The Flight Jacket Thread

still

super nice, I actually let me jacket spend the night outside during our "rain" to give it a rainwater bath and maybe get a little more grain...

I love that grain!

Wow Airfrog, that is one gorgeous jacket! Johns' skill is unmatched when it comes to a good clone. Lovin the knappaves, will be interesting to see how they wear over the summer.

Been wearing the Monarch when ever I get the chance, but no wear yet. Am gonna have a friend take some details and fit-pics this weekend, hopefully, as my camera just cant do any of my vintage/repro stuff justice.

That werber looks like it was just discovered in an old closet, fresh as! from 65+ years ago. Still cant +rep you as gotta spread.

Hope all is well with you...?

very nice jacket,indeed.that little pushbutton made me curiuos,i just checked this original Werber:

http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/a2images/We_front.jpg

does somebody knows more about this detail,just wondering.

Werber had several contracts and some of the details varied. The one I have is a 1939 repro. Eastman makes a 1933 and the one an Acme Depot I believe is a 1942.

Pecards is a good call, but you probably don't need to hit it with that stuff every year. Baring any disaster with acetone, or something ridiculously drying, every couple/few years is probably sufficient. The tyvek is good for breathability; maybe add a cedar block in the bag with each jacket to repel moths without the mothball smell. That's what I do when I bag my M-422a.

I recently used this http://www.yatego.com/sl-trend/p,484d24fd2f4a2,47ff54455a84d6_8,effekt-leder--gel-lederpflege

on my Aeroleather A-2.its recommended by the owner of Ridersroom here who is selling Aero jackets.got the A-2 used and it looked like it never got any care of whatsoever.colour came out a bit deeper and the jackets feels a bit softer now,i am very pleased with it.

Lavender definitely does the trick. I like the smell of cedar, I find it goes well with the leather scent. Rirawin - who made those A-2's of yours?

They look better as jackets. All kidding aside, at least US sourced horsehide is ethically produced.

They look better as jackets. All kidding aside, at least US sourced horsehide is ethically produced.

I dropped that bit of wisdom on a vegan at a party that was complaining how her construction-working husband couldn't find "ethical" shoes that held up. When I suggested horse, she looked at me like I was advocating the murder or infants. Even after I explained that horse hide could only come from animals that had naturally died she went into some rant about how I'd feel if someone was wearing my skin. And, honestly, if my carcass aged like FQHH, I would want it on some denimheads back.

Cash, that's funny. One of my best friends is less-dogmatic, who thinks using horsehide once the animal dies is a great use of resources that would otherwise go to waste. And I agree with you; once I'm dead, go ahead and tan me, I'm not using my skin for anything important anymore anyway.

Tan me hide when I'm dead, Fred.

Tan me hid when I'm dead.

So they tanned me hide when I died, Clyde,

and that's it hanging on the shed.

(Altogether now...)

For those of you old enough to remember...

I dropped that bit of wisdom on a vegan at a party that was complaining how her construction-working husband couldn't find "ethical" shoes that held up. When I suggested horse, she looked at me like I was advocating the murder or infants. Even after I explained that horse hide could only come from animals that had naturally died she went into some rant about how I'd feel if someone was wearing my skin. And, honestly, if my carcass aged like FQHH, I would want it on some denimheads back.

it was my understanding that most non-exotic leather (i.e. normal cowhide, horsehide, etc.) is a by product rather than a primary product. by that, i mean that the animal was not killed for the hide, but for another reason, and that the hide is sold off as a by product.

once an animal has been killed, i feel that all the parts should be used if possible, and for that reason, even though i don't eat meat, i do wear leather.

and for the record, i hate arguing with vegans, so many of them are pricks, and i hate getting lumped in with them because i don't eat meat for my own reasons.

Almostnice

At last as, promised, some fit pics of my Goodwear M-422. I had a friend take some pics with their Canon EOS.

To recap - This jacket is custom made to fit me, plus I asked for two extra inches on the body, which although is not a true M-422 'military fit', it is IMO just right for me.

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

nice,esp. with the sugarcanes.it always amazes me how long it takes to get a right amount of wear in flightjackets.i thought my Aero A-2(bought used) had hardly any wear on it,but the state of the knits and the zipper-had to fit a new zip recently-proved that i was wrong and only shows that a quality hide will outlast them by far.

nice,esp. with the sugarcanes.it always amazes me how long it takes to get a right amount of wear in flightjackets.i thought my Aero A-2(bought used) had hardly any wear on it,but the state of the knits and the zipper-had to fit a new zip recently-proved that i was wrong and only shows that a quality hide will outlast them by far.

Thanks mate,

Yeah, agree with you about the zipper/knits on the Aero A-2 (bought HH used too, then after two years sold it and bought a smaller used Goat model).

I wear this GW jacket whenever I get the chance, just like my jeans, but I suppose to get good wear (geddit?) you will probably see at least one hardwear/knit pitstop in its' lifetime, maybe two. This is why I went for the Real Mccoy's knits, as they're a little tougher, and a repro zipper to start.

When this zipper goes, I will replace it with an original WW2 Talon (..if there's any left out there!)