what are you watching today?

red

I know this is probably too late i wear shooes, but I would go for Raging Bull or Badlands.

If you choose the former, you'll have seen two Scorsese films, both with the same lead actors. It's a lot of fun seeing how a director progresses in his career and how star power (especially with De Niro) influences how one shoots a film. De Niro and Scorsese really go together but it would be interesting to see the difference as time goes by.

If you choose the latter, then you can continue watching really cinematically stylized films. Though it's not really talked about, Malick controls his mise-en-scene as much as Scorcese and Polanski do in those films that you watched. Granted, it's a totally different type of film but you'll have seen three directors who use color and staging to really create the world of their films. The dance scene in Badlands is one of the more beautifully staged scenes in film and the last shot has a real power to it.

Just my two cents...

Old boy is sooooo wicked. It single-handedly got me into Korean film. Also check out: anything/everything else by Chan-wook Pak, The Isle, JSA, Memories of Murder, Silmido, The Host, A Tale of Two Sisters, Bedevilled, A Bitterwseet Life... the list goes on really. Probably the best revenge thrillers ever created.

exactly. I don't have much experience with Korean film, or too many foreign films for that matter, but I saw Thirst a bit ago and dug it, and just grabbed I Saw The Devil and can't wait to watch it. I'll check the others you mentioned for sure. That scene in Old Boy where he's fighting his way to the elevator was fucking sick.

Watching this tonight:

waltz_with_bashir.jpg

Film school kids are the worst, aren't they?

I knew this would happen. After I watched Lost in Translation I had a feeling that if I were to see Somewhere again I'd like it. Well, saw it this morning and yup, I liked it. I bet this is a film that people will say is important for her career as time passes.

Somewhere, 2010:

somewhere.gif

What can I say? I love Fassbender. He's too good.

X-Men: First Class, 2011:

First_Men_First_Class_Poster_Caps_Superhero_Filled_Day_1295492249.jpg

^I need to watch that, looks pretty good. But mainly cos of Max Richter ost.

It's definitely worth watching. It has such an interesting animation style and some incredible moments/images.

I bet this is a film that people will say is important for her career as time passes.

I can totally agree with this. To me, Somewhere seems like the kind of movie Stanley Kubrick would make if he weren't so insane-like (or dead).

edit: That probably sounds like a really painful comparison to most people, but I just feel it in the way she puts emphasis on her shots... and other things I can't elucidate.

exactly. I don't have much experience with Korean film, or too many foreign films for that matter, but I saw Thirst a bit ago and dug it, and just grabbed I Saw The Devil and can't wait to watch it. I'll check the others you mentioned for sure. That scene in Old Boy where he's fighting his way to the elevator was fucking sick.

Watching this tonight:

waltz_with_bashir.jpg

waltz in bashir is fantastic enjoy it mate.

It's definitely worth watching. It has such an interesting animation style and some incredible moments/images.

I can totally agree with this. To me, Somewhere seems like the kind of movie Stanley Kubrick would make if he weren't so insane-like (or dead).

edit: That probably sounds like a really painful comparison to most people, but I just feel it in the way she puts emphasis on her shots... and other things I can't elucidate.

i really cant agree with you guys there, hated somewhere! and i don't often say that about films. i think the scene in which a journalist asks "who is johnny marco" sums up the movie for me, way to obvious and in your face with its purported deep meaningfulness

anyone else tear up multiple times during Biutiful, or was it just me? i kinda knew what to expect given Inarritu's MO (amores perros, 21 grams, etc.), but this was over the top dark/depressing.

super8.jpg

Just got out of Super 8. Loved it. Could watch a whole movie of just that group of kids running around town. Must see for anyone that grew up in the 80's and remember going to see the old Amblin movies.

Just got out of Super 8. Loved it. Could watch a whole movie of just that group of kids running around town. Must see for anyone that grew up in the 80's and remember going to see the old Amblin movies.

Didn't grow up in the 80's but loved the movie. The film during the credits was great

Just got out of Super 8 as well. I didn't grow up in the '80s but I really liked it. I saw it at the Ziegfield and it was a really great experience. I don't know why A. O. Scott didn't like it: it's not really an action film so much as it's a film about childhood (which was why I liked the ending). I mean, there's nothing really to dislike here -- it's a solid script and it tells the story through the shots. It's pretty good.

i really cant agree with you guys there, hated somewhere! and i don't often say that about films. i think the scene in which a journalist asks "who is johnny marco" sums up the movie for me, way to obvious and in your face with its purported deep meaningfulness

Honestly the fact that you felt it was superficial/meaningless/dull means Sofia succeeded in part. You are meant to hate Johnny's life without his daughter, to the extent that you actually hate the movie itself. I really did think it was shit before his daughter was there, during which time I loved it, but then after she left I disliked it again. And to me that doesn't mean it's "only good in patches", it just makes you realise what a powerful sense of empathy Sofia gave us; the way we see his life and the way we see the movie become one and the same.

Edit: wow I suck at writing succinctly. Let me write an essay on this and perhaps it will be somewhat coherent.