macbook info

rabka

what's wrong with limewire if i avoid the shady stuff? or is it just that hard to avoid the shady stuff

i was actually at stussy/headporter on wooster the other day...i cant justify 98 bucks for those cases

i hate limewire cause you cant download full albums

also, EVERYTHING is corrupted

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks, looking for some expert opinion that I know is to be found here...I'm looking at the 2008 Macbook series, torn between the 2.4 gig macbook and the 2.4 gig macbook pro. So far notable differences I'm seeing are as follows

-pro has less hard disk space

-pro has superior nvidia grahpics processing

-pro has itouch techonology

-pro has an extra 2 inches of screen

-pro has updated processor and screen

are there any other huge differences I'm unaware of? I'm trying to figure out if i can swallow the extra $400 price difference.

the macbook pro can also use fw800 and eSATA drives (much faster than fw400 and USB 2), which would be important if you were running a lot of samplers or doing a lot of work in Final Cut.

they don't make a 15.4" macbook though :-\ so they probably meant mbp

edit: if you wanna save some cash, just get a refurbed mbp. they are about the price of a new macbook, and come with the same warranty and support. add on the 3 year warranty and its still cheaper than the mbp.

Don't forget the higher resolution and LED back-lit display for 15" models.

Graphics card is the clincher. Apple intentionally caps the MacBook with the integrated gfx so any intensive proc/mem usage will bog down the cpu.

I used Camino as my default for a bit but it wasn't very flexible with 3rd party support plugins... that killed it for me... though it could be way better now.

I'm on Firefox 3 beta 4... this shit is blazing.

http://macsales.com/ for RAM. I live and die by OtherWorldComputing.

Since we talking about macbooks has anyone used this program to control the fan speeds of their machine to cool it down more?

http://81.169.182.62/~eidac/software/page5/page5.html

Seems like a good idea but maybe not something I want to mess with...

I was just about to recommend this program. I was having SO many issues with my MacBook pro getting over 150degree's it was burning my hands and making them sweat like crazy when I was typing... I installed this program and it has been a HUGE help. I have to say for the amount of money I paid for this thing, I am highly dissapointed.... Called Mac on it and they refuse to believe its a problem...

if you're hoping to do any kind of serious work involving media, don't buy a macbook, those shits are basically made for surfing the internet and thats about it.

macbook pro's are much better, but still if you're serious then get a Mac Pro desktop first.

what makes the mb pro so much more equipped?

I believe it is the graphics card that makes it better..also, a bit faster processor as well, size and the choice between a antiglare or gloss screen, i think thats it?

If you go on the Apple website and compare specs on the normal Macbooks, Macbook Airs and Macbook Pro's, they are pretty similar until you reach the categories I mentioned above..

is it worth maxing out my 2.16ghz macbook from 2mb to 3mb? Would it make much of a difference? I do most of my graphics stuff at work and only do a little at home on the rare occasion but would like to get a bit more from my machine.

I would go for it. I upgraded the ram in my 2.16 GHz 2nd gen macbook and it runs faster than my friends model with only 2GB, especially for the stuff I need to do in photoshop. Mine also now says that there are 4GB available under system profiler, when I was under the impression it would only register 3. The ram was so cheap that it doesn't really matter whether or not it is actually using the full 4GB.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned quicksilver yet.

It's great for just improving productivity and making work less of a hassle. Combine it with the in-built Spotlight and you're pretty much set.

It's kinda hard to describe what QS really is, so you'll just have to try it for yourself (although it is ostensibly just a launcher). You can download it from:

http://www.blacktree.com

they have msn app for mac.

i went all all out on my macbook:

accessories:

- invisible shield http://www.invisibleshield.com/

- incase canvas sleeve

- http://www.radtech.us/Products/SleevzNotebooks.aspx

- Logitech wireless set http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard_mice_combos/devices/158&cl=us,en

- Western Digital external hard drive

Applications:

- Word 08

- Limewire Pro

- Logic Pro 8

- Final Cut Express

- Opera

- VLC Player

- Stuffit Expander

- Photoshop CS

And this is advice for pirating in general:

1) purchase a premium account for Rapidshare.com (Which allows you unlimited downloads)

2) for any program music that you want, just type in keywords and add "rapidshare.com/files" into google. For example, if you want kanye's latest album, in google search box type: "kanye west graduation rapidshare.com/files" (without the quotation marks) and alot of links will show up and you just go to those links and download!

3) A good download manager for rapidshare is Speed Download. It's possible to pirate this also, but given it's name it's very hard to find... I just bought it. What's 25 dollars for thousands of dollars of software, music, and movies?

Right now this is the most popular way of pirating stuff. I have downloaded entire series of tv shows, movies, high-end programs, etc. PM me if you need more help with that.

and i think that covers everything...

serious media = serious graphics processing.

the macbook is a joke if you're do any real media related work. Myself I've tried reason 3.0 and final cut pro and it was impossible to get anything done. I sold my macbook like 2 months after I bought it.

like i said if you're serious about media related work, get a mac pro desktop first, and then go with a macbook pro for on site work.

To keep your macbook/pro/whatever cooler...: Blueloung coolfeet

BL_Coolfeet_TTL.jpg

(the book does the trick too, sure).

-----

For MSN, I use Adium, though it doesn't support video (yet, but they talk about it since like the beggining and no sign yet), it has a very ergonomic GUI and is multiprotocol.

-----

Clopek: I have a macbook since it got released (something like june 2006). Since then, I changed the hard drive for a 160gb 7200rpm one and upgraded to 2Gb of ram. Still, when I use a macbook pro, I always feel like it's what I should buy (have bought, if only i had the credit at that time).

It's quite hard to explain, but it's bigger, so thinner, and better screen/resolution. It has a much more pro/timeless look (the mere macbook looks like a toy for geek compared to the mbp). On the paper, the specs aren't that remote, but the graphic card... One day or another you're going to need it. The fact that the integrated graphic card uses the ram makes it less comfortable in ram and graphic hungry application.

If you can get the extra cash, you won't regreat it, I think it's really worth it. (just don't take the mb air, that's it).

Another negative for Macs is the lack of AUTCOcad support - fkin shitty AutoCAD

I hate this!

In school I require autoCAD which means I have had to install first Vista, didn't work - then XP and I need to fully shut down my computer and reboot to use XP. And it takes up all my GBs.

I just got my first mac a week or so a go.

I went with the 17" Macbook Pro, it's an amazing machine coming from a shitty DELL desktop.

Programs i've installed-

-Adium

-VLC Media Player

-Parallels Desktop

-Windows XP

-Firefox

-Flip4Mac Codec

-iWork 08

-MacParDeluxe

-UnrarX

-Unison

I also have Newsleecher running through Windows XP.

And this is advice for pirating in general:

1) purchase a premium account for Rapidshare.com (Which allows you unlimited downloads)

2) for any program music that you want, just type in keywords and add "rapidshare.com/files" into google. For example, if you want kanye's latest album, in google search box type: "kanye west graduation rapidshare.com/files" (without the quotation marks) and alot of links will show up and you just go to those links and download!

3) A good download manager for rapidshare is Speed Download. It's possible to pirate this also, but given it's name it's very hard to find... I just bought it. What's 25 dollars for thousands of dollars of software, music, and movies?

Right now this is the most popular way of pirating stuff. I have downloaded entire series of tv shows, movies, high-end programs, etc. PM me if you need more help with that.

Wow, you really need to get off rapidshare and start using newsgroups for downloading. 1, you have access to more content...2, the speeds are wayyy faster than rapidshare.

And if you still like rapidshare, add Tor to firefox to switch up your IP so you dont have to wait to start downloads--And its Free!

While we are on the topic of QS...I essentially live by it. Is there anyway to disable my dock from appearing at all? Right now I have it hidden until my mouse goes down to the bottom of my screen but if anything it is a hassle when QS launches everything.