the wire

^Lame.

Anyways, I thought the last episode was good, probably the happiest way everything could have went. It was nice to see McNulty not go back into the bar and accept Kimas apology. I liked seeing Bubs sit down at the table but it was kind of bitter sweet since it took the newspaper article to gain his sisters trust/respect. I'm also glad that the writers didn't set Marlo up to look like he could have done what Stringer was going for. Seeing Dukie shoot up was sad, but seeing how Bubs turned out gives me some small hope for him. Also Slim killing Cheese, that made me smile.

The show overall left me discouraged, I'm not completely naive to think that things would change, but to see the cycle just keep perpetuating itself was upsetting but not unexpected. It's gonna be weird not hearing/seeing from these characters again, they are so much more real than any other "fictional" characters and I'll probably be rewatching this series for years to come.

P.S. In the episode when Omar died, what was the significance of the tag on his corpse getting switched by the mortician?

very nice, well put comment.

im glad that this show is talked about on this forum. its sad to go other places with a significant amount of members and barely anyone knows about the wire or doesnt watch it because its "ghetto"

was anyone else happy when kenard was in cuffs? i clicked my heels...

Guest spazzz
Yeah I forgot about that. A part of me was happy to see Omar's killer put to justice, but on the other hand all of Kenards scenes basically made me upset for who he had become/ was forced to be as a result of the game.

He was killing that cat, i don't feel sorry for him. They made him out to be evil

How can you not feel sorry for someone who is driven to commit murder at such a young age? You can't hold someone his age completely responsible for an action like that. As for "they made him out to be evil" if you are referring to they as the writers I think you missed their point. It's not about Kenard being good or evil it's more about how he is as a result of the Baltimore street life.

e: If you don't have any empathy or sympathy at all towards Kenard then you basically missed out on the whole point of the series. I can get how someone would feel satisfaction for Kenard getting arrested since they loved Omar so much, or because he was a total asshole towards Dukie/ other people, but the point of The Wire (or atleast one of the major points) is to allow you to feel empathy for people who you may never know and whos situations you would most likely never experience.

Can anyone clarify?

Kenard is Lil Dice.

the tag was to show that for all the rep Omar had on the streets, he was no one off them. remember the scene in the newsroom where a reporter mentions his murder to Gus and he decides not to put it in the paper? the tag is the same idea. the reporters didn't know him, nor did the people in the morgue. he was just another corpse.

the tag was to show that for all the rep Omar had on the streets, he was no one off them. remember the scene in the newsroom where a reporter mentions his murder to Gus and he decides not to put it in the paper? the tag is the same idea. the reporters didn't know him, nor did the people in the morgue. he was just another corpse.

Yeah this is what I assumed, my friend came to the same conclusion, I just don't get the motive for switching the two tags on the body. Doesn't seem like something someone would "just do."

Kenard is Lil Dice.

...quoted for truth...

the conclusion made me see that the game stays the game... the cycle continues... just new players replacing the old ones... like michael being the new omar, sydnor being the new mcnulty, etc...

was it just me, or did that scene with kima and bunk in front of the statues in the projects remind anyone of the beginning of the first season when they were processing the guy that d'angelo killed in that same place?

...and what about that bitch-ass herc?

Yeah this is what I assumed, my friend came to the same conclusion, I just don't get the motive for switching the two tags on the body. Doesn't seem like something someone would "just do."

the wrong tag was on the bodies. the white guy's tag said "omar little, african american" so the guy corrected the mistake.

• 2 weeks later...

Missed this posted on HBO's site a few weeks ago a nice summation of what I love about this show

It wasn't for everyone. We proved that rather quickly.

But episode to episode, you began to understand that we were committed to creating something careful and ornate, something that might resonate. You took Lester Freamon at his word: That we were building something here and all the pieces matter.

When we took a chainsaw to the first season, choosing to begin the second-story arc with an entirely different theme and different characters, you followed us to the port and our elegy for America's working class. When we shifted again, taking up the political culture of our mythical city in season three, you remained loyal. And when we ended the Barksdale arc and began an exploration of public education, you were, by that time, we hope, elated to understand that whatever else might happen, The Wire would not waste your time telling the same story twice.

This year, our drama asked its last thematic question: Why, if there is any truth to anything presented in The Wire over the last four seasons, does that truth go unaddressed by our political culture, by most of our mass media, and by our society in general?

We've given our answer:

We are a culture without the will to seriously examine our own problems. We eschew that which is complex, contradictory or confusing. As a culture, we seek simple solutions. We enjoy being provoked and titillated, but resist the rigorous, painstaking examination of issues that might, in the end, bring us to the point of recognizing our problems, which is the essential first step to solving any of them.

The Wire is fiction. Many of the events depicted over the last five seasons did not, to our knowledge, happen. Fewer happened in the exact manner described. Fiction is fiction, and it should in no way be confused with journalism.

But it is also fair to note that the problems themselves — politicians cooking crime stats for higher office, school administrators teaching test questions to vindicate No Child Left Behind, sensitive prosecutions and investigations being undercut for political motives, brutal drug wars fought amid a police department's ignorance of and indifference to the forces involved -- were indeed problems in the recent history of the actual Baltimore, Maryland.

Few of these matters received the serious attention — or, in some cases — any attention from the media. These problems exist in plain sight, ready to be addressed by anyone seriously committed to doing so. For those of us writing The Wire, a television drama, story research involved dragging the right police lieutenants or school teachers, prosecutors and political functionaries to neighborhood diners and bars and taking story notes down on cocktail napkins and paper placemats. To be more precise with their tales? To record it and relay it in a manner that can stand as non-fiction truthtelling? Yes, that's harder to do. But there was a time when journalism regarded that kind of coverage as its highest mission. The true stories that The Wire traded in are out there, waiting for anyone willing to take the time. And it is, of course, vaguely disturbing to us that our unlikely little television drama is making arguments that were once the prerogative of more serious mediums.

We tried to be entertaining, but in no way did we want to be mistaken for entertainment. We tried to provoke, to critique and debate and rant a bit. We wanted an argument. We think a few good arguments are needed still, that there is much more to be said and it is entirely likely that there are better ideas than the ones we offered. But nothing happens unless the shit is stirred. That, for us, was job one.

If you followed us for sixty hours, and you find yourself caring about these issues more than you thought you would, then perhaps the next step is to engage and to demand, where possible, a more sophisticated and meaningful response from authority when it comes to such things as the drug war, educational reform or responsible political leadership. The Wire is about the America we pay for and tolerate. Perhaps it is possible to pay for, and demand, something more.

Again, accept our sincere thanks for making the commitment to watch a show as improbable and problematic as ours and for considering the arguments and issues seriously. We are surprised as you are to be here at the end, on our own terms, still standing. As a cast and crew, we're proud. But the credit is not all ours. It's yours as well for believing, year after year, in this story.

David Simon

Baltimore, Md.

March 10, 2008[/Quote]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Favorite Wire Scenes in No Particular Order:

10. Stringer gets got

9. Daniel's nails white bitch + buttocks shot

8. any scene with WeeBay

7. Pres punches father-in-law/Lt.

6. Cheez getting capped

5. McNulty with the Hookers

4. Kimma sucking on tits

3. Rauls in the Homo Bar

2. Michael --> New Omar??

1. White Cop drops off addicts in Hamsterdam and says "I hear the WMD is the bomb"

0. Snoop buying Nail Gun scene

What else?

I love that scene

pretty good list Sleazie

you remember Randys break down when hes like

"You gon protect me? , you promise, you gon look out for me?"

Really showed how low he was at that time

you remember Randys break down when hes like

"You gon protect me? , you promise, you gon look out for me?"

Really showed how low he was at that time

yeah i felt pretty bad for Randy...he's a good kid, and he didnt rly snitch, ya feel me?

Ms Anna was one of the only truly good characters, too bad bitch got burned.

yup like that young lil nigga with the braids in season 1? that snitched and got shot by his homie. He shoulda stayed out in the country. But wtf, his homeboy b sellin' sneaks at a bootleg footlocker now? bwahahaha...bitchass...

Kid almost got saved by snitchin' but he couldn't leave the hood. It was his DESTINY.

Oh shit, that scene when Cutty was back in the game and went to that party and macked on two of them hoes, with the classic door closing to end the scene type shit. That was dope.

I really liked the scene where Dukie and the gang get chinese food, and he orders the same thing his mom got and everyone laughs at him cause his mom only got that dish so that she could throw up the alcohol and start drinking again.

I just found Dukie ordering the same dish as his mom to be almost beautiful. Even though his mom is a complete fuck up/ drug addict/ drunk, he still has love for her. It reminds me of how I used to idolize my brother and want all the things that he would get when I was younger.

And then I just found it so sad that it just felt like in every aspect of his life he was reminded of how shitty his situation was. From people dissing on how he smelled/ dressed to a simple thing like chinese food, he just couldn't escape it...even amongst friends grabbing a bite to eat he never seemed to be able to catch a break.

I don't know, I have trouble putting shit like this in to words but I think my point will come across...

There were so many scenes from this show that I loved, I never buy movies or tv series but I am for sure buying The Wire box set when it comes out.

I really liked the scene where Dukie and the gang get chinese food, and he orders the same thing his mom got and everyone laughs at him cause his mom only got that dish so that she could throw up the alcohol and start drinking again.

I just found Dukie ordering the same dish as his mom to be almost beautiful. Even though his mom is a complete fuck up/ drug addict/ drunk, he still has love for her. It reminds me of how I used to idolize my brother and want all the things that he would get when I was younger.

And then I just found it so sad that it just felt like in every aspect of his life he was reminded of how shitty his situation was. From people dissing on how he smelled/ dressed to a simple thing like chinese food, he just couldn't escape it...even amongst friends grabbing a bite to eat he never seemed to be able to catch a break.

I don't know, I have trouble putting shit like this in to words but I think my point will come across...

The Wire definitely extrapolated the nuances of growing pains that go beyond the tough love of the game type shit that is pervasive in the main plot…we tend to forget these kids are still kids until those moments occur.

Pryzbylewski was a cool character too. I definitely grew to enjoy his role in the show despite his awkward introduction…it's a shame he still gets burnt by Duquan.

Which season was everyones favourite? The first season in the towers was probably mine then followed by where Marlos character is introduced (3?).

Favorite Wire Scenes in No Particular Order:

10. Stringer gets got

9. Daniel's nails white bitch + buttocks shot

8. any scene with WeeBay

7. Pres punches father-in-law/Lt.

6. Cheez getting capped

5. McNulty with the Hookers

4. Kimma sucking on tits

3. Rauls in the Homo Bar

2. Michael --> New Omar??

1. White Cop drops off addicts in Hamsterdam and says "I hear the WMD is the bomb"

0. Snoop buying Nail Gun scene

What else?

1 how my hair look

2 michael calling cutty a fag

3 nice dolphin nigga

4 any scene with herc

5 old du talking about lincolns at the poker game

6 seeing eye duck

7 omar licking du's face in the can (pause)

8 mcnulty undercover

9 fuzzy dunlop

0 big phat morning show