know roughly how they size up

thanks in advance

You should be able to have this done, yes. Flightsuits, Aero, US Authentic - you might even reach out to Goodwear Leather. I don't know how much it will cost, but it's doable. There is photographic evidence that some USAAF pilots had the collor modified that way in the field.

Nice jacket. Is that a small sized jacket or are the pockets unusually large?

Either way, put some pants on next time. There are very few people for whom I want to be able to answer "boxers or briefs".

my roughwear real mccoys russet goatskin turned up today (pics to follow)

is there any way to soften or condition goatskin? it feels fairly stiff and squeaks when i walk around in it!

do you condition goatskin the same way you would condition horse and the like?

Just wear it. It will soften over time.

• 2 weeks later...

latest addition:

4477335600_9774eb19d9.jpg

Aero B-10 dark green Gaberdine,Alpacalining,nickel Talonzipper,rust mouton.

compared to my first purchase last year in olive sateen cotton with dark brown collar sz44,this suits my style a little more,not that i managed to get the sizing right this time but the dark green with the rust collar goes so well together.indoor light and flash is not doing it justice,colour is a lot darker.

as iam planning to get a N-1 deckjacket in fall,i might going to sell my sz44 B-10.

latest addition:

4477335600_9774eb19d9.jpg

Aero B-10 dark green Gaberdine,Alpacalining,nickel Talonzipper,rust mouton.

compared to my first purchase last year in olive sateen cotton with dark brown collar sz44,this suits my style a little more,not that i managed to get the sizing right this time but the dark green with the rust collar goes so well together.indoor light and flash is not doing it justice,colour is a lot darker.

as iam planning to get a N-1 deckjacket in fall,i might going to sell my sz44 B-10.

Good score.