right now im seeing in accounting

i applied..

accounting co-op @ waterloo

business @ mcmaster

commerce @ u of toronto

administration @ york

management (b.com) @ ryerson

i am not sure about accounting any more

what is a good profession that is easy and pays alot? so far i thought of lawyer

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Accounting is definately not a easy job unless you want to apply for simple book keeping role. I don't know what accounting is like in the US, but here in aus it only pays alot when you are in high positions and the work hours you get is not worth it imo. Also the fact that you pretty much need to become a CA to actually make some decent amount of money in accounting is something you should consider. Oh and also the membership fees you need to pay.

Aside from that, accounting is actually a pretty good skill to acquire. The things you learn throughout an accounting course will become very useful later in your life.

I find law quite interesting and fun to learn also.

If you want an easy job and good pay, you can look into blue collar work or look into management.

in california, junior college students are having a hard time getting into the better architecture schools, such as cal poly. but many in my arch dept. have transfered over easliy under construction management. and my teachers were telling me it pays way more off the bat...like twenty grand more a year or some absurd amount.

i noticed that being capable in multiple professions is best. my father does haz. mat. maintanence/inspection for gas stations on the side of his engineering firm, in which he knows electrical, mechanical, and structural. he barely does shit and makes 6 figures a year.

but i want to quit my education goals and become a professional bowler, damnit! that, or some job that pays to massage boobies on pretty women.

A better question to ask is what do you want out of life?

Or not. Just go into accounting. You'll follow a safe and structured career path to a fairly high salary. Bonus, you won't have to rely too heavily on those English skills of yours, and you won't have to think too creatively often. A monotonous lifestyle of conspicuous consumption awaits you!

ps. I'm entertaining the thought of law school myself. Life sucks dickhead.

you'll get paid a decent amount of money once you get out of college with accounting just because businesses are getting raped due to the enron scandal. But unless you like sitting at your desk crunching numbers for hours on end its the job for you!

If i were you, i'd get a nice hydro system going and start selling bud through a delivery service. Then you can keep track of all your expenses and revenue without having to go to school. That way you get your accounting fix and get high!

oh man, this seems to be the epitome of the stereotype. this guy isn't even in university yet and any/all of his creative/independent thought has been killed into easy/pays/professional career.

As much of a cliché as it is, choose a subject/major in university that you find INTERESTING, and then worry about the career it'll give you later. You'll find that a BComm can be more than a step to MBA, that a BSc can be more than a step to MD, and that a BA can be more than a step to LLB.

(currently working towards the second, hypocritical I know, but I actually want to be a doctor, don't make me prove it)

You don't necessarily have to major in accounting to become an accountant. Several universities (Laurier, Queens, Brock, and U of T) offer B-Comm degrees with the 17 specific accounting courses needed to become a CA.

I'm still in high school, but those majors (and unis.. hehe another local!) are what I'm considering as well. I've always been interested in business, ever since I took an intro to business course in grade 9. I'm currently doing a co-op placement at an accounting firm to see if it's something I like or not. I just began a week ago, and so far I like it. I'm curious to what I'll say in June when it's over.

Guest youngteam
and being a lawyer is definitely not easy. pre-law, law school, and you have to pass the bar exam. after that, you still won't be raking it in unless you're good.

no such thing as pre-law. you could major in women's studies and go to law school. unless you're from canada -- i've no idea what the fuck goes on up there, notwithstanding i lived in toronto for five years.

law school is for gaylords. i started intensely disliking it like two months into my first semester, plus i couldn't stop giggling every time someone said "dictum."

like sunny said, with all the program you mentioned, you could major in accounting and get your CA. UofT is actually quite famous for being the "accountant" school. the good thing about a B.comm or a BBA is that you have a lots of option open until the 3rd or last year to choose your specialization so you can decide to work in very different fields (finance, accounting, marketing, HR, IT, econ, etc). as you probably know, for anything business related (especially finance), Queen's, Ivey and McGill are the best places to go. i know Queen's and Ivey are more expensive, but their recruitment network is a big big step above any other canadian universities (except for McGill) so it's really worth it IMO.

in terms of a profession that is easy and pays a lot, well there isn't any IMO. forget anything finance related as you'll be working quite a lot. being an accountant is not easy, but there's quite a lot of job securities, the pay is pretty good (especially if you are with a big 4) and the placement rates for undergrad is 100% so you're sure to get a good job out of college. a co-op program can be really good if you do not know exactly what you wanna do cause you have to chance to do your co-ops in different positions /industries. only downside is that good internships are hard to get so you might end up with shitty co-op...

as for law, well, it definetely isn't easy and pays really depend on what type of law you are practicing (it's really good for commercial law, not really for the rest...). anyway, law school is done at graduate school anyway so you have a lot of time to think about it. i wouldn't worry too much is i was you. a B.Comm is a really good degree to get if you are still unsure so i would just take it from there.

my major interest inside life is industrial design

but it is a profession that needs talent

and the money is not big

and there is no room for growth

that is why i decided to move in accounting

because the money is very big

and there is many rooms for growth

but now i ponder what if i dont like it?

i see all my friends become science student

i ask them what do they want as profession and they dont know

i dont want to be like them, i want to think ahead

if i become an accountant i will be a C A

i want to focus in insurance. not so much number crunch but more strategy

thank you for your contributions

keep them coming please

becoming a male RN wouldn't be that bad. you can get a job easily after graduating and pay is decent. also, chances are that you'd be one of the few guys in your classes.

in the end, its where you go that matters. go to ryerson. nice girls there.

my major interest inside life is industrial design

I was in the exact same situation 5 yrs ago. My interest is also industrial design and it was either between that or accounting. Looking back, sometimes i wished i went with the design route. Like you, i also chose accounting because i thought the pay is good. This is somewhat true, however it shouldn't influence your decision. You are better off working in the area you enjoy most and when you enjoy your work you will be alot happier regardless of how much you get paid at the end of the day (though the pay in industrial design is pretty bad lol).

I'm not saying go do industrial design instead of accounting, but really spend some time thinking about it. If all else fails, you can always do a double degree to get best of both worlds, but that will depend on your willingness and how much motivation you have.

All of those options seem to business related so I really wouldn't worry about the minute differences too much. If you really want to be succesful you'll probably want to pursue an mba or some sort of other higher learning afterwards. Plus you can switch from Accounting to Admin without even blinking since all the pre-reqs are going to be nearly identical. Good luck!

I studied business for 2 years and just switched into a pharmacy program. 100k right out of school, with decent hours + my dad owns a couple pharmacys so hopefully I will be able to get something started with him. Pharmacy is a great career, if you can handle the sciences in school.

^ In college I was lucky enough to land an office job that i didn't deserve (seeing as I hadn't graduated yet and had no experience in the field at the time) and learned early enough that I hated cubicle monkey jobs. I agree that I should've just gone to tradeschool for something constructive as I am a born craftsman, but by the 5th year of college that was too late.

I knew by the end of college though that I wasn't going back to office work and vowed to try and find work where I could wear jeans everyday...