macbook info

rabka

hey, need advice on screen cleaner/cleaning technique. Anyone care to share?

I've got a good cloth, glasses cloth, but I wanna get some smudges off the screen and its not doing the trick. I don't wanna ruin the glossy screen with cleaner fluid, but I need something to get these smudges off... Nothing visible on screen, just when the screen is black.

Help?

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just blank blue screen?

boot from disk and run 'disk utility', verify and repair permissions

Thanks for the information, but it didn't help

Three methods I tried:

1) Deleting all the login items (Didn't work)

2) Disk Utility - verify and repair permissions (Didn't work)

3) Took the power cord off for a minute and put it back in (Didn't work)

Should I try to verify and repair the disk itself?

I also found online that it might be a battery issue?

Going to try to reset PRAM and SMU.

Thanks for the information, but it didn't help

If you tell me more I'm sure I can help you. Is it just a blank blue screen? No toolbar on the top, nothing else there?

Make sure you unplug everything (printer, internet, external drives) and then boot from the cd and run disk utility.

Is it an iMac? Do you feel comfortable with opening it?

copy any image

highlight your machintosh hd icon

ctrl + click

get info

highlight the tiny photo of the hard drive at the top left corner

ctrl + v

anyone know how i change the Macintosh HD image on my desktop?

For what it's worth, the difference isn't just 100MHz. The 2.5GHz Processor is from the high-end line with 6MB Cache, whereas the 2.4GHz Processor is only from the mid-range line that has 3MB Cache. You also get more VRAM, but that's kind of pointless since the 8600M core is the bottleneck there, not the VRAM.

To be honest I don't know what that means in real world gains, but it's something to lok out for. But I coudn't agree more about the RAM. The performance increase from 2GB to 4GB when using many apps is astounding. Just don't buy it from Apple.

However, the upgrade from 2.5GHz to 2.6GHz is certainly NOT worth it unless you really need every last bit of performance.

If you tell me more I'm sure I can help you. Is it just a blank blue screen? No toolbar on the top, nothing else there?

Make sure you unplug everything (printer, internet, external drives) and then boot from the cd and run disk utility.

Is it an iMac? Do you feel comfortable with opening it?

Yup, just a blank blue screen.

I turn it on and it gets up to the gray Apple screen with the little circle thing going around in circles and then it goes to a blank blue screen. Nothing else shows up after that.

It started after it froze after I was on a few websites. So I shut it off holding the power button. It worked fine but it took a while longer to boot up. Then when I got back home later it would start hanging at the start up.

I'm comfortable opening stuff up.

Did you recently run software update?

I'm not certain, but I do remember one showing up lately but I didn't run it. My dad probably ran it.

Yup, just a blank blue screen.

I turn it on and it gets up to the gray Apple screen with the little circle thing going around in circles and then it goes to a blank blue screen. Nothing else shows up after that.

It started after it froze after I was on a few websites. So I shut it off holding the power button. It worked fine but it took a while longer to boot up. Then when I got back home later it would start hanging at the start up.

I'm comfortable opening stuff up.

I'm not certain, but I do remember one showing up lately but I didn't run it. My dad probably ran it.

Not sure if you have access to any other mac or bootable volume aside from your internal hd, but rather than opening it up you could probably attempting running a combo update on the machine and if that fails, back up(or dont) and perform an archvie and install using your discs.

i just brought a macbook this afternoon and i was wondering if there were anyway for me to transfer my firefox bookmarks from my vaio to my firefox on my mac.

if not, then its gonna be a long weekend for me....:(

I believe exporting them as a .html file and importing them in firefox mac with the very same .html file will work, simple.

i just purchased a mbp for school this year, and so far am quite amazed by it. its a great machine.

unfortunately, three months prior, i purchased a seagate external hard drive, without realizing the problems i would run into. its ntfs; is there ANY way i could convert it to fat32 so i don't have to spend another 200 bucks on another external?

So I'm still fairly new to my macbook and was wondering if anyone can tell me how to view a few comics that I downloaded from Azeurus.

I'm not sure if this belongs in the Macbook or Comic book thread but I know DUM and a few others torrent there comics and was wondering what programs able me to view my comics.

thanks in advance

So I'm still fairly new to my macbook and was wondering if anyone can tell me how to view a few comics that I downloaded from Azeurus.

I'm not sure if this belongs in the Macbook or Comic book thread but I know DUM and a few others torrent there comics and was wondering what programs able me to view my comics.

thanks in advance

Sequential is the program you're looking for

Plays .cbr's and jpegs, etc.

i just purchased a mbp for school this year, and so far am quite amazed by it. its a great machine.

unfortunately, three months prior, i purchased a seagate external hard drive, without realizing the problems i would run into. its ntfs; is there ANY way i could convert it to fat32 so i don't have to spend another 200 bucks on another external?

500GBs are like $100 or less now.

Just buy a separate one just in case the seagate fails.

the more externals you have the better I guess.

New MBP's are getting really close Duck, and seeing how rarely they are updated with new form factors, I'd hold out for the new one if you can. Are they mad expensive in the NL? It's cheaper to fly elsewhere and buy one, for some people. I had to do that, bought a MacBook in HK, and the savings paid for more than my plane ticket.

They are fairly expensive here yea, but I can get tax back within a couple of months and write off the whole thing within 5 years or something if I buy it here, as I need it for work.

Also, how close is close? I mean that's a bit my problem with they way they do this, there seems to always be some sort of update on the horizon to wait for...

Should also expect another price raise if and when the new ones come out no?

Hmpf!

I can't wait.. my MB is about to die too.. it's got every corner of it chewed up by the dog and the screen has a gash in it.. it's amazing it's still running with how much i throw it around.

September can't come soon enough..

Ok, cool!

Also should I take possible 1st gen illnesses in account as it seems like they're talking about making it a large update?

edit:

That article up there only seems to mention the macbook, would this also include the pro?

And any possible disadvantages about getting one in the US, trying to think of stuff, but can't really come up with anything...

Maybe there will be a redesign of the whole line of notebooks. Maybe there won't be a macbook pro anymore and maybe we'll just have different versions of macbooks all in new metal cases. Maybe there will be a new tablet as well as new macbook air. Who knows...