macbook info

rabka

Since Apple's two most recent launches weren't exactly great (iPhone 3G and Mobile Me), I dunno if I would trust another first gen Apple product. Then again, they've never gotten a computer wrong.

That being said the current Macbook (Pro)s are great. Heat is my main complaint about my Macbook Pro, and they fixed it with the newest ones.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first-run Apple portables usually miss out on something big that gets included later in the revisions, for example I had a first-run 12" PB G4 that had no DVI out, and a first-run MacBook without the CoreDuo, but first-run in a new form factor is always a better buy than a last-run revision, at least for the bragging rights.

yup, this was bought like 3 weeks before they came out with the intel iMacs. It's actually a pretty good machine, no limitations for me, and I think it's the second best looking iMac, next to the iMac G4.

i was a little of a mac nerd back then but if you bought a g5 without isight 3 weeks before the intel imacs you got hosed :D

the isight ones came out in oct 05 and the intel in jan 06. the ambient light sensors were out from may 05 til late sep 05. just sayin...

this is the best looking mac

apple4cny9.jpg

followed by the lamp

macofthefuture2al8.jpg

word on the 20th anniversary

i also hate the period of time were we're all waiting for new laptops from apple. i'm in a dilemna right now. my macbook (bought on the 5th of june 2006) is kinda rotting, it works but it's all decolorated, the airport sometimes doesn't work, and the hdd is dying. i'd like to get either an imac + a msi wind, or wait for the new laptops they may release. but well, any of those solution are costy, so i think i'll end up keeping my macbook until it dies.

(i was also thinking about getting a 2nd hand black housing, but it's lame and costy too)

ok, i need

1) a program to convert flv videos to ipod format

2) a program to strip movie files of the black bars on top and bottom.

basically i have a bunch of fashion show recordings that i downloaded from frillr. but what they do is take the widescreen video file and convert it to a 4:3 flv with black bars on top and bottom

how do i undo this shit and watch them on my ipod touch?

ok, i need

basically i have a bunch of fashion show recordings that i downloaded from frillr. but what they do is take the widescreen video file and convert it to a 4:3 flv with black bars on top and bottom

2 = Sorenson Squeeze will let you crop the movie during compression. I don't know it's price, sorry.

1 = I think QuickTime Pro should do the trick. I haven't tried it, but it can convert MANY different formats and it will definitely do so into ipod format. And it's only $20. Well worth it in my opinion.

Apple's Compressor may work too, but have no idea really.

And while we're at it, I think Handbrake is what will rip a DVD into mpeg4 format. And Flip4Mac is handy to have also, although I forget what it does, convert .wmv files into QT maybe? I've only used it a couple times.

i think that ffmpegx can do both, though it's not like you could tick a box called "remove those black bars"... open the movie, got to video, then "filter", than go to the crop section and try stuff. i tried the "autocrop" but didn't really get good results.

ok, i need

I use a program called dvdvideosoft, and it works pretty well for when i download flv's off youtube and put them onto my itouch...

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-YouTube-to-iPod-Converter.htm

Used to use SUPER video converter by erightsoft because it converts to and from almost any format you can think of and gives you a million compression settings, but unfortunately it was also SUPER-slow.

general mac question:

i have microsoft office installed on one account of my home macbook (a work related account). how can i use the program on my regular, every-day account? every time i try to launch it on that account, it doesn't work, but it works on the work-account that it was installed on.

also, am i able to burn everything to a DVD and copy the files to put office on another computer?

might buy another notebook for september

is there a significant powerbook update / revision scheduled?

thanks nerds

Pictures were leaked of a new aluminum casing so there might be a revision.

Check macrumors.com for more info on this and other possibles.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone in the same shoes as me?

I need a new laptop for the coming school year, which starts in 2 weeks, but I'm thinking of waiting it out till the new macbook pros come out.

If I buy one now, I KNOW I'll be kicking myself for months, but I dooooo need a new computer...

I need one as well, looks like it's still 5 weeks off or so. I am hoping they come out with something cheap and small, but not likely. I need a $700 Macbook Mini, about the same size as the old 12" Powerbook. :(

I need a new laptop too

I figure apple is trying to dump theyre old stock. So the way i see it, you can get a black macbook for 1200. student discount= 1400 - 200 (free ipod touch sold on ebay). So I guess it all comes down to when you want it and how much you want to spend.

I want a pro but its soo fucking huge.

fuuuck. Low end mbp or high end mb?

i'm in such a dilemma.

mbp pros: screen real estate, keyboard, aluminum case

mb pros: size, price

and mbp has those mezmerising lights.

dont know if the graphics card is that much of a plus seeing as i won't be gaming or doing any 3d work

... the mb is such a bang for the buck, but i feel like i could hold onto the mbp for longer.

both are said to run photoshop just as fast, right?