the wire

Watching season 3 right now. The whole scene where Cutty mans up and tells Avon he's done gets me every time, especially how Avon still respects him after he walks out.

Great scene when Cutty comes to Avon, proverbial hat in hand, for ten grand. And Avon just looks at Slim like, "Shit, break my man off with 15 stacks." like it's no problem.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

After watched the entire series about 3-4 times, I've concluded that Season 5 is better than people give it credit for. It's still the black sheep of the bunch, but it's still very solid TV.

Oddly enough, Season 3 sucked the 2nd time but was really awesome the 3rd time around.

I stopped watching mid-way through season three the second time around. I'm not quite sure why, but I felt as though I was wired out. Have yet to pick it back up since.

Second season has always been my favourite.

• 3 weeks later...

end of season 4. Michaels a fuckin boss. Namonds a bitch.

fuuuuuck, why boadie?

FUUUUUCk

and holy shit, season 5 opener, when they tell those youths theyre giving them a lie detector test and then tape their hand to the xerox machine, i literally fucking died. If you ever watched first 48, youd appreciate that

So far, my faves have been season 1, 4, 2, 3....

im glad other people enjoyed season 2 as much as i did.

Edited by vaguerant

That's how I rank it season-by-season btw. One of the hardest shows to rank, although 5 is easily last.

I can't believe this

bumping this thread because I am rewatching

never noticed Rawls in the background of one of the gay bar during season 3

• 1 month later...

Working my way through the series. Frank Sobotka is an annoying fuck... Figure since I live in Baltimore it's time to watch. Ended up at Orlando's last night with RandR and Desi haha.

sobotka's a great character... but i think every character in the show is great.

i honestly cannot hear the word baltimore without thinking about the wire.

Edited by Layne

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

what an amazing show. just finished season 5. i live in baltimore so i had to watch it. i can't even rank the seasons, tbh, because there are aspects to every one which make them great. wallace getting killed absolutely broke my heart in season 1 though, and as toufu said it's kind of crazy how you really come to love boodie, even after he killed wallace. watching michael go from just a regular corner kid to a cold blooded murderer was fascinating. ziggy in season 2 absolutely ruining his life just so he could be in the game (not for the money, but for the respect) was crazy. can't believe it took me this long to watch it.

Has anyone ever seen the HBO documentary the Odyssey? I've been dying to see it again. A lot of great interviews with actors/actresses from the Wire and an in depth look at the series.

vimeo.com/12294722

I hadn't heard of this, but I'm gonna watch this right now. Thanks for the heads up.

I enjoyed every season except for 2. 2 made me want to stop watching the show altogether.

Season 2 was my least favorite season the first go around, but I was still amazed by the show. It was just so many new characters and too much removed from the streets we were used to from season 1. My second and third viewing really made me appreciate it though. It's my second favorite or favorite season now.

EDIT: Can't seem to get the embed right now. Just copy paste the link if you're interested.

Edited by aoi