macbook info

rabka

just bought a macbook. what are some of the best must have accessories for it. bags, stuff to protect/preserve it, anything really.

And im a new mac convert so if you can recommend some software too that would be great. Im looking for some good music downloading stuff (heard soulseex was good), hows limewire?

Also, i didnt buy microsoft office. Is office 07 going to be available for mac?

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

c108-3-close-laptopred.jpg

Henrik Vibskov Laptop Case.

I bought this case a week ago, didn't have a laptop, got a laptop yesterday to go into the case.

Henrik Vibskov Laptop Case.

I bought this case a week ago, didn't have a laptop, got a laptop yesterday to go into the case.

/me likes

What's the size of that thing? What laptop do you have? Trying to figure out if it would work out for me... Thanks.

only bad thing is Photoshop isn't intel compatible yet (or at least it wasn't the last time I checked). I think we have to wait until CS3 comes out.

I use CS3 Beta. And for those of us who have CS and were cut out from Beta by stupid Adobe (I honestly hate their policies), there's always an option of finding a crack.

just bought a macbook. what are some of the best must have accessories for it. bags, stuff to protect/preserve it, anything really.

And im a new mac convert so if you can recommend some software too that would be great. Im looking for some good music downloading stuff (heard soulseex was good), hows limewire?

soulseek is terrific. it takes a while to get used to but, the best program i've ever used.

I bought a Macbook recently(ish) and was disappointed to find that it seems to be consideraby slower and handles far less than my old 1.5GHz 12" Powerbook G4, anyone else come across something like this? I'm afraid to venture to a Mac discussion board to find out the answer (if there is one)...

That is very strange. It should be much faster... it was for me -- even if with 512MB, now with 2GB it's beyond comparison. You should definitely have it checked out at an Apple Store or AASP, you might have a faulty RAM or something else might be wrong.

Also, did you update all of your programs to Universal Binaries (well, I mean, those that are available as UB)? That could definitely cause it to run slower...

I bought a Macbook recently(ish) and was disappointed to find that it seems to be consideraby slower and handles far less than my old 1.5GHz 12" Powerbook G4, anyone else come across something like this? I'm afraid to venture to a Mac discussion board to find out the answer (if there is one)...

It should be much faster. What programs are you running most of the time? Try to make sure any software you download is Universal Binary. PM me if you are having difficulties.

For downloads, I use Usenet (newshosting.com and Unison). For Office, I use windows xp running on parallels ( you wouldn't believe the speed). VLC is fantastic. Toast for burning stuff.

(just saw the others help..) are you running off airport? If your wireless internet is slow and you find the whole thing lagging, check your router.

I use Acquisition (for p2p) and VLC (for playing videos) as well. Both programs work like a charm.

As for chatting/IM... if you only use AIM and GoogleTalk (like me), I recommend getting Chax (a free iChat plugin), which adds several useful features to iChat such as tabbed IMs and IM logging. Adium is awesome too, if you want a more extensible/open-source IM client.

If you're doing anything serious like using photoshop, I'd recommend getting as much RAM as you can get to put into your MacBook. I have 2 gigs in mine right now, and it's wonderful.

As for office... Microsoft just announced (@ MacWorld) that they will be releasing a Universal Binary version called Office 2008 sometime next year. It's supposed to have some Mac-only features similar to what can be found in the iWork stuff that Apple has.

I almost bought the Head Porter Olive laptop case a few months bag, but ended up skipping it. They're nice looking, though. They make one for the 15" and one for the 13". Brownie and polka dot versions, too.

• 1 year later...

Hey folks, looking for some expert opinion that I know is to be found here...I'm looking at the 2008 Macbook series, torn between the 2.4 gig macbook and the 2.4 gig macbook pro. So far notable differences I'm seeing are as follows

-pro has less hard disk space

-pro has superior nvidia grahpics processing

-pro has itouch techonology

-pro has an extra 2 inches of screen

-pro has updated processor and screen

are there any other huge differences I'm unaware of? I'm trying to figure out if i can swallow the extra $400 price difference.