The Flight Jacket Thread

still

HH,as you pmed me that you tried the B10 in three different sizes,I would like to know your "normal" size and which size you ended up with.just wondering if the Aeros do run a bit small,as mine is a tagged 44,largest ( denim) jacket ive had so far was a 42.but as mentioned before,the 42 wouldnt give me enough room.

I'm usually a 44 long in most suit jackets, although a 42 sometimes fits. I went with a 46 on the B-10. I also have a 46 in their A2 also. So with Aero "vintage" I'd go 46. I owned a Highwayman that was in a 44 and it was big but not overly big, although I think next time I'll go with a 42 in their "Modern" jackets. I do own their half belt and it's in a 44 and fits fine but slightly big.

Funny how that works....

thanks for confirming my choice,as you as an expert took one size up also.

on another subject,I guess these are gentle handwash only?

Probably, I've never washed mine... I'd just put it in the tub with some water and woollight...

or just live with a dirty coat...

Just arrived - two flight jackets I bought from ebay - Both Alpha made b-15's in XL, one a B-15D (NWT) and a B-15C in good cond. Would have liked to have picked up a buzz B-15c but the prices at Eastman have gone up to £375, so buying the alphas was a very cheap alternative at £150 for both jackets, despite the obvious difference in quality.

I'm still not 100% sure weather I'll wear 'em/keep 'em...

Maybe I'll try and get some pics done.

I am on the fence getting an A2 from Aero,I know compared to ELC and Goodwear they are less authentic,but as they are available in my town I can try them on first to get the size right,which is the main reason for choosing Aero,second is their prices are suits my wallet.my question as a noob to flightjackets is whats the major differences between horsehide,goatskin and steerhide.I tried a horsehide A2 which was damn thick and firm,but couldnt try the two others.any help is much appreciated.

i know goatskin is very durable and gets real nice when worn. has a grainy pebbled texture. possible the cheapest leather of all those, but dont quote me on that. horsehide is another strong leather, i belive its smooth and will age nice. steerhide im not too shure.i think its very strong though. im no expert but i know a little. someone else might know more though?....everything i know i basicly googled a while ago.

btw, i own jackets made from goatskin, lambskin, cowhide, and another im not too shure about?.....hope this helps a little maybe?

Almostnice,

I have a goatskin Aero A-2, which is a heavy jacket, similar in weight to the horsehide Aero A-2 I owned before that (roughly speaking).

I think, comparing the goatskin sample I recieved from John (Goodwear), the Aero goatskin is much heavier, but the pebbly grain on the surface is very similar.

Almostnice,

I have a goatskin Aero A-2, which is a heavy jacket, similar in weight to the horsehide Aero A-2 I owned before that (roughly speaking).

I think, comparing the goatskin sample I recieved from John (Goodwear), the Aero goatskin is much heavier, but the pebbly grain on the surface is very similar.

I don't know if it's still true, but the goat from Aero use to be made in India and not Scotland...

The goatskin that John uses for his jackets is the closest thing to what was used for original A-2's in terms of weight, grain and color that I've seen yet from a repro maker. Other repro makers often use leather that's too thick or stiff and has a uniform grain pattern. Don't mistake thinner goatskin as leather that's not as tough as thicker leather. The goatskin John's using wears like iron, breaks in beautifully and has the right drape an feel that's really scary how close it looks compared to original A-2's.

thanks ,thats a lot info in a short while.so the differences are made clear now.I am pending between horsehide and goatskin(HH are you sure about India? ),would you like telling me your individual preferences?

That's what Aero used to do if I remember right, I don't know about today... They probably make them in Scotland today... you should email them.

Personally I like Horse Hide. Goat skin always smelled funny to me. I love the look, feel and smell of horse. You should see for yourself though. Try both on if you can find the two to compare.

I've had both front quarter and the 3oz that Aero uses on their A2's. My Half belt is actually a mid weight Horse that works well for those type of jackets.

But if I were to buy a new A2, I'd go Horse. I'd also (if I could swing it) get a GoodWear.

If you buy a used one you can always resell it if you don't like it...

Horsehide!!!!! but I am more of a motorcycle jacket dude myself.

I understand that Aero is less desireable than ELC or Goodwear,I spend some time last night at the VLJ forum ( now I know your face,cobblers,hehe!)

reading all B10 related threads and know now how different mine is compared to other more authentic repros.I am still pretty sure I did the right decision getting the Aero,as it suits my needs perfectly.Its mainly the price that is me choosing Aero.I just hope I dont turn into a flightjacket-nerd regretting my decision later...

Dude, Aero is not a bad decision in any way. Even if they are not historically "accurate" you will still have a beautiful well made jacket in the end.

Crownzip's right about the weight of the goatskin used by John (GW) - That's why I've bitten the bullet and ordered a Monarch M-422. But in order to have that jacket, I have to sell my Aero A-2 (+ others) because of the high price.

Aero are a good, cheaper alternative, and so are Eastman, but if you can afford it, go for a Goodwear (and go for the horsehide for the A-2), 'cause once you get into it - You'll want to get a Goodwear anyway !

I pray to god that I will never ever get that much into it - since I went into denim/workwear I spended way too much on it!

It's WAAY to addictive. I originally only wanted a repro pair of 50's levis and an M-422a, but now I seem to have had more jeans, jackets and boots than I can ever wear! Mind you, since seeing the Monarch M-422 made by Goodwear, I'd trade the lot!

Yeah, the Monarch M-422 looks very cool. IMHO the early USN flying jackets are thee most beautiful jackets made in WWII. The USN spared no expense in the materials and construction of the M-422. Here's a photo of an original Willis & Geiger M-422. My photo sucks but the goatskin has a beautiful, almost transparent analine finish to it and the brass art deco Talon zip is very cool. The ultimate for us jacket nerds!

When are you expecting delivery of your Monarch?

M422II.jpg

So, did goodwear just get the horsehide option as well? I thought I had looked at their site and didn't see any horsehide options some time ago. They also don't do any motorcycle jackets... right? Also, where do they get their horsehide from?

Are there any other respectable producers of horsehide that can compete with the horween stuff?

So, did goodwear just get the horsehide option as well? I thought I had looked at their site and didn't see any horsehide options some time ago. They also don't do any motorcycle jackets... right? Also, where do they get their horsehide from?

Are there any other respectable producers of horsehide that can compete with the horween stuff?

Switch, they've had horsehide for a while now. John gets at least some - I don't want to misrepresent how much because I am not certain - but some of his horsehide from Horween.

They don't do motorcycle jackets, but he does two a civilian style half belt which I think looks bad ass:

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/californian_ventura.html

front_back_full.jpg

Definitely one of my favorite civilian jackets I've seen made.

-Jake

I just saw that picture and was like, "What is wrong with this pic?" Yeah it was the shoes.

What are the price differences between goodwear and aero. It isn't much is it?

I just saw that picture and was like, "What is wrong with this pic?" Yeah it was the shoes.

What are the price differences between goodwear and aero. It isn't much is it?

Maybe John's too busy to buy new shoes? Ask him.

I am sure everyone at Aero is a paragon of fashionable virtue.

Yeah, the Monarch M-422 looks very cool. IMHO the early USN flying jackets are thee most beautiful jackets made in WWII. The USN spared no expense in the materials and construction of the M-422. Here's a photo of an original Willis & Geiger M-422. My photo sucks but the goatskin has a beautiful, almost transparent analine finish to it and the brass art deco Talon zip is very cool. The ultimate for us jacket nerds!

When are you expecting delivery of your Monarch?

QUOTE]

Agreed !

The M-422 is without doubt my favorite WW2 Jacket also. I've seen pics of them but only got as far as owning a 55J144 and a '68 G-1. Been looking for a G+ferguson for years but so MANY issues with old originals.... if you can find one to fit.

John said He will start the jacket in 3-4 weeks.

Custom made to my required measurements.

Seen pics of the russet and the new seal version. Going for the seal.

Had samples of the leather (horse for A-2's as well) and have seen pics of the cuffs and waistband (not mid brown, has a yellowish hue to them as per originals).

Burgundy lining. Yellow USN under the collar.

Original WW2 Talon zipper and art deco box.

I will live in it !! :D

Maybe John's too busy to buy new shoes? Ask him.

I am sure everyone at Aero is a paragon of fashionable virtue.

Yeah, I went to the Aero factory and all the workers had on Red Wing boots, Samurai jeans, and beautiful chambray shirts. Some of them were even sporting the much hipper and fashionista-ish mister freedom clothes.