Digital SLRs?

nairb49

post some shots in the photography thread as soon as you cop!

they're all over camera stores in Mong Kok now...asked about one it is close to 12 G's (Hong Kong currency). Saw a guy on my street walking out with one around his neck today. It really is the most beautiful digital camera I have seen in a while, honestly I'd probably rather shoot an X100 over an M9, Leica for film only (where did that guy nostalgic go)!

I agree,. id rather shoot with the x100. The leica M9 is a special camera, everything about its nice but its huge. I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting with it. Plus thats the kind of camera someone would try to rob you for. I haven't seen the Fuji in person but in the pictures and videos it looks very compact and portable.

damn, where can i buy it for cheap then? cheapest i found online used is 378

Sold mine yesterday morning for 325. Mine is from August 08 so its probably an old model.

silly question:

are the standard lenses on high-end cameras as standard as the ones which come with cheaper cams like Nikon D5000?

High nikons dont come with lenses.

But yeah the stock 18-55 or 18-105 lenses dont work on Full frame. Well they do but in DX mode, where you only get like 5 megapixels.

silly question:

are the standard lenses on high-end cameras as standard as the ones which come with cheaper cams like Nikon D5000?

But yeah the stock 18-55 or 18-105 lenses dont work on Full frame. Well they do but in DX mode, where you only get like 5 megapixels.

Like Koven said, the higher end cameras don't really come with 'kit' lenses, but if you do use a "DX" lens you either lose the lower end of the range (eg on an 18-105 you'd lose the 18-20ish range) or they just won't work because the back of the lens isn't in a good position for the full frame sensor. It won't affect the megapixels at all. See http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/dx-lenses.htm for more reference.

might be a bit too pricy for me atm...and i also wanna go more thowards some new lenses with other mm-range!...

wanna get a wide-angle lense and one up to 200mm...

got some more opinions bout these?

with what kinda lenses are you guys shooting?

look at the nikon 18-200 then. all purpose walk around lens with an insane range. decent lens/pricing, and built in VR too.

18-200mm better then having an 18-55 and an 55-200 ?

carry 1 lens that does the job of both? plus they all basically have the same f-stop ranges. the 2 may be slightly better in some area's (fringing, vignetting, etc.), but you get the convenience of only carrying around 1 lens.

carry 1 lens that does the job of both? plus they all basically have the same f-stop ranges. the 2 may be slightly better in some area's (fringing, vignetting, etc.), but you get the convenience of only carrying around 1 lens.

this + 1 .

thanks a lot guys...unfortunately my IE doesn`t let me rep. you guys, sry!

my head is full of questions though :)

one more:

what do you guys think about this kinda flashes for portrait shots?

flash_af-160fc_k20d.jpg

are they a good option for shots like these?

lars-lindigkeit-portraitfotos-autor-hamburg-021.jpg

Portraitfotos_Leipzig_01.jpg

portraitfotos_koeln_nancy_ebert_01.jpg

or do i have to step up to other ones?

I think that ring light is a little small. Usually those small ones are mainly for macro work. I would think you would want something bigger for portraits.

ryan hit it on the nose there. that's a light for macro lighting. those shots are a mixture of front and back lit shots. those pictures weren't made with ring lights. most likely off camera flashes positioned in different manners.

ring lights would produce shit like this:

B-210.jpg

tip1_5028.jpg

I think that ring light is a little small. Usually those small ones are mainly for macro work. I would think you would want something bigger for portraits.

well i just was asking for the type of flash itself. and the picture should show that, not that i would get the same size i posted in the picture...

just asking in generell what type of flash would be good for such shots i posted!

thanks for your answers though...

I should clarify..

I would still invest in a strobe and get a ringlight as an attachment rather than a dedicated ring light. that way your flash is still more versatile and you can use it off camera like funk is saying and just even on the camera and bouncing it etc..

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I'll try and post this here - I've got a 58mm UV Filter from Tiffen that I bought by accident a while ago that I'm trying to sell - if anyone's interested in it, shoot me a PM, I'd take like $10 for it shipped.

Anyone put together an entry-level list of cameras+lenses?

I've got about $500 to spend I am totally comfortable with. Was considering going micro 4/3 but dunno.

FWIW, I've had 2 D40s that I was happy with, but sold because just did not use much. Once again I am itching to pick up a camera.

Also, I'd probably be running around with a 50mm for a while as I just like quick shots :/

On a photography forum somebody asked me if a 10 year old digital back could still keep up with the newer, higher resolution DSLR's. In terms of resolution, the answer is yes. In terms of tone and color, the H20 still wins. These are 100% crops from 40x60" files made from Phase One H20, Canon 50D and 5Dmk2, interpolated in PS CS4 in one step using bicubic smoother. No sharpening.

welll, i'm looking to upgrade my current body (d70), to something else, still within the nikon family. I was looking at the d5100, the d90, and the d7000. I'm leaning towards the d5100 'cause of the price range tho..

might be worth considering using the upgrade $$ and spend on a new lens... glass is more important than body...

I have a Canon XH-A1. It shoots beautifully and is an amazing camcorder. The only problem is that it is quite large, not something I can carry around with me everyday. I might want to trade it in for a 5D or a 7D. Does anyone have a Canon 5D or 7D? I'd really appreciate any input. Thanks