macbook info

rabka

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest No Handclaps Please
Matte for color accuracy and editing.

Glossy for basic university and casual usage.

thanks, anything specific to use to clean the glossy screen?

thanks, anything specific to use to clean the glossy screen?

Sugar Cane brand indigo denim detergent.

we just ordered 4 new imacs at the office and 2 macbooks. the glossy screens are a nightmare for design — we're calibrating everything to double check.

my two cents, far as the air-makes a good showstopper for clients but is useless as a primary machine and all but useless as a secondary. a good option for presentations, but even for travel, you have to bring so much extemporaneous shit that it takes up just as much space as anything else.

not sure if this has been posed yet, but i'm looking for some basic (but not feature-less) word processing stuff for school. basic essaying and note-taking type stuff...seems like MAC Office is NOT the way to go...any suggestions?

Free shit is always appreciated.

honestly textedit is good enough for basic writing stuff, especially thanks to the system-wide spell check. i dont have any preference regarding iwork vs office (i usually end up using office for compatibility reasons), but both of them are pretty good products.

iwork is easy as cake to pirate, just try it out and buy it if you like it.

not sure if this has been posed yet, but i'm looking for some basic (but not feature-less) word processing stuff for school. basic essaying and note-taking type stuff...seems like MAC Office is NOT the way to go...any suggestions?

Free shit is always appreciated.

It's not free put I would recommend iWorks it's worth the price for anyone of the apps

New Macbooks next month? I hope so...

Mine is about to die.

if i where you, i wouldn't count on a macbook-update within a month.

and for the basic textediting-question - i've only had great experiences with the opensourced, free, neooffice. a bit slow to open, but when it's started it's stabile, and functional.

ultimate best textediting software (even though it's not healthy to admit) is Microsoft Word.

anyone recommend any programs to download...these are ones i have already..anything else??

The best freeware I've ever used is a small software called 'Quicksilver', which basically is a revolution of the Spotlight-function. Helps you open and start software so much faster. Very recommendable. (Also interfaces by Julius Eckert is cool. Check it at www.mygnu.com/julius)

Well, heres a nice list:

Widgets:

Practical:

Music:

Video:

Internet:

Badass:

Ok I got a macbook pro today and I am still getting used to it. I know there where a lot of recomendations of stuff but there was a lot to process. I just need to know what programs would be good to download for entertainment stuff like torrenting, etc. What other must have programs are there? Also is there anything I should delete from the mackbook? Also Safari sucks. Should I download firefox or is there a superrior browser? Thanks all for the help.

^^

i thought about getting it...but isn't that what spotlight is all about??

From what I've read it can do much more than Spotlight. I use it all the time for launching websites and personally find it easier than Spotlight. Some people like it, others don't see the point...try it out and see.

Ok I got a macbook pro today and I am still getting used to it. I know there where a lot of recomendations of stuff but there was a lot to process. I just need to know what programs would be good to download for entertainment stuff like torrenting, etc. What other must have programs are there? Also is there anything I should delete from the mackbook? Also Safari sucks. Should I download firefox or is there a superrior browser? Thanks all for the help.

For torrents, use Transmission. It is pretty damn fast, supports encryption, selective downloading, and is very light weight.

Concerning freeing extra space, use Monolingual to delete unnecessary language packs. That should free a couple of gigs.

I also would recommend downloading two plugins for quicktime which will allow you to play almost every kind of video using front row: flip4mac and perian.

Personally I only ever used Quicksilver to quickly launch programs that aren't in my Dock. Since Leopard's spotlight is faster and more efficient, I don't need QS anymore.

One thing I use all the time is Skitch. The interface is catastrophic but it's really useful. It's kind of replacing iPhoto + ftp on a daily basis for me. Take any image, screenshot, cam shot, resize, add text and arrows and shit, upload png to your flickr or ftp with one click. If you post images on blogs it can save you time. Maybe there's something better out there but I haven't heard of it.

Personally I only ever used Quicksilver to quickly launch programs that aren't in my Dock. Since Leopard's spotlight is faster and more efficient, I don't need QS anymore.

for launching programs/music/documents quicksilver will always win.

but it's true, that spotlight is more efficient - fx. if you'll have to search for text in a document, or browserhistory.