the "ask an asian" thread.

mizanation

Jap is to the Japanese the equivalent of N*gger to African-americans. Also the word "Oriental" is quite offensive as well to the average western-living asian. Although the two words may not seem as offensive compared to the infamous N-word, it carries the same connotation pretty much, regardless of the orator's implication.

To test if s/t is offensive, just imagine you are of opposite ethnicity/race and say this to yourself, "Which (N*gger/Jap/Oriental/insert blank) took the last donut?"

Courtesy of the Reno Sheriff''s dept., if it sounds wildly inappropriate, then it most likely is.

Jap is to the Japanese the equivalent of N*gger to African-americans. Also the word "Oriental" is quite offensive as well to the average western-living asian. Although the two words may not seem as offensive compared to the infamous N-word, it carries the same connotation pretty much, regardless of the orator's implication.

To test if s/t is offensive, just imagine you are of opposite ethnicity/race and say this to yourself, "Which (N*gger/Jap/Oriental/insert blank) took the last donut?"

Courtesy of the Reno Sheriff''s dept., if it sounds wildly inappropriate, then it most likely is.

Oriental is offensive?:confused::confused:

shit i cant remember the name of the movie... True Mob Story? or Election? who was the main character?

I enjoyed Infernal Affairs more than Departed...

Don't think it's Election, it might be Election 2 though? Cause that is when the main character starts developing a awkward relationship with his son.

I really like some of these new asian gangster films. Though not as great as the oldschool classics, but still enjoyable to watch. Alot of people hated Jiang Hu, but i really liked it. Seeing Jackie acting as a badass again was enough for me to appreciate it :). There's also a korean ganster film that i watched recently which i really liked. It was the story of 2 friends who entered the underworld in different paths, forgot the name of it.

i dont think it was election, cause the father doesnt get stabbed at the end of eigther 1 or 2, most likely it was True Mob Story. and yeah i still like most old triads movie more, especially The Young and DAngerous series.

b00004z1fe01ss500sclzzzvi7.jpg

anybody see this?

Yes and it was made of Awesome. Takeshi is a grunty old gangster wannabe with a tender heart.

Why is the peace sign just hitting japan? Every time I see an asian in a picture they are giving a peace sign like its 1967.

Just hitting Japan? I think they'be been doing the peace sign since 1967.

kikujiro is one of my favorite movies. takeshi's other movies tend to be more violent, but i recommend them, too.

guy's somewhat of a genius. he started to make it big in japan as a comedian, not a gangter. he's the guy who sold the idea of what's now known as the "most extreme elimination challenge" to an american tv station (forgot which one) that became the "american gladiators", amongst all sorts of other things.

and yes, peace sign in japan did not start yesterday.

EDIT: oops, most extreme elimination challenge

ok.. could i get a translation on this please;

すごい。トムハイストリートのちんこでかいよ! ちょう、ちょう美味です。

It is enormous. After [tomuhaisutorito] it is densely it is huge! The [chi] [yo] , it is [chi] [yo] tastiness.

Hmmm. To me, the sentence reads like:

Amazing (or tremendous...) . Tom Highstreet's dick is huge! It's super, super delicious.

yeah, i love takeshi's work. he really is a genius.

i grew up watching him as a comedian, what he is still mostly known as in japan, i think.

i wish there was a single person in the western world i could compare him to who could encompass his role in japanese media, but there isn't. he really is something else and stands alone.

when i first saw "sono otoko kyoubo ni tsuki" (translates roughly into "BEWARE: This man has a tendency for violence" but in the english version, they call it, simply, "Violent Cop"), it blew my mind. it was his first movie as a director, really, by accident (the original director quit). he approached it with a beginner's mind and came up with a fresh new look at film making.

although he gained a cult following outside of japan, his sales in his home country were very poor. even though he won the grand prize at the venice film festival for "hanabi", he is snubbed at the japanese oscars every year.

a couple years ago, he complained to the media that japanese people don't appreciate the movies of their own people. after he said that, for the first time, japanese people spent more money watching domestic films than foreign films.

very interesting guy.