what is a good profession?

ik999

Definitely an interesting point of view Raj. I agree with you wholeheartedly on this, in that patience being a virtue is an excellent philosophy to subscribe to when on the career path.

That, and it will make the success you experience all the more worthwhile.

I think the vital difference between you and the OP is the attitude towards career/life. It seems that he is looking for just that instant gratification, only that he expects it to be instant, and also last a lifetime. Essentially what I'm saying is that he appears to be lacking in that balance between compensation and satisfaction.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what i mean by easy -> job where i am value for my knowledge and expertise

i dont want a job where i am having to lots of tedious or boring tasks

also i am not interested by trade jobs

is there anyone inside who is an accountant that I can ask?

I think if you don't want a job that deals with tedious or boring tasks, a career in accounting might not be the best idea...

i know severla travel writers. zero of them say it sucks. especially those who work freelance, as they can basically choose whatever trips they want to go on. one went camping in the gobi desert with mongolians. i'd love to get paid to do that.

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=FA0617F6345B0C708DDDAB0894DF404482

thats the article, you need timeselect to get it though. I was just paraphrasing what i read month ago. What exactly is the "going rate" for such an adventure?

england and djrajio. I wholeheartedly concur, and it's only because i've traveled a bit that i think that way.

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=FA0617F6345B0C708DDDAB0894DF404482

thats the article, you need timeselect to get it though. I was just paraphrasing what i read month ago. What exactly is the "going rate" for such an adventure?

england and djrajio. I wholeheartedly concur, and it's only because i've traveled a bit that i think that way.

I don't know... dude (the writer) sounds bitter. maybe he's getting old. my friends who do it are in their twenties, so perhaps they just have more patience for the bullshit side of it.

the writers i know are mainly freelance (more cash) and get paid by the word for their articles, so, it depends on the length. I also have a friend who works directly for Budget Travel... working FOR a magazine is less money, but more stability (obviously)... think mid 40's for salary (for someone in their 20's), but all your vacations completely comped.

what i mean by easy -> job where i am value for my knowledge and expertise

also i am not interested by trade jobs

Of all the schools you listed that you applied to, if you end up going into accounting...goto Waterloo. The co-op program there will give you some very, very nice networking oppurtunities.

Maybe you should look into being a chef like someone else said. My buddy is studying at George Brown and he loves it. Hell, they even have a course on wine tasting.

Heh. This made me laugh.

I'm going to have to agree with England on this. I think Fuuma's comments reflects a huge biasness that seems to prevade Western youth today; especially with television (i.e. American Idol) and modern education (i.e. everyone is unique / follow your dreams) pushing the notion that "You shouldn't trade in your dreams for money." As an American growing up, I tended to think the same. But having lived and worked abroad, having been exposed to other cultures, socio-economic classes, and the real realities of a global economy; you start to realize things aren't so black and white. Personally, I think its better to work your ass off young, reap the fruits of your labor, and later on, if you get tired of it, then fine, pursue your "dreams". I think a lot of Western youth nowadays demand instant gratification in their lives and assume they are entitled to things just because. Now working in Japan with people of a entirely different cultural mindset, I've started to appreciate the virtue of patience and that successes in one's life come gradually and are more rewarding if you have to work hard to get there. I'm not saying you should slave your life to a coporate just to satify some warped notion of self-fulfillment, but rather it's a lot easier to try something new if you've got something to fall back on and say, $500,000 in saved investment then it is starting from scratch. I'm reminded by a quote from the book Ugly Americans that hit upon a practical underlying principal: "Always have a way out," that is, always keep your eye on the exit if things go AWOL in your life and have a plan B. Keep on improving and cultivating yourself, never get lazy. Sure, money cant buy happiness, but it sure as hell makes life a lot more comfortable. As long as you keep your goals and priorities in check, I think you can always achieve a healthy balanace of adaquete monetary conpensation and emotional satisfaction.

I think you need to look at the actual context my comment was made to understand what was said. The initial poster didn’t say something along the lines of: “I want to drop out and become a rock star (to get some bitches), do you think I should finish middle school and possibly pursue higher education, if it helps I don’t have connections and don’t know how to sing or play an instrument but I’ve got a Red hot chilli pepper poster in my room.â€

From the limited data I can gather from this thread, the OP is interested in a viable field of study (industrial design) that can lead to a career in the same domain and offers various job possibilities, up to starting your own thing, even if it’s just with 3 young turks like you. It actually requires some work and personal investment (you mentioned the virtue of patience and rewarding success that comes gradually) and the starting salaries might not be as high as in other fields mentioned, but, depending on where you work, nothing to scoff at either. However, he’s so in need of instant monetary gratification that, instead, he asks about totally unrelated fields and says he wants a high paying job where you don’t work much. I would say you’re taking things in reverse if you think that the industrial design choice is the one where the OP seeks instant gratification, my guess is that he dreams of easy money and is ready to sacrifice self-fulfillment for it. I happen to think he is just shopping for disappointment in the long run.

As for the different cultural take on success, it is an interesting topic but I would say there are a few things to keep in mind:

• Material wealth actually increases happiness, when you go from, shall we say, not so good to relatively okay, and then stops having any impact (according to current studies-keep in mind I’m not an expert) on your happiness level. Countries that had a large surge of development in the last 50 years are full of people who experienced that improvement, while they don’t have a large % of their population that experienced, over a few generations, the disappointment of investing a lot of their energy into material success, with little to show for it in the way of increased satisfaction. I’m relatively sure that, all things staying the same, in 50 yrs you’ll see that those values are a lot less prevalent in countries like Japan or (urbanized) India.

• While I wouldn’t say individualism is not a surprisingly important part of, say, Chinese society, success is defined, to a greater extent than in the “Western worldâ€, as a multi-generational, familial thing. This is kinda like the (cliché) immigrant ethos where the first generation busts it’s ass at relatively low level jobs, get some money out of it and send the second-gen to pursue a high-profile, traditionally respected, career. As much as you can have respect for that approach, depending on what your background is, you might want to examine a larger range of possibilities than that. I know it can be oppressing for some second-gen and I certainly would not like to extend that way of thinking to everyone.

So, my short answer would be: if it’s a legitimate, attainable career path and the pay is nothing to scoff at, why not do what you’re interested in; you’ll enjoy your life more. There are plenty of people that enjoy accounting and the pay is pretty good, great for them, but if you’re not passionate about that stuff, don’t do it.

thank you for responding

i do not want to sound like i do not want to do any work

i will work very hard for my living

but i do not want to work - inefficiently-

i want to make the best of my time and effort

some field having people do very hard boring tedious work but no fair return ( doctor , engineer )

i do not want this

i am not looking for cheap shortcut because i know there is no such thing

i am asking for how to make the best smart decision that will define my life in the distance

but also i do not want to chase just interesting things and then possibly look back and say fucking

accounting appears nice because it is very broad there are large opportunities

but if it does not work successfully then what else

what else is there inside financial world that is a good living

thank you for responding

i do not want to sound like i do not want to do any work

i will work very hard for my living

but i do not want to work - inefficiently-

i want to make the best of my time and effort

some field having people do very hard boring tedious work but no fair return ( doctor , engineer )

i do not want this

i am not looking for cheap shortcut because i know there is no such thing

i am asking for how to make the best smart decision that will define my life in the distance

but also i do not want to chase just interesting things and then possibly look back and say fucking

accounting appears nice because it is very broad there are large opportunities

but if it does not work successfully then what else

what else is there inside financial world that is a good living

if you're considering a 4 year university, my suggestion would be to just go in undeclared. if you're unsure about it now, what makes you think the decision within next six months will cement your educational path for the next 4 years and then ultimate career path for the next 50? Take some classes and gen ed's your first year to test the waters and choose what you want to do when you have some basis in what these fields are about.

anything in the financial world (other than maybe, a teller or something) makes a good living

investment banker

financial analyst

economist

financial planner

venture capitalist

I agree....

although I would argue that travel journalists have just about the best job in the world..... Ian wright, anthony bourdain...etc...