The Flight Jacket Thread

still

Certainly no expert but if you're not a crazy size like I am I would look around for some original G-1 type jackets. They are often much cheaper than the high end repros. Grant, Jake, Dr H, Happy Hooligan and a few others probably know as much and most cases even more than I do. I'm sure with the prices of originals being low because of the economy you can pick up a real bargain. The really good G-1 type originals are really from about the mid 1960s earlier and if you are a smaller size I have seen from time to time for much less on e-bay than even a cheap repro.

^G-1s abound. Take a look at VLJ the market there usually has an original G-1 kicking around for under $200 -- $100-jackets will show up, too. VLJ also has a ridiculous, I mean ridiculous, amount of info on model variations. If you are serious about the G-1, do get the early '60s as these have the mouton collar that ages beautifully (by the late '60s synthetic collars are used, these are cool, but don't fade and age like the lamb).

g1collar2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Back again, and here it goes with the real thing, I have done my research now and I have been ebaying every day since I got my civy fake for a real one, I found this jacket with a one day auction with patches the guy said it was from 65, but I do not know how to date it, anyway here comes the pics.

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

Very nice. Great fit. Is the leather really that dark?

No it is a shade lighter with some wear, but in general it is very dark.

that yacht club patch is hilarious/macabre

Yeah, I read the account after googling gulf of Sidra.

For dating purposes.

IMG_0191.jpg

No it is a shade lighter with some wear, but in general it is very dark.

Yeah, I read the account after googling gulf of Sidra.

For dating purposes.

IMG_0191.jpg

Sorry, I hate to bring this up but that is not an original military issue flight jacket. First Prestige MFG is/was not a government contractor and the liner is not right (could have been replaced) and the label is all wrong. Nice jacket just not a military issue.

Also if it were from 1965 and it was military issue it would be a 7823C model or earlier. I have never seen a 78230.

Hmm I am going to have to contact the guy again, and see what he says about the authenticity of the jacket. That is frustrating, I guess the hunt is on again.

Sorry, I hate to bring this up but that is not an original military issue flight jacket. First Prestige MFG is/was not a government contractor and the liner is not right (could have been replaced) and the label is all wrong. Nice jacket just not a military issue.

Also if it were from 1965 and it was military issue it would be a 7823C model or earlier. I have never seen a 78230.

That's too bad. It's a great looking repro from the pictures. The only problem I would have with it is the patches. I personally don't feel comfortable wearing the patches like I was there. I'd feel better about it if I bought a great jacket with patches and could explain to anyone who asked that It's a real jacket that I'm taking care of. I'm 45 though probably a younger guy (teens to twenties) could get away with it.

That's too bad. It's a great looking repro from the pictures. The only problem I would have with it is the patches. I personally don't feel comfortable wearing the patches like I was there. I'd feel better about it if I bought a great jacket with patches and could explain to anyone who asked that It's a real jacket that I'm taking care of. I'm 45 though probably a younger guy (teens to twenties) could get away with it.

It does seem to be a great repro, it even has the USN on the windflap.

I didn't like patches when I first started liking flight jackets, because I felt the same way, but I now kinda feel like it is almost honoring those who went before and served where I could not. I am enlisting for officer school in a couple weeks/months and it seems to be a general consensus among the guys I talked to they do not mind if you wear the patches as long as you understand what they mean and what they represent.

If the price was right I'd keep it. It looks like it fits great and now you can keep an eye open during your travels and see if you find a better one. I've been doing a lot of looking around the web for a G1 and the sizing issues make me nervous about buying one I can't try on.

If the price was right I'd keep it. It looks like it fits great and now you can keep an eye open during your travels and see if you find a better one. I've been doing a lot of looking around the web for a G1 and the sizing issues make me nervous about buying one I can't try on.

Oh yeah I would keep it too. Its a great looking jacket and a decent repro.

I spent like 8 hours to read through this thread, i wanna get a flight jacket from GW but there are so many to choose from...., i'm a noob when it comes to leather jacket, i have never own one in my life....i'm very skinny, around 165 and 130 pounds....what type of jacket would suit me? Would M-422 and AN-6552 be a good choice? Also i prefer goatskin.

I'm probably gonna spend a lot of money on it and be my life-time jacket....i just wanna have a fun and satisfied experience, thanks for your time and please school me guys.:o

Didn't exactly know where to put this. There a N1 Deck Jacket for the bigger guys (not mine though). There a sad story behind this jacket. Sounds true, either way its a great deal & would like to see someone here get it. link below. list for 275 o.b.o. & free shipping! size 48.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Buzz-Rickson-N-1-Hooks-Deck-Jacket-/270608260829?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&hash=item3f01825edd

I spent like 8 hours to read through this thread, i wanna get a flight jacket from GW but there are so many to choose from...., i'm a noob when it comes to leather jacket, i have never own one in my life....i'm very skinny, around 165 and 130 pounds....what type of jacket would suit me? Would M-422 and AN-6552 be a good choice? Also i prefer goatskin.

I'm probably gonna spend a lot of money on it and be my life-time jacket....i just wanna have a fun and satisfied experience, thanks for your time and please school me guys.:o

Hi Yin

So you've narrowed it down to the maker, but not the model of flight jacket. Good choice with going to Goodwear, but first you've gotta ask yourself a few basic questions (e.g. Is it definately leather I want? Do I need handwarmer pockets? What is it going to be used as (winter? Intermediate?) - there are dozens of choices, then there are many variations of each.

Have you any jackets that really stick out in your mind?

You could always email John, He's a great help in knowing which sort of jacket suits which type of body shape.

Flight jacket books are a great help too.

Hi Yin

So you've narrowed it down to the maker, but not the model of flight jacket. Good choice with going to Goodwear, but first you've gotta ask yourself a few basic questions (e.g. Is it definately leather I want? Do I need handwarmer pockets? What is it going to be used as (winter? Intermediate?) - there are dozens of choices, then there are many variations of each.

Have you any jackets that really stick out in your mind?

You could always email John, He's a great help in knowing which sort of jacket suits which type of body shape.

Flight jacket books are a great help too.

Thanks for your help yet again.:)

Yea, i pretty much know i'm going with GW, i like their goatskin, i have seen a few examples of this thread(like yours), they look amazing. I like their M-422 style personally and fit like yours in page 130, not too short but just right. I don't need a handwarmer pockets, i'm going to used it as my winter jacket, i live in Minnesota, so i want it as warm as possible.(are they warmer enough for you?)

I might E-Mail john to see what he can do.:)

Thanks for your help yet again.:)

Yea, i pretty much know i'm going with GW, i like their goatskin, i have seen a few examples of this thread(like yours), they look amazing. I like their M-422 style personally and fit like yours in page 130, not too short but just right. I don't need a handwarmer pockets, i'm going to used it as my winter jacket, i live in Minnesota, so i want it as warm as possible.(are they warmer enough for you?)

I might E-Mail john to see what he can do.:)

The M-422 is an intermediate jacket (late autumn/early spring), but I just wear a Buzz rickson sweat underneath and I'm toasty in the winter.

You could always ask to have a warm liner put in (original M-422's were lined with rayon I think?)

John can also advise you on custom options He can do other than custom-size it..

My only advice is if you are gonna spend some bigtime cash on a GW, then get it exactly as you want, EVERY detail.

Then you will have a great love affair!

The M-422 is an intermediate jacket (late autumn/early spring), but I just wear a Buzz rickson sweat underneath and I'm toasty in the winter.

You could always ask to have a warm liner put in (original M-422's were lined with rayon I think?)

John can also advise you on custom options He can do other than custom-size it..

My only advice is if you are gonna spend some bigtime cash on a GW, then get it exactly as you want, EVERY detail.

Then you will have a great love affair!

Yea, i might just wear a sweater underneath, it should be good, if not i can ask to have a warm liner put in or see what he can do. I just E-Mailled John, thanks for your advices.:)

Yea, i might just wear a sweater underneath, it should be good, if not i can ask to have a warm liner put in or see what he can do. I just E-Mailled John, thanks for your advices.:)

Theres nobody making a better, more accurate, Navy flight jacket out there than John and the goat he uses is really some good stuff. Its amazing how warm it is. Good luck and if you go for the 422 Monarch and his 6552 looks pretty sweet to so either way you can't go wrong.

Can anyone give me a little more info on this Cooper A2? I know that it's at least an authentic military contractor, but what about the age? I've already asked the seller for better pictures.

gNXC1l.jpg

V9x4kl.jpg

nPcah.jpg