macbook info

rabka

i havent been into computers since like forever so hows the processor on the mac compare to a pentium 4(which is what i have right now)?

What pentium 4? What mac (there's more than one...)?

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hali- you can find the edu. discount online under the edu. tag. you just enter your college and it gives you discounted prices for some of the stuff. thats what i gotta do seeing as how i am a student that def. needs the discount:(. still not sure if i should go macbook or spend a bit more on the MBP

i ordered one as soon as they dropped today... i'm on a 3+ year old powerbook g4 12" and the thing has pretty much slowed to a halt, not to mention the fact that my battery died 1+ year ago so i have to stay plugged in for the laptop to work. i sprung for the 13.3" macbook at the 2.4gHz level ($1600). i'll post some pictures and first impressions when I get it next week. i'd be happy to answer questions as well, if that helps.

bob: as far as i can tell, the top-level macbook is pretty similar to the bottom-level macbook pro; the only difference is monitor size. apple really leveled the playing field by building both on the same chassis... i guess it really comes down to size preference. i like the portability of the 13" so thats why i opted for the macbook.

I will be using it as a desktop replacement as well when I'm in my dorm, so I'd have a monitor, external hdd, wireless mouse, flash drive of some sort, etc.. but then I can cop a hub to resolve that issue.

they have these devices that turn one usb slot into 4 or 7 usb slots. check your local bestbuy or bestbuy.com under laptop accessories

ajchen what kinda work did you do on your powerbook g4? I've got the same 12'' and i love the compact portability of it. i'm thinking of upgrading, but really the only thing not working for me is the battery which im thinking i can just replace for a hundred bucks. the g4 seems to suit my needs for just simple web browsing/music/word processing. def let us know how the new machines are... it's such a shame they'll never make a 12'' again...

island - apps that i use regularly every day include photoshop, illustrator, apple mail, ichat, itunes, word, and excel - and i run all of them concurrently. my 12" g4 was the last one made before they moved to the intel based processor, and when i first got it i found that it ran apps slowly. i upgraded to 1.5 gigs of ram but it still isn't as fast as i would like... it seems to struggle regularly, and much more so now than before. i struggled with buying a new battery last year but i kept figuring that i would upgrade soon and didnt want to waste money on it.

in my opinion, if you like the size of the machine and it does well by you, get the battery. performance was an issue for me so i had to upgrade. just remember that laptops do deteriorate over time, so it definitely wont last forever.

yeah aj you definitely needed the upgrade. mine is around 4+ years now and with 1.25 gigs of ram, i've had to steer clear of programs like photoshop and illustrator unless i only have mail open.. ha. seems like we use the same programs and while it'd be nice to be able to run them all at the same time like you're saying, i think i'll stick with the cheaper battery swap for now. but maybe when you get yours and post a persuading review i'll take the plunge ;)

^I doubt the macbooks will get led back lit. was it even explicitly stated?

edit: i thought you were talking about the plastic mb. forget that the $1300 Ai macbook has slower processor speed.

but yeah i dont think the 2ghz gets backlit.

apple-laptop-event-086.jpg

apple-laptop-event-085.jpg

as for being able to swap old for new, i googled it, and some guy on a forum said no. someone should call or goot the store and ask because if thats the case i might consider trading my pro. haha

will kop. real question: where and how to cop? what is this student discount talk?

buy online to save on taxes?

got this from another forum, its spose to work for the new stuff too i guess.

STUDENTS: buying a Mac at deep discount

developer_logo.gif

Let me introduce you to the Student Developer Discount.

Click link,

http://developer.apple.com/students/sthardware.html

Find, and click bold link:

United States and Canada

Eligible Student members in the United States may order directly from the ADC Hardware Purchase Program Store.

As a student, sign up for $99 and you'll get:

-Mac OS X and Xcode Tools

-1 ADC Hardware Discount

-ADC Monthly Mailing

The discount is valid ONCE in the LIFETIME of your membership:

For example COMPARE your STUDENT DISCOUNT:

product-15in.jpg

product-title-15in24ghz.gif

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

1440 x 900 resolution

2GB memory

160GB hard drive1

8x double-layer SuperDrive

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM

Ships: 5-7 business days

Free Shipping

$2,499.00

to the DEVELOPER pricing:

product-15in.jpg

product-title-15in24ghz.gif

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

1440 x 900 resolution

2GB memory

160GB hard drive1

8x double-layer SuperDrive

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM

Ships: 3-5 business days

Free Shipping

$1,999.00

Even when you factor the ipod and printer shit, it's still a better deal.

Just robokopped the new MacBook... took them too damn long to come out with these things..

WHAT THE FUCK?!?! Sounds good.. what's the catch? Seems as if there's no warranty?

if you're talking about the apple care protection plan, you can buy a warranty after the fact, for up to a year i think.

my friend told me that you can actually trade in your old macbook (his is only two months) at certain apple stores and get the new one. i call bs.

can anyone confirm?

At the stores, it's 14 days from point of purchase, and if you open it there's a 10 percent restocking fee. So you're out of luck unless you bought it up to 14 days before the new ones came out.

And as for someone saying the difference between the newest highest end macbook and the newest lowest end macbook pro as being just the screen, you sir are leaving out the difference in processor speed and the added graphics card that comes on the pro.

^ aesthetics (we're on superfuture after all.)

What I meant earlier was that the ape store config shows the 1299 MacBook having a backlit keyboard option when the keynote stated otherwise.. So people asked service reps and they said the entry level model DOES come with backlit keys and were willing to correct any problems if they didn't come backlit.. It's interesting, it's like getting a white one vs a black one back then.

Yeah exactly, but some people say they do, some say they don't, some say the reps say they do, some say the reps say they don't.. some get $150 credit for the mistake, others 75, others 50.. some get free upgrades to the 2.4GHz, etc..

it'd be nice to take advantage of apple's mistake and cheat them out of $300 or so