macbook info

rabka

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Polish please help a brother out.

Can my MBP be saved? Do you think a full restore will solve the problem?

I should add that my left fan has been making extremely loud noises for the past 7 months and needs to be replaced. This weekend I think I smacked it a few times too hard.

So I have been having problems with my MBP the past couple of days. It takes about 3min to open an app and I can't play any songs in iTunes because the song keeps stopping and loading. So basically my computer is unusable. I decided to buy a LaCie 1TB external HD in the hope to save all of the precious files in my computer and I just got it in the mail this morning. I hooked it up and started running Time Machine for a full back up. Just as I expected it is extremely slow so slow that after 2 hours it has only copied 401.1MB out of 228.87GB. Just to be clear I have a 250GB hard drive and 2GB of Ram in my MBP with a little over 3GB of space left. What can I do to speed up the process. My plan was to back up my entire HD and then try and save my laptop by restoring it.

I would appreciate any help you guys could give me.

Thanks.

transmission works well, azureus will slow down your computer. make sure that your ports are open (check in transmission pref)

Lucas, sounds like you just need to clean that shit up. Fuck Time Machine, either copy shit manually or get SilverKeeper from Lacie website. Do an erase and install and you should be fine. Fans are loud sometimes but if you have an apple store they might replace that for free, there also might be just some dirt in there.

i don't know why but transmission is fucking up my connection for the last 2 days. before, i never had a problem, i could surf the web with multiple tabs, listen stuff on itunes and never noticed any slow downs at all while downloading at high speeds like 500kb/s 1mb/s , now with just 2 torrents and without any setting being modified and slow torrent speeds i can't surf safari. fucked up

transmission works great here but sometimes freezes a bit, just leave it do his thing. and it's very fast, i'm most of the time over 2mb/sec is i have a lot of files transfering.

profmonnitoff - happened to me once... i had to ... reinstall leopard over my current setup ...

hmmm, seems like i actually cant replicate the problem anymore so i guess the latest update did fix it

another thing... can i fix this with a defrag or something along those lines or do i really need to reformat? im gonna try disk permissions and disk repair but i left my osx dvd at home so a reformat isn't really possible.

picture1vw3.png

bootcamp sucks, i just caved and bought a copy of parallels instead.

What do you guys do when your computer is just a tiny bit too slow (noticeably slower than it used to be) even though you haven't added any new programs or done anything that would cause a noticeable slowdown? I've tried updating prebindings in mainmenu, clearing caches and all that junk.

Do I just need more ram or what?

Can you even use parallels? Whenever I try, it lags the shit out of my Mac. Fucking running 2 OS.

I have no issues with parallels. everytime i tried to install bootcamp it wouldn't allow me to format the windows partition as NTSF, which really fucked with booting up. I'm not running parallels all the time, but actually do some significant work through windows when I need to.

I have no issues with parallels. everytime i tried to install bootcamp it wouldn't allow me to format the windows partition as NTSF, which really fucked with booting up. I'm not running parallels all the time, but actually do some significant work through windows when I need to.

the windows partition has to be bigger than 31 gB in order for it to be ntsf. i have around 18gb on my windows partition so i chose fat32

yeah but its based on azureus which was already a piece of shit and then they sold out to an ad company and decided to build a dreadful media player over their torrent client :confused:

yeah, it's the same thing with another name, however it seems like a lot of people don't know that you can disable the "media player" and the ads and just get the good old ui, which is much nicer

just traded my regular 2.4 for a pro. realized it'll be my primary machine for the next few years while at uni, and i can use the screen real estate.

the colors are really wonky on this screen, though. anyone want to lend me their calibrator? i'll cover shipping both ways, of course. i'm in the boston area if anyone's up for calibrating it for me.