what is a good profession?

ik999

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one too many fortune cookies DDML?

i have a feeling I will probably wear jeans to work forever. My dad is a closet hippy who begrudgingly wore chinos to work but always tried to slip one by people with casual stuff like those all-black Reeboks back in the '80s. I am far worse, as people at work yell at me for my jeans and sneakers, not even getting to the point of discussing how I never wash my jeans. And jesus, the things that have touched those jeans...

About 10 years from now, I'm gonna channel some DDML-inspired fits into my own wardrobe, my time in Asia will probably come to a close with me buying up a lifetime's supply of Japanese jeans before I leave...

heh----old man diddy steez

anyway, found the quote----from thoreau:

A man who has at length found something to do will not need to get a new suit to do it in; for him the old will do, that has lain dusty in the garret for an indeterminate period. Old shoes will serve a hero longer than they have served his valet — if a hero ever has a valet — bare feet are older than shoes, and he can make them do. Only they who go to soires and legislative balls must have new coats, coats to change as often as the man changes in them. But if my jacket and trousers, my hat and shoes, are fit to worship God in, they will do; will they not? Who ever saw his old clothes — his old coat, actually worn out, resolved into its primitive elements, so that it was not a deed of charity to bestow it on some poor boy, by him perchance to be bestowed on some poorer still, or shall we say richer, who could do with less? I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes. If there is not a new man, how can the new clothes be made to fit? If you have any enterprise before you, try it in your old clothes. All men want, not something to do with, but something to do, or rather something to be. Perhaps we should never procure a new suit, however ragged or dirty the old, until we have so conducted, so enterprised or sailed in some way, that we feel like new men in the old, and that to retain it would be like keeping new wine in old bottles.

Our moulting season, like that of the fowls, must be a crisis in our lives. The loon retires to solitary ponds to spend it. Thus also the snake casts its slough, and the caterpillar its wormy coat, by an internal industry and expansion; for clothes are but our outmost cuticle and mortal coil. Otherwise we shall be found sailing under false colors, and be inevitably cashiered at last by our own opinion, as well as that of mankind.

We don garment after garment, as if we grew like exogenous plants by addition without. Our outside and often thin and fanciful clothes are our epidermis, or false skin, which partakes not of our life, and may be stripped off here and there without fatal injury; our thicker garments, constantly worn, are our cellular integument, or cortex; but our shirts are our liber, or true bark, which cannot be removed without girdling and so destroying the man. I believe that all races at some seasons wear something equivalent to the shirt. It is desirable that a man be clad so simply that he can lay his hands on himself in the dark, and that he live in all respects so compactly and preparedly that, if an enemy take the town, he can, like the old philosopher, walk out the gate empty-handed without anxiety. While one thick garment is, for most purposes, as good as three thin ones, and cheap clothing can be obtained at prices really to suit customers; while a thick coat can be bought for five dollars, which will last as many years, thick pantaloons for two dollars, cowhide boots for a dollar and a half a pair, a summer hat for a quarter of a dollar, and a winter cap for sixty-two and a half cents, or a better be made at home at a nominal cost, where is he so poor that, clad in such a suit, of his own earning, there will not be found wise men to do him reverence?

i'm looking to study something in university. right now i've completely no idea. what jobs apart from being a pilot(i've colour deficiency) allows me to travel?

the best job you can have if you want to travel a lot is to be a travel writer. seriously. i have friends that do this and the places they go are amazing, and not just standard tourist destinations, either, in general, quite the opposite. and EVERYTHING is always comped. new toursit destinations will pay the writeres to come in exchange for a (hopefully) positive story. although it takes some grunt work after college to move up in ranks at magazines (or freelance) the benefits can be excellent (pays decently, too once you are writing by-lined articles).

So you’re not 20 yet and you’re already at the stage where you want to trade your dreams for some money? By the time you’re thirty you’ll be having bi-monthly (first and third Friday of the month, from 10:00 to 10:20), mechanical sex with a wife you’ve never bothered to really know, driving every morning to a job that leaves you cold and talking weather with colleagues that you can barely distinguish from one another. But your house will be bigger and your car nicer than if you had gone for something you enjoyed, so everything will be just dandy 

i wish i'd gone to some tradeschool

be a plumber or someshit

electrician

carpenter

car mechanic

AMEN! Tradeschool is so under rated. Good pay, good hours, low stress, can wear jeans, don t have to study constantly. The Canadian government is dying for tradespeople and offering big bonuses. Plus welding shit is cool.

Re: this thread. If you are in Canada DO NOT go into medicine unless you know ABSOLUTELY that there is nothing else that will satisfy you. It is total and complete bullshit. It s damn near impossible to get in, you get dumped on constantly, most docs are pricks even to people they like, you get paid next to nothing relative to the amount of school/stress/hours, not to mention that you lose your soul in the process.

the best job you can have if you want to travel a lot is to be a travel writer. seriously. i have friends that do this and the places they go are amazing, and not just standard tourist destinations, either, in general, quite the opposite. and EVERYTHING is always comped. new toursit destinations will pay the writeres to come in exchange for a (hopefully) positive story. although it takes some grunt work after college to move up in ranks at magazines (or freelance) the benefits can be excellent (pays decently, too once you are writing by-lined articles).

there was a nytimes article about this not too long ago. it said it basically sucks...I'd personally love to do this. Actually signed up to do that travel channel 5 points show or whatever it's called...But then again, i'd feel like if i were going to a place, for a job, it would be kind of tiresome after a while.

i wish i'd gone to some tradeschool

be a plumber or someshit

electrician

carpenter

car mechanic

that kind of thing

break in some jeans

be handy

manly

be helpful around the house

or a pig

anything but a fucking pencil-pushing desk-jockey

naameen? i think you do

i have 2 friends that did tradeschool. 1 is a carpenter making cabinets for stables for horse shows. It pays $1800 a cabinet, he does like 1 every few days or so. my other buddy is a full plumber now. Kid charges as much as a lot of lawyers do. TRADES schools are very underrated. People don't realize how much money they make..

there was a nytimes article about this not too long ago. it said it basically sucks...I'd personally love to do this. Actually signed up to do that travel channel 5 points show or whatever it's called...But then again, i'd feel like if i were going to a place, for a job, it would be kind of tiresome after a while.

i know severla travel writers. zero of them say it sucks. especially those who work freelance, as they can basically choose whatever trips they want to go on. one went camping in the gobi desert with mongolians. i'd love to get paid to do that.

Guest jeffvyain

i'm about to graduate and i still don't know what i want to do. i was planning my way into the music industry when i came to nashville, but i've been watching people lose their jobs left and right for the past year, and while there certainly is a lot of opportunity still there, it's ridiculously cut-throat, and 90% of the people that are actually making money are throwing down uppers all day to keep going hard enough to keep "making it."

there's lots of other stuff i like though. my real problem is that i'm good at damn near everything i do. ideally, i would just walk into some form of management, but i don't know how that is actually plausible.

i have 2 friends that did tradeschool. 1 is a carpenter making cabinets for stables for horse shows. It pays $1800 a cabinet, he does like 1 every few days or so. my other buddy is a full plumber now. Kid charges as much as a lot of lawyers do. TRADES schools are very underrated. People don't realize how much money they make..

exactly, my good friend class of 98, barely grad, so he went out to home depot and bought a snake, posted fliers around neighborhoods, now, he has his own plumbing company and makes 8 figures a year

i'm about to graduate and i still don't know what i want to do. i was planning my way into the music industry when i came to nashville, but i've been watching people lose their jobs left and right for the past year, and while there certainly is a lot of opportunity still there, it's ridiculously cut-throat, and 90% of the people that are actually making money are throwing down uppers all day to keep going hard enough to keep "making it."

there's lots of other stuff i like though. my real problem is that i'm good at damn near everything i do. ideally, i would just walk into some form of management, but i don't know how that is actually plausible.

I work in music and have several friends working at both major and independent music publishers/labels in Nashville. Sure, it's a fun town, but people have to realize that your salary working in the music biz will be insanely terrible for a good 70% of your career, and probably even lower being in Nashvile vs. LA or NYC. Luckily, I work with music for a major tech. company, so I get to bystep this ugly inconvenience.

So you’re not 20 yet and you’re already at the stage where you want to trade your dreams for some money? By the time you’re thirty you’ll be having bi-monthly (first and third Friday of the month, from 10:00 to 10:20), mechanical sex with a wife you’ve never bothered to really know, driving every morning to a job that leaves you cold and talking weather with colleagues that you can barely distinguish from one another. But your house will be bigger and your car nicer than if you had gone for something you enjoyed, so everything will be just dandy 

I always talk weather with colleagues I don't know :(

He heh. You know what though? As disgusting as it is, it only took me a year out of university for me to realize that I didn't have the patience to go after my dreams of being something like a talent agent, label exec, or doing marketing for a major fashion house. The more internships I did and people I met, the more I realized that people wanting fun/exciting/rewarding careers are the same ones who usually won't be making much money for the first half of their lives (there are of course, exceptions).

As much as I'd like to be in one of my "dream jobs", I'm not content with the notion of making $65,000 a year when I am 30, but loving my job because I get to hang out at celebrity parties or manage great bands. I really think that I will be happier if I am working my ass off 80 hours a week for an investment bank but am getting paid $300K to do it. Then again, 5 years down the road, I will probably be thinking back to Fuuma's post whilst crying into my keyboard and blowing my nose on my Hermes tie........ he heh

I have an innate distaste for hard, mundane work, sort of like Marcello Mastroianni who was called "the laziest man in the world" by some.

Accounting seems like one of the dullest jobs out there, unless you somehow are very creative at numbers and manage to work out of Switzerland for dodgy eccentrics and ex-prime ministers of obscure nations.

Guest jeffvyain

As much as I'd like to be in one of my "dream jobs", I'm not content with the notion of making $65,000 a year when I am 30, but loving my job because I get to hang out at celebrity parties or manage great bands. I really think that I will be happier if I am working my ass off 80 hours a week for an investment bank but am getting paid $300K to do it. Then again, 5 years down the road, I will probably be thinking back to Fuuma's post whilst crying into my keyboard and blowing my nose on my Hermes tie........ he heh

honestly, i've been thinking about dropping music for exactly that. only downside is that i won't be able to wear jeans. and yea, the only way i would even think about doing music is either in NY or LA.

buyer or merchandise planner for a retail dept store chain. its like shopping directly from the vendors everyday on a very large scale

how'd you get that job? school degree/connections? friends/connections? or simply applied for the job?

Heh. This made me laugh.

I'm going to have to agree with England on this. I think Fuuma's comments reflects a huge biasness that seems to prevade Western youth today; especially with television (i.e. American Idol) and modern education (i.e. everyone is unique / follow your dreams) pushing the notion that "You shouldn't trade in your dreams for money." As an American growing up, I tended to think the same. But having lived and worked abroad, having been exposed to other cultures, socio-economic classes, and the real realities of a global economy; you start to realize things aren't so black and white. Personally, I think its better to work your ass off young, reap the fruits of your labor, and later on, if you get tired of it, then fine, pursue your "dreams". I think a lot of Western youth nowadays demand instant gratification in their lives and assume they are entitled to things just because. Now working in Japan with people of a entirely different cultural mindset, I've started to appreciate the virtue of patience and that successes in one's life come gradually and are more rewarding if you have to work hard to get there. I'm not saying you should slave your life to a coporate just to satify some warped notion of self-fulfillment, but rather it's a lot easier to try something new if you've got something to fall back on and say, $500,000 in saved investment then it is starting from scratch. I'm reminded by a quote from the book Ugly Americans that hit upon a practical underlying principal: "Always have a way out," that is, always keep your eye on the exit if things go AWOL in your life and have a plan B. Keep on improving and cultivating yourself, never get lazy. Sure, money cant buy happiness, but it sure as hell makes life a lot more comfortable. As long as you keep your goals and priorities in check, I think you can always achieve a healthy balanace of adaquete monetary conpensation and emotional satisfaction.