Digital SLRs?

nairb49

how do you guys pick what lenses to travel with?

I'm going to Japan for a week next week, and I'm throwing around ideas of what to bring, I've got my kit (18-105) which is actually fine for everything by night shots, an ultrawide (11-16) and two primes (50 and 85) - any input?

^^ i did much research on both lens and the 28mm 1.8 didnt seem worth the extra $180. i find the 35mm to be much sharper. the 28mm is very soft wide open and the 35mm seems sharper at 2.0. the extra 7mm would come in handy at times, but 35mm on a crop frame is nice for a primary outside use and tighter indoor shots

As a dark horse, let me suggest the 24mm f/2.8. Almost the equivalent of 40mm on 35mm (which is a great all-purpose focal length), it's sharp from 2.8 on, cheap as hell.

Second to that I'd go with the 28/1.8 - any difference in image quality is probably down to lens-to-lens variation more than anything, and I prefer to lean wider than narrower (45mm equivalent vs. 56mm).

Just got my hands on a 50 f/1.8 mk2, and my god does it feel cheap as hell. I know about 'you get what you pay for,' but I did not think it would feel this cheap. Absolutely no weight to it at all.

The MK1 build is so much better than the mk2. All the mk1 really needed was USM with FTM. I should have kept it.

Canon needs to come out with real USM on the 50 f/1.4, stat.

• 3 weeks later...
Just got my hands on a 50 f/1.8 mk2, and my god does it feel cheap as hell. I know about 'you get what you pay for,' but I did not think it would feel this cheap. Absolutely no weight to it at all.

The MK1 build is so much better than the mk2. All the mk1 really needed was USM with FTM. I should have kept it.

Canon needs to come out with real USM on the 50 f/1.4, stat.

They have one. There's also the Sigma variant that's pretty good. And then the 50L (1.0 if you can find it and 1.2) if you want to step you game up.

Nikon user over here. I recently got the 35 1.8. I am already thinking about getting the 50 1.4. Any opinions about the 50mm 1.4?

Depends if you want the G or D.

The 1.4 G has better bokeh but the Auto focus is kind of slow. I love it though. The D has fast autofocus but not as good as the G.

Taken with the 50mm 1.4G on a nikon d90

5044476171_0b91c5a911.jpgjoel12 (Explored) by MrEllis, on Flickr

4773918890_6ba0e9d77c.jpgsteve by MrEllis, on Flickr

4874860220_7cbd2f6a2e.jpgkeep going by MrEllis, on Flickr

Not trying to spam this thread with my pics so message me if you want to see more ive taken with this lens

After seeing a D7000 I made up my mind to snag one, bout halfway there price wise and I'm actually gonna keep my D80 for a beater instead of selling it. amazing Cam for the price.

After seeing a D7000 I made up my mind to snag one, bout halfway there price wise and I'm actually gonna keep my D80 for a beater instead of selling it. amazing Cam for the price.

Id rather get a used D300s or wait for the d400 with the new sensor. D7000 has some great low light performance but its essentially the same camera as the d80, its still an amateur camera.

If you're going to keep the d80 as back up then u might as well step up to the flag ship crop camera.

They have one. There's also the Sigma variant that's pretty good. And then the 50L (1.0 if you can find it and 1.2) if you want to step you game up.

The Canon 50 1.4 uses micro USM which is basically a half-assed ring USM. That is why the 50 1.4 is notorious for having its AF crapping out.

Although I have a Sigma 30 1.4, I don't fancy Sigma's warmer colors.

As far as the 50Ls, those have permanent spots on my wishlist.

wow the nikkor 35mm 1.8 was backordered everywhere, but I figured I'd just order it anyway from adorama since it was still $199. I check back today and it's 290 now thank god i locked in the price 2 weeks ago wtf...

I think so - it's pure supply and demand.. if you're smart, you'll wait. And try to rationalize buying a 50mm f/1.4 anyway.

You can also try 'gray market' stuff at b&h / adorama but i think the warranty is different...

Id rather get a used D300s or wait for the d400 with the new sensor. D7000 has some great low light performance but its essentially the same camera as the d80, its still an amateur camera.

If you're going to keep the d80 as back up then u might as well step up to the flag ship crop camera.

hmmm... good call, I'm gonna have to see the price difference and what I can actually swing.

I'm just curious koven, what about the D7000 is the same as the D80? It's weather-sealed now with a magnesium alloy body, it has 100% viewfinder coverage. The only thing it doesn't have is the different controls above the shutter.

I didn't think it was anything like the D80 in all honesty, it blew me away! feels really solid in hand (reminded me of holding the D700 that heft feeling of quality), and has the stated features as many have already said. The one drawback for me is it's still DX format and I've been contemplating about going to a FX format for a while, but otherwise it's one Hell of a nice camera. Wish I could've seen more video shot with it but didn't get the chance.

I'm just curious koven, what about the D7000 is the same as the D80? It's weather-sealed now with a magnesium alloy body, it has 100% viewfinder coverage. The only thing it doesn't have is the different controls above the shutter.

The quality is much higher on the d7000, im not doubting that right now. Im just saying size and controls wise its the same cam. They are also on the same level on the hierarchy.

Im just telling dude that if he is going to pay 1000+ on a camera to step up to a higher level. It will feel like much more of an upgrade. I used to have a d90 and i was considering the d7000, im so glad I upgraded to a d300s. The extra pro features and controls are worth it. Plus if you want to start making money from photography, a semi pro camera does make you look more legit. For me though, I just love the way the controls are laid out, you can change everything on the fly.

I cant wait until the d400 comes out.

Guys. It's hard for a college student with a part-time job to lay down money for a NIkon 24-70 2.8. :(

Boo fucking hoo just playing.

What camera do you have? If I were in you Id just get the tamron equivalent, its really sharp. I have the tamron 17-50 and it does me well. I hate using zooms though, I pretty much only use it when I absolutely have too.

85 1.8 is a dope lens and the difference is between it and the 1.4 is hardly noticeable.

I feel Koven about joining the pro body family and have decided to sock the $ away and go FX when the time comes. If the D400 wields that option then great, if not I'll go higher. I shot with a D70 and a D80 it's time to move up I've paid my dues to the am cam.