macbook info

rabka

looking to buy a mac for a five month trip im taking to new zealand once schools done next month.

I wanna get the black macbook... but just cause i love the look of the black.

wouldnt mind getting the pro just for the bigger screen and the better graphics card...but i dont do any editing of any sorts so i feel it may be a waste.

However, I do run my computer to a 32inch flatscreen to watch movies etc on... would i need the upgraded graphics card for this to be done? ... or can it still be done without a big difference with the graphic card thats on the black macbook?

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have the 1st gen mac blackbook hooked up to my 37 inch flat screen and i've hooked up my friend's macbook pro to it too and they look the same.. and this is coming from a videophile so yeah, just get which ever laptop you like the most the mbp is not going to yield a better picture than the regular macbook

For cases definatly buy something from Incase. the make the best stuff for Apple products.

Programs to get:

Photoshop CS3 (if you can afford it or smart enough to jailbreak.)

Google Earth (free and fun to have)

Firefox (free, better than Safari for surfing the internet)

Microsoft Office

Just some tips

experement with the F buttons. all very useful. (ex/ f8 will show you all your windows. kinda of hard to explain but very useful)

Just another tip i found out about:

hold down- APPLE+Shift+4

this will allow you to take a snapshot of anything on the screen. click down in the corner you want to start the image and drag until your happy.

Enjoy your mac!

looking to buy a mac for a five month trip im taking to new zealand once schools done next month.

I wanna get the black macbook... but just cause i love the look of the black.

wouldnt mind getting the pro just for the bigger screen and the better graphics card...but i dont do any editing of any sorts so i feel it may be a waste.

However, I do run my computer to a 32inch flatscreen to watch movies etc on... would i need the upgraded graphics card for this to be done? ... or can it still be done without a big difference with the graphic card thats on the black macbook?

i think only the mac book pro has a regular video output (VGA). the mac book has a mini-DVI which you can buy an adapter for VGA out out. I'm not an expert so i would stroll over to the apple store and ask. I personally have a mac book, but my friend has a mac book pro and has it hooked up to another bigger screen most of the time

just bought a macbook. what are some of the best must have accessories for it. bags, stuff to protect/preserve it, anything really.

And im a new mac convert so if you can recommend some software too that would be great. Im looking for some good music downloading stuff (heard soulseex was good), hows limewire?

Also, i didnt buy microsoft office. Is office 07 going to be available for mac?

btw limewire sucks and will just give you a bunch of shit you don't want.

Use Bit Torrent. then surf thepiratebay.net.

so i think im gonna get the black macbook on friday.

But i heard if i wanted additional stuff added to it (like more memory or programs) i need to order it online. But I havent had a mac before so when i buy it I want a little tutorial about how to use the thing.

Is it true that I have to order online to get extra's installed?... I'm sure i want Windows on it, can they do that in-store when i buy it?

And what if, if i decide a year down the road that i want more memory or something other hardware/software added can i send it to them and they do it?

Also, anyone know what kind of discounts students get? ... i looked at normal pricing online then compared it to the student discount site but it was only like 100$... but i heard from my g/f's roommate today that she got a free ipod as her student discount?

>>>>

But i heard if i wanted additional stuff added to it (like more memory or programs) i need to order it online. But I havent had a mac before so when i buy it I want a little tutorial about how to use the thing.

Just get the essential software and install it yourself. It's pretty easy and you'll learn more about the OS by doing so.

Is it true that I have to order online to get extra's installed?... I'm sure i want Windows on it, can they do that in-store when i buy it?

An Apple expert in the store should be able to help you install Windows. Are you planning to purchase Windows XP/Vista license? Make sure they install the drivers, too.

And what if, if i decide a year down the road that i want more memory or something other hardware/software added can i send it to them and they do it?

If you know how to change the batteries of your TV remote, then adding memory to the Macbook should be easy.

Also, anyone know what kind of discounts students get? ... i looked at normal pricing online then compared it to the student discount site but it was only like 100$... but i heard from my g/f's roommate today that she got a free ipod as her student discount?

Student discounts are only $100, but each additional option you add, comes with its own discount as well. For example, Apple Care is $183 w/ student discount vs. $249 public.

ya i got a free ipod photo back in 2005 when i got my powerbook g4. and the student discount saves some money. i got CS3 at the book store and it was $300

alright i dont really wanan read thru all the other posts of the mac.. .but is the mac superior in movie editing than xp/ vista?

i just started getting into video making for fun and its very enjoyable and im heading off to college soon..

bottom line: is a mac worth the money and the programs you get wiht it

alright i dont really wanan read thru all the other posts of the mac.. .but is the mac superior in movie editing than xp/ vista?

i just started getting into video making for fun and its very enjoyable and im heading off to college soon..

bottom line: is a mac worth the money and the programs you get wiht it

bottom line: yes. It is great for movie making and editing.

just got a mac about 3wks ago...never owned a mac but the transition from windows to leopard was pretty smooth...Mac is def a lot more user friendly and easier to use...got an incase sleeve...that was definately a well worth buy...i'm also thinking about getting an "Invisible shield" one of those plastic covers to repel dirt, scratches and what not....i'm still not sure if i need it or not....

i got mine over the net with student discount and $200 ipod rebate...to get stuent discount i just went to the Apple sight and clicked on the student store and picked my university...i didnt give any student ID or anything like that at all which i thought was a bit odd...im not sure how they would monitor who's using it for education

Any advice on macbook sleeves?

If it's a 13.3' macbook, I suggest the Incase hardcase shell and combo that with one of the neoprene sleeves. The hardcase looks sweet and doubles as another layer of protection. If you're flashy, I think you can still order the Original Fake x Incase x Arkitip sleeve from the Arkitip website.

If it's a 13.3' macbook, I suggest the Incase hardcase shell and combo that with one of the neoprene sleeves. The hardcase looks sweet and doubles as another layer of protection. If you're flashy, I think you can still order the Original Fake x Incase x Arkitip sleeve from the Arkitip website.

Original Fake case has been sold out for awhile. If I could buy for a non-rape price I would but I can't justify $150 on a case.

i have the original fake case which I have never used because i got a bag that has a pocket made for the 13" m.book and the pocket can't accomodate the size of the case as well. I don't really want to sell it as i might need to use it one day but if anyone wants to send me an offer I might consider.