Digital SLRs?

nairb49

i ended up getting an olympus epl2, couldn't pass on a $400 camera (my boss knows the owner of a camera store), will receive it in a week or two

mmmm leica :D and fwiw, i would have chosen the 7d, i just really didn't like the feel of the 60d overall and that swivel screen is seriously useless IMO, of course it's beneficial for others, just not for me, it's actually kind of annoying

for those recently looking for a tripod, I've been using a Slik Sprint Pro GM for the past 6-7 years and it has served incredibly well. lightweight, durable and quite sturdy considering its small size. if you are looking for a portable one, this is perfect imo. I bought it originally to use with a point and shoot camera, but then started using with a DSLR and haven't needed another one since.

SLIK-SPRINT-PRO-GM-TRIPOD.jpg

If you're set on the Sigma 30, buy it new from a retailer with a no hassle exchange policy. If buying used, try it out in person or from a reliable seller who can guarantee it is in perfectly functional condition.

The Sigma's are known to have front focusing issues, so it's either hit or miss. It's problematic when wide open because of the shallow DOF. I ended up exchanging mine for a Canon 28/1.8.

Being a long time Nikon user, I've decided to try the Canon camp as well. I'm getting rid of my D300 and a bunch of my lenses in order to buy a Canon 7D.

Anyone want to chime in what lenses might make a good pair with the 7D?

what current Nikon lenses do you own now? whats your favorite lens? I think you should use this as a starting point

if you got the money then you should take a look at the L series.

I've owned/rented a few L series lenses...just in case you were wondering below are my thoughts...

*50mm 1.4 - great lens at a great price. not the sharpest below f2 but a much better lens than 50mm 1.8. I traded the 1.4 a few months back for the 1.2L

*50mm 1.2L - i love this lens. sharp below f2. great contrast and color. only downside is the price. its 5 times more than the 1.4.

*16-35L II L - great lens and a definite improvement over the first 16-35mm L (rented). Not a huge zoom lens fan but this lens gives me great wide angle range...

*24-70 L - this lens was cool/ok. idk, i wasn't blown away w/ this lens as others are. I bought this lens w/ out renting it first (my mistake). i sold it a few months after buying it. I sold it for two reasons...1.) i have the 16-35mm and 50mm that covers most of the range of the 24-70. 2.) f*cking thing is heavy as hell...lens weighs more than my camera (5d mark II).

*70-200mm 2.8 II L - i've only rented this lens and love it. its fast and constant aperature and has image stabilization. I hope to get this eventually...gotta save some money.

hope that helps.

My primary on the Nikon set was:

18-200mm

I also frequently used a 50mm f/1.8 as well as a 50mm f/1.4 (although with the 1.5x crop it was a bit too "close" for me)

what range did you find yourself using most on your 18-200?

50mm on a canon is going to be even closer because canon's crop is 1.6x.

the 50 1.4 USM is known for its motor to go out, the 17-55 is known to accumulate A LOT of dust inside, and the 24-70L is heavy as hell and didn't wow me either (re: kidaradio).

fwiw, my 7d is paired with either a 24-105L for daytime "all purpose", a 10-22 EF-S for UWA, or a 28 1.8 for a normal-fast prime.

My primary on the Nikon set was:

18-200mm

I also frequently used a 50mm f/1.8 as well as a 50mm f/1.4 (although with the 1.5x crop it was a bit too "close" for me)

agreed thats why im looking for a 35mm or possibly 28

quick review:

My parents bought themselves a 60D last week that I've gotten to play with. It's about as heavy as my D700, feels just as solid (I'm sure it's not, for the most part). Viewfinder is big and bright for a crop sensor camera (particularly in comparison to the T2i they were also considering), until you zoom out with the 18-135IS kit lens. f/5.6 gets dark fast indoors.

Usage wise, cycling through AF points with a button and wheel is kind of annyoing vs. the Nikon joystick I'm used to. The deeper Canon grip works better for my big hands, but overall ergonomics are about equal.

The articulating screen is interesting, but I'm not fond of holding an SLR at arm's length to shoot, it's too unstable. Probably a bigger deal for video users.

3200 ISO looks damn good, even printed large. I'll post a snapshot I took of their new corgi puppy while I was showing my mom how to use her new Rapid Strap. Five minutes in Lightroom 3 and I sent it to Costco to print at 20x30 on their Epson 7880 - it looks surprisingly good. I probably need more skill in sharpening for that size output anyway, but I was pretty happy.

5468768611_c444a80324_z.jpg

River by celluloidpropaganda, on Flickr